Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Fall Frost ice season on the way
So Cache Valley got our first frost last night and I couldn’t help but think of the hard water season. What are some of your plans, new ice gear and etc. Wanting to get primed for the season.  

Mostly I'm wanting to see if I can get a post to work on the forum... Anyone else having issues posting using a computer with Google Chrome as the internet engine? I have to start all my posts on the ipad and then I can reply with my computer, but it gets old trying to jump through so many hoops...

Anyway back to ice gear, and winter plans... Assuming there is enough water, I expect it will be a good early ice season since the fish are all condensed, we should be able to find fish this year, and hopefully we can figure out how to catch a few... I'm hoping to make the first ice Henry's trip, where we plan on camping on ice again this year... That bed bug issue at the wild rose has pushed our group into just camping on the ice and I really enjoyed it last year, so I'm looking forward to it again this fall... I haven't heard much about Cascade this year, so don't know if we will head up north for an ice camp up there, but if I can get away I'd love to do that one again... And I think we need at least one ice camp trip to flaming gorge.... Then the usual day trips to Strawberry and local lakes... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ice on Bear Lake this winter... I think I'll burn some vacation to get on it, if it happens, it sure doesn't seem to last long lately... Anyway what are your plans? Anyone else do the ice camping deal? What are your experiences with it? To me it's becoming my deer hunt camp replacement, since deer hunting isn't what it used to be...

As far as equipment goes, I'm sure you've already heard me dreaming of the Mega 360 for this season... Haven't come up with the money for the transducer yet, but I have got the shuttle to go with my Helix 9 and I've got it set up so I can take it in my boat or on ice by just connecting the transducer... It's working great so far... I also need a new 8" ice auger, my old laser is getting pretty beat up, but I'm curious which ones are best? I tried a pistol bit last spring and was really impressed with it, but I know a lot of new stuff has been coming out, what are you hearing about light weight, good performing drills? I should be looking for a different snowmobile, mine is getting old and tired and I don't want it to leave me stranded... but if I get the 360 there won't be any extra money to go into a new machine... Anyway what are you guys looking for and maybe I'll have some used stuff I could give up if you're looking for something that I'm not using much any more... I have a hoarding tendency with fishing gear and I told my wife I'd do better.... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I would love to get a snow-dog or something close to it.  We'll have to see, but that is on the top of my list. I do some crazy long hikes out on the ice and would love to make it easier.
Once the ice is thick enough they make all the difference in the world, not that you have to take a lot of stuff with you, but if you're going very far or like to take some shelter or toys (camera, finders and etc..) they really save my life... Rumor has it I take too much stuff with me, but it wouldn't be possible without the snowmobile to drag it along... I really like what increased distance and load can do for ice fishing... Good luck on finding one, or building one... Check out what Prospector Joe did last winter... I'll try to post a link to his youtube video... Guess we'll see this hit the ice at Henry's for our ice season kick off trip in November... Good luck Paul...Later J

link to Joe's post part 1... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXuhDA7KsMk

Part 2 link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT6EF8Llwao
Makes me wish I wouldn't have sold/given away my old blizzard chassis... It would have been perfect for the snow puppy conversion.... I even have a 8 hp briggs & stratton kicking around that would probably do the trick...
I think my next major purchase will be transportation of some kind, leaning toward a Ski Doo Expedition.  I do see a guy on Facebook promoting something similar to a snow dog (track sled).  Check out Utah Ice Fishing Fanatics! - the guy's name is Weston Mott, located in Idaho.  Just another option some might be interested in.

Other than that, just trying to slowly get my gear tuned up.  I've been replacing worn out items, and added a few minor convenience items this summer.  Need to add some new longer pull ropes to my sleds.  Will wait until after elk season to re-spool reels, etc.  Really need to go through my jigs and see what I have and need.  I bought a bunch last year that never even got wet...

As for locales, I want to try some new waters this year.  Last year Craig and I hit a few new ones and got skunked on several, but I do want to continue to expand my horizons. It was fun fishing Newton with some of you guys last winter.  Still find myself at the same lakes in the same spots more often than not, for better or worse.  And always looking to add new species through the ice (really anything but planter rainbows or dink perch is fine with me).

