Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith & Morehouse Kokanee
The DWR has not planted any more Kokes in S&M since 2018 but it looks like the first run of spawning Kokes have showed up. I wonder if the reservior will be able to sustain it's own population.

[Image: salmon3.jpg]

[Image: salmon4.jpg]
Can you tell how big they are?
(09-13-2021, 01:56 AM)lovetofish Wrote: The DWR has not planted any more Kokes in S&M since 2018 but it looks like the first run of spawning Kokes have showed up. I wonder if the reservior will be able to sustain it's own population.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing them with us.
FYI:
The method you used for posting that last pic was only a temporary method that was being used until the main method that you used was fixed.

There are two different servers used on BFT, one that host the pics on this site and the other is only for adding text and PDF files. The one you used on that last pic was only meant for files and if it fills up too fast because of members posting pics the owner will need to start deleting old post that have pics in them because they use too much space in the server. Before the old site was shut down, this was a problem we were having.with it, so that was why they made this change on this new site, thanks for understanding why your last pic was deleted.
lovetofish Wrote:Thanks for the heads up. After I posted and it showed up I didn't even know what I did. I actually hit the back button  to start over again and posted the pics again but the last big one posted too. I'll know what to do  next time.

doitall5000 Wrote:Can you tell how big they are?

I didn't take the pictures so I really don't know. If I had to guess I would think about 18 inches. I don't think the growth rate at S&M is as fast as the kokes at Strawberry or the Gorge. I haven't fished there for about 3 years and the ones I caught then were right around 12 inches. I know when reading the stocking reports they were about 3 inches. I don't think they spawn until their 4th year but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone who knows more about Kokanee could chime in.
Cool to see them spawning there and the substrate looks good.  Most of them spawn at Age-4, but it's not uncommon to see them spawning younger or in some cases older.  In Sheep Creek we have a lot of Age-3s and 4s, but commonly see Age-2s as well.  The Age-2s will be about 12-14 inches.  A few times over the years I've even observed kokanee smaller than that in the run, around 6-8 inches, which would be an Age-1.    

Hope it helps, Ryno