Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The State of Kokanee at Strawberry Reservoir
Hey everyone, here is the latest video.  A little different this time.  It's an interview with the Strawberry Project Leader Alan Ward of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.  If you're as avid a Kokanee fisherman as I am and you spend any time on Strawberry Reservoir I think you will enjoy this.  It's about Kokanee fishing and Kokanee in general at Strawberry Reservoir.  Some of the information and numbers