jack of all tackle, master of none
It was chilly this morning here in Blackfoot. I'm sure below freezing at Henry's. But I can't believe we will be on the ice in October again. But I'm wishing and  hopping. 
So far, I generally haven't gone more than a mile or usually less, from my truck on the ice. When you get on the early ice you usually can't go to far before it's too thin.  Then after Henry's early ice I have always moved to other lakes. Last year when me and obifishkenobi quit fishing Henry's ( I made Around 10 trips),  we were thinking we would have to start going further out. I fished by Staley Springs. I have had a tent and heater for two years but never have used them. Maybe this year. I have always wanted lots of holes and all five poles out. But Shawn schooled me in paying attention to the pole on your sonar unit. The first time fishing with Shawn, I think I got 2 with my five poles. And he got 45 just watching one pole and his sonar. That is how important your sonar can be. Like you Jeff, I also want that mega 360 but I'm going to wait a year and stick with my Helix 5 this year. With the 360, could you watch all five poles, or jigs? I know only two poles in UT.
Yah for ice. Found a little frost in Park City this morning too. Cool weather is good for the soul. Hey Jeff, I’m a bit of a “collector” too. Maybe we should hold a little on ice swap meet, just as long as I get first dibs on everyone else’s junk. I’ll pray alongside you for ice on Big Blue. Still haven’t exploited that pond through the ice.
Hey Brett, was fun to meet ya last year at Newton, that was a great day for getting a lot of BFT icefishermen together hope we can do something like that again this year... I agree with you, it is very fun to catch something besides the perch and planter bows... I have really liked the contest to get me out of my old habit of fishing the same perch and bow spots all winter... I still do plenty of that, but it's usually chasing bigger perch... I think your yuba trip catching wipers sounded like a blast... Maybe you found a new spot to ice fish this winter...

Randy, I hope your still on the Henry's cycle when we get up there this year, you'll have to come fish with us or at least meet the crew and see the toys... The group I join in with are a blast and they really seem to scour the ice fishing world so someone always has some of the newest ice fishing toys... It's the closest I get to hitting a trade show... Very fun to learn for these guys... (Ice fishing is their main hobbies so they spend plenty on stuff I only dream about...) Oh and on the 360, I don't know if you can see jigs at your five holes, but you could see fish in the area of your five holes... I think I'm a little like you found last year, more successful with fewer poles, but paying attention to those poles more closely... I have had times when the jaw jackers were the only fish I caught on Henry's though.. So I usually have a few of them out as well.. We may try some more Idaho lakes this winter, so I'll have to check in when we head your direction..

Shawn, I'm all in on the swap meet, if I can convince myself to part with anything... Man I'll bet you're excited for the ice season with the 360... I think you're the only one I know that has the ice system in Utah that I know... Hopefully I'll join you with one, I have watched way too many YouTube videos so I want one way too bad... I sure hope they end up working as well as they look like they will.. I'm such a believer in the side finder after the summer trips, that I'm pretty sure the 360 will open a whole new dimension to ice fishing for us... Hopefully I won't stick in the same dead area too long like I tend to do.., also hope I don't start getting too mobile chasing every fish that shows up around me... Will be a fun learning curve... Oh and if BL freezes I'd love to join you, sort of, you always catch all the big fish so there is that problem, but other than that it would be great to join you... Looking forward to the ice season... Thanks all... Later Jeff
I will watch for your trip up here Jeff. I will come meet your bunch. Some new small plastics for the ice:
[Image: 20210921-102001.jpg]
Hey Randy, those look interesting, will be fun to see if they work or not... With maniac out of business I may have to start looking for new plastics... I did stock up pretty well ahead of time, except my favorite colors are already starting to run short... you get a good bite going and they chew up the plastics pretty fast... especially those cutties.... Keep hoping to see someone has picked up James' business and is making more of those orange glow cut'r bugs... Just the plain white glow bugs are really good too... So my supplies of those guys are running short too fast... I may have to learn how to mold my own... Anyway look forward to seeing you a Henry's if the timing works out... Later Jeff
Sounds good Skunk. Stay in touch as the ice starts showing up
(09-21-2021, 06:06 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Randy, those look interesting, will be fun to see if they work or not...  With maniac out of business I may have to start looking for new plastics...  I did stock up pretty well ahead of time, except my favorite colors are already starting to run short... you get a good bite going and they chew up the plastics pretty fast... especially those cutties.... Keep hoping to see someone has picked up James' business and is making more of those orange glow cut'r bugs... Just the plain white glow bugs are really good too... So my supplies of those guys are running short too fast... I may have to learn how to mold my own... Anyway look forward to seeing you a Henry's if the timing works out... Later Jeff

Hey Jeff, I got James Bradshaw at Maniac to make me a batch of 100 Gizzillas in green glow back in March.  PM me if you want his contact info.  Hopefully he is still doing some batches for special orders.  You might have to order 100, but could be worth it if you have a favorite (like I do).

jack of all tackle, master of none
Shawn, I look forward to staying in touch... will be a fun season...

Brett, I'll have to get in touch with you about getting his contact info... When I go through my stuff I'll figure out what I'll need and see if he will do that for me... Thanks so much for that info... Didn't know that was a possibility... Thank you... Jeff