Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Fishy Report
The preamble...

Been a while since Cookie and I have wet a line. While living in Alabama for a couple years, we hosted a Foreign Exchange student (Girl) from Italy. Had a lot of fun and stayed close to her and her family. Always teased her younger sister that I had a room ready when she was...she called this summer and said "she was" and wanted to see photos of her bed room. Some hasty tool work on my mancave converted it to a princess pad and my new daughter arrived in Aug. Got her pretty much settled in and she is hard at working breaking young cowboy hearts. Poor things look like a spring run bull calf trying to chase down a prize heifer (dont tell her I called her a heifer - I dont think the translation will go over well)

But I digress - this is a fishing report...so onward

She was busy texting boys, so I grabbed Cookie for a quick evening run to Rockport. Fished Pat's Point. Some nice transition from mud flats to a bit deeper area. Perch were moving back and forth nicely. Bite was on and strong. Threw about 15 in a bag for dinner and turned twice as many free for the next time. Bite was on pugly perch bugs. Black shell with yellow body got the most action but a white shell with black or yellow body also did well. Fished them off a drop shot rig about 3-6 inches off the bottom, dragged in real slow with a bit of jigging action thrown in. Tipped with a bit of worm and the perchies came a running. No monsters but a mess of eater in the 8-10 inch range. And a few that went past 11. They were within easy cast distance - good thing cause a pretty steady breeze in the face would have made long distance chucking a challenge. Cookie, after about 20, had the shell half rip off her pugly bug, she did not even stop to tie on a new one. See photo

Smallies also joined in the fray - but no size

Showed our little Italian princess our dinner when we got home - she wants in on the next run. Good girl

No video this time but a few photos

[Image: 20210916-180940.jpg]

[Image: 20210916-185337.jpg]

[Image: 20210916-191018.jpg]

[Image: 20210916-182102.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-17-2021, 03:10 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The preamble...

Been a while since Cookie and I have wet a line. While living in Alabama for a couple years, we hosted a Foreign Exchange student (Girl) from Italy. Had a lot of fun and stayed close to her and her family. Always teased her younger sister that I had a room ready when she was...she called this summer and said "she was" and wanted to see photos of her bed room. Some hasty tool work on my mancave converted it to a princess pad and my new daughter arrived in Aug. Got her pretty much settled in and she is hard at working breaking young cowboy hearts. Poor things look like a spring run bull calf trying to chase down a prize heifer (dont tell her I called her a heifer - I dont think the translation will go over well)

She was busy texting boys, so I grabbed Cookie for a quick evening run to Rockport. Fished Pat's Point. Some nice transition from mud flats to a bit deeper area. Perch were moving back and forth nicely. Bite was on and strong. Threw about 15 in a bag for dinner and turned twice as many free for the next time. Bite was on pugly perch bugs. Black shell with yellow body got the most action but a white shell with black or yellow body also did well. Fished them off a drop shot rig about 3-6 inches off the bottom, dragged in real slow with a bit of jigging action thrown in. Tipped with a bit of worm and the perchies came a running. No monsters but a mess of eater in the 8-10 inch range. And a few that went past 11. They were within easy cast distance - good thing cause a pretty steady breeze in the face would have made long distance chucking a challenge. Cookie, after about 20, had the shell half rip off her pugly bug, she did not even stop to tie on a new one. See photo

Showed our little Italian princess our dinner when we got home - she wants in on the next run. Good girl

Im just a lttle bit jelly of your perch haul. Nice work. Been too long since I had some perch fish tacos. My last effort at Rockport was a big skunk. Im hoping to get out in my tube next week on Rockport and give it another go. Either that or look for some walleye on Deer creek. Decisions decisions....
Gabe
Well done, guys.  Glad to see you are keeping those perchies exercised.  They need it.  Pat's Point?  Hmmmm.  That doesn't show up on my topo.
Nice going you two, Ira and I have been talking about making the drive up there to give it a try but were concerned about that boat launch. By chance were you able to see the launch from where you were, to know if it still looked open? Another question, how do you avoid getting snagged when pulling your pugly perch bugs across that rocky bottom? Good to see you two are still doing well with your fishing adventures.
Looks like you had a great trip. Congrats Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Glad to see ya make it out and catch some fish. Looks like a fun day.
(09-17-2021, 01:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Well done, guys.  Glad to see you are keeping those perchies exercised.  They need it.  Pat's Point?  Hmmmm.  That doesn't show up on my topo.

Pat' Point is right next to Forest lane on Curt's corner. Not to be Confused with Bobs Billard hall on Kent Lane. But watch out for Skunks as you come around Rocky's road.

I am punned out - next....

(09-17-2021, 01:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice going you two, Ira and I have been talking about making the drive up there to give it a try but were concerned about that boat launch. By chance were you able to see the launch from where you were, to know if it still looked open? Another question, how do you avoid getting snagged when pulling your pugly perch bugs across that rocky bottom? Good to see you two are still doing well with your fishing adventures.

Did not get close enough to the launch to give you good intel on ability to use.

As for snagging our pugly bugs - we do. I have switched to pencil style drop shot sinkers - that helps a bunch - but if its really bad we use Pat's patented Hanger shots.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I'm impressed that you were willing to sacrifice your mancave.
Kent, my wife said to tell you that I cant call the place she sends me on a timeout, my man cave. That is like calling the bathroom my office.
I called the Rockport state park and the lady I talked to said they quit plowing the ramp of mud, she thought it was 4 ft deep in mud.
(09-17-2021, 04:37 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:10 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The preamble...

Im just a lttle bit jelly of your perch haul. Nice work. Been too long since I had some perch fish tacos. My last effort at Rockport was a big skunk. Im hoping to get out in my tube next week on Rockport and give it another go. Either that or look for some walleye on Deer creek. Decisions decisions....
Gabe

They are waiting for ya Gabe. If ya go shoot me a PM. I will likey go up next week again, as I love chasing fall panfish
What were the times you were there Lance? How far is the walk down from the parking area?
(09-18-2021, 05:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What were the times you were there Lance? How far is the walk down from the parking area?

Don't recall the time exactly but would guess 6-6:30 

Its a bit of a walk down to that spot from the day use parking but you can walk straight down to the water and cut the distance in half and you should catch them there too, we did, I just did not post that report.
(09-18-2021, 07:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 05:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What were the times you were there Lance? How far is the walk down from the parking area?

Its a bit of a walk down to that spot from the day use parking but you can walk straight down to the water and cut the distance in half and you should catch them there too, we did, I just did not post that report.

Would that be am or pm? How long did you stay?
(09-18-2021, 10:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 07:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

Would that be am or pm? How long did you stay?

That was PM and only an hour or so
Wow, that is really good for only fishing an hour.
Hey Cowboy, do your pugly perch creations float?
(09-21-2021, 10:42 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey Cowboy, do your pugly perch creations float?

Yes. Same concept as a flig on a smaller scale and tied with water creatures in mind (bugs).

Think Hopper pattern as if you are drifting a fly for Brookies. Just fished flig style from the bottom up
Sounds good. Thanks