Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview drive by and related info
Trying to figure out where to go fishing next week, the wife and I took a drive up to PV. Went into the Port ramp area to get some pics of the ramp area. Found out the last day they charge to launch($18) on Sunday, Sept 26th and the next day the 27th they start installing the new gate, big bummer there. Here are some pics of the ramp area, then one from the East side of the lake and a few more from Cemetery point. For those that will be ice fishing there this Winter, it could be a long walk to the water, unless we get a very wet Fall.

[Image: 20210919-103853.jpg] [Image: 20210919-103912.jpg] [Image: 20210919-110855.jpg] [Image: 20210919-111724.jpg] [Image: 20210919-111729.jpg] [Image: 20210919-111825.jpg] [Image: 20210919-111840.jpg]
Appreciate all the info Curt. Going to be tough ice fishing for sure. Too bad they won't provide a parking area if only for good winter access. The 'walk in' parking areas are going to be so packed we wouldn't even try to get our trailer with its sleds and machines into some of those areas.
It is unfortunate that they are going to gate the area during the prime time for fishing for crappie from a boat. Likely a case of a few ruining it for all of us.
(09-19-2021, 10:36 PM)jjannie Wrote: Appreciate all the info Curt. Going to be tough ice fishing for sure. Too bad they won't provide a parking area if only for good winter access. The 'walk in' parking areas are going to be so packed we wouldn't even try to get our trailer with its sleds and machines into some of those areas.

No problem and you are so right about having limited areas to park, might have to give a night fishing trip another try, if for no other reason than there are usually less people fishing then.
(09-20-2021, 12:48 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: It is unfortunate that they are going to gate the area during the prime time for fishing for crappie from a boat.  Likely a case of a few ruining it for all of us.
Yea, I totally agree, seems very odd that other federal lakes they allow boat access but not PV. For ice fishing, there is some limited areas to park around the lake but as jjannie said, they fill up quick. They put up a new gate at cemetery point too and my guess is they will not allow people past the launch area there, that is where the new gate is. I guess we will see how this unfolds but I'm not happy about this at all.
We can be unhappy or we can fight back.
We can all write our congress people and senators to let them know we are not happy having access cut off by a private company from lands that are property of the public. Get them to pressure the FS, which is becoming a real pain lately in that area.

Not just once either. In order to get grease we need to be the squeaky wheel. So every time you think about ice fishing Pine View this winter, write another round of letters.
You are so right, but it's soo hard to sit down and do the writing.... But that is the best way to have our fishing desires known... Maybe if someone could post some links with contact info so we knew where to send our thoughts... I suspect we should contact all 4 congress reps and the two senators if we are going to do this correctly... I'm sorry I'm not very civilly active as I should be, but I'll bet some of our members know how to do this best, if so we would appreciate your help to get the rest of us plugged in to make a difference... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-20-2021, 02:33 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: We can all write our congress people and senators to let them know we are not happy having access cut off by a private company from lands that are property of the public.
Absolutely need to write your FEDERAL representatives in Washington.  Primary Representative would be Blake Moore as Pineview resides in his district.  And of course, both Senators Mike Lee & Mitt Romney.  Writing to Representatives Stewert, Curtis, & Owens wouldn't hurt either, but Pineview isn't in their district.  But here's the thing about Utah Recreation (the private company); they only MANAGE the property during their contract period which begins in May(?) and ends in September.  Once they close up shop for the season, then the area is controlled 100% by the Park Manager (a Federal USFS employee) whose office is in Ogden, UT.  Blaming a private company for the loss of access to Pineview during the off season is pointless.  The blame for loss of access rides 100% on the shoulders of said Park Manager.  But before you go postal on him, try walking in his shoes.  I've talked with him on the phone, and he has valid reasons for his actions.  The enemy is us - John Q Public.  Some of us can't play nice and respect that which is collectively ours - Federal venues.  The vandalism and destruction of property is real.  And the Park Manager has to deal with tight budgets and being understaffed in the off season.  Your letters to your Representative/Senators might be better received if you address both sides of the issue (yours & the Park Managers) and offer some solutions to make it work for both sides.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(09-20-2021, 01:16 PM)dubob Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 02:33 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: We can all write our congress people and senators to let them know we are not happy having access cut off by a private company from lands that are property of the public.
Absolutely need to write your FEDERAL representatives in Washington.  Primary Representative would be Blake Moore as Pineview resides in his district.  And of course, both Senators Mike Lee & Mitt Romney.  Writing to Representatives Stewert, Curtis, & Owens wouldn't hurt either, but Pineview isn't in their district.  But here's the thing about Utah Recreation (the private company); they only MANAGE the property during their contract period which begins in May(?) and ends in September.  Once they close up shop for the season, then the area is controlled 100% by the Park Manager (a Federal USFS employee) whose office is in Ogden, UT.  Blaming a private company for the loss of access to Pineview during the off season is pointless.  The blame for loss of access rides 100% on the shoulders of said Park Manager.  But before you go postal on him, try walking in his shoes.  I've talked with him on the phone, and he has valid reasons for his actions.  The enemy is us - John Q Public.  Some of us can't play nice and respect that which is collectively ours - Federal venues.  The vandalism and destruction of property is real.  And the Park Manager has to deal with tight budgets and being understaffed in the off season.  Your letters to your Representative/Senators might be better received if you address both sides of the issue (yours & the Park Managers) and offer some solutions to make it work for both sides
I can agree with that.  But dispensing with the vandals and pigs is the solution, not the gate it off attitude of the Park Manager.  
I recommend, to start, cameras.  Remote internet monitoring cameras are cheap and provide good security in both daylight and night.  I understand locking the bathrooms, but leave a dumpster.
The parking lot plowing is an expense for sure but we pay fees to help cover that.  They don't have to plow the whole lot.  Just a loop around the outside 4 passes wide and take off. And only when it snows. They manage to keep a lot plowed out at the Monte Cristo gate for snowmobiles and their trailers, That same truck has to drive almost right by Port Ramp from Ogden.
It's not like there are as many ice fishers as there are boaters in the contract period.
As far as the fee, in the off months the honor system is used on many FS properties to collect the fee and a camera would help enforce that as well.
Still we need to write, Morgan for sure, Lee, Romney, Stewart for me because although this is not in his district, I am in his.
Last we need to be diligent too, most of us have a camera, we don't have to confront the vandal or people we see doing these things that make it more expensive to accommodate us.  Take the picture/video and leave unnoticed.  Then send it to the Park Manager.
How would we do that Bob.  You've spoken with him.  Has a dialogue even been attempted with the park manager about this?