Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Pay to Much
Got a late start so decided to head up to lake pay to much to launch the tin can for the first time since new additions.
Arrived to find no one in sight and short on cash... A nice lady saw my peril and drove her golf cart up to assist in paying to much to launch my boat.  
Shortly after I was remembering the joy of launching alone and all of the details involved while having several tower boats that came out of nowhere waiting their turn behind me.  Never mind the courtesy dock I thought, I'll just beach here in the knee deep muck and get my truck out of the way. Anchors aweigh!  I did rinse my legs before getting in the truck and heading up the roughest launch ramp I have ever been on in my life to the parking lot.  Phone, sunglasses, yeti cup, sandals...yeah, sandals down by the boat.
Thankfully the sand along side the ramp was not bad to walk on and I was soon to be off.
Slipping into the boat and giving a couple pumps on the bulb, choke and pull, started instantly, just as it had in the yard yesterday evening.
Off I went at the breakneck speed of 6.52mph, I was free at last.  Turn on the sounder and, 20', some marks at 10-12' on way to the deepest parts of the lake near the dam.  32' was the max depth I saw all day.   
Trolled around for a while, used variety of Rapala, deep, dives to in 8,10', nada.  Stinky so I figured I would make a move to see what other areas I could map.
Approaching the inlet part of the lake I began to mark more fish, good numbers in 18' if water.  I tied on a jig, stuck a worm on it and decided I would try to get the skunk off.  Vertical jigging as I drifted dead slow it wasn't long before the smell went away.  A chunky bullhead.  Not as much fun as the carps I had been seeing flinging themselves into the air, but I was able to get 5 more in no time.  
Fired back up and headed back to start another drift more aware of looking for a big concentration of fish.  Was hit almost instantly, light tap, very light, missed it...another tap, ready this time and a nice 9" crappie comes to boat.  Same tactic and another 9".  It kept up like that for 2 more drifts with 3 more fish then the WW came fishing so I decided to let it have my spot.  
Man, when the wind starts up that canyon it doesn't take long for the whitecaps to get going but I putted on back to the ramp not getting wet and gracefully beached next to the truck sitting empty on the ramp as the boat that it had launched sped away.
Interesting, I thought.  I walked up, in the sand again, because it felt good on my feet to the truck and readied the trailer.  The  arduous drive down to ramp at treacherously slow speed gave tower guy time to finish his test run and drop a driver for the truck and it was my turn.  Loading alone, the price you pay for peace and quiet.
It was a good day, not a bad drive, the launch had water on it.  My motors ran well and I caught some fish.  The 9" crappie were a welcome sight and should be hitting 10, maybe 11 for ice season.  I would head right back up tomorrow but lake pay to much has an algae advisory in place so I will wait till it cools off.
Fun report to read - at least Lake "Pay A Lot" payed back with a few tugs
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-14-2021, 03:15 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Fun report to read - at least Lake "Pay A Lot" payed back with a few tugs

Yes it did.  I was not optimistic but the extortionist on the golf cart and  DWR contamination station attendant were more optimistic  when they gave their algae bloom advisory.  I did not expect the crappie and was super happy to get into them. 

I had never seen the lake so low, which I imagine can be said for about any water body in the state.  Structure everywhere, mostly exposed, expansive beaches of white sand and hardly any boats.  I think I counted 3 fishing and 5 tower boats.  The leaves are beginning to turn, if the algae would go away it could be a great lead up to ice season.

Green was the preferred color of jig in the murky water,  other colors might have worked but I caught my 1st on green and didn't try ant other colors. I should have dragged a roadrunner or beetle spin through then to see if I could have increased the action or anchored up, but I didn't. By the last drift the wind was up and whitecaps were between me and the ramp.
What am I missing.......? Where is Lake Pay to much ??
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-14-2021, 11:13 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: What am I missing.......?  Where is Lake Pay to much ??
Rough ramp, Bullhead/Crappie, golf cart extortionist are great clues.
I’m going with Pineview.
It should be "too much" of course. And it obviously refers to Pineview.
So when do the extortionists close shop for the season? I’d like to try that fall crappie action, but not at full price. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
In October, J. But the word is that they plan to chain all the gates when they close. No access for boats anywhere.
(09-15-2021, 12:15 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It should be "too much" of course. And it obviously refers to Pineview.

OK,  I was only repeating what the original post had.  I am fully aware that the correct grammar would have been "too much" .  And I haven't been to Pineview in so many years I can't remember what it cost. But thanks for the correction and info.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I was correcting the OP, not you. I think it's now $18 to launch, but it's been a while for me, also. It's outrageous, considering they have done diddly squat of maintenance.
BTW, Pineview is now reported to be down to 16% capacity. You might want to factor that in if you're thinking of launching there.
Thanks for the info Rocky, We'll have to get a report about the fall chaining action... Hope they don't, although I can probably still launch the toon without the ramp, it's just easier with it... At 16% maybe the crappie won't be too deep to release this year... There's one advantage... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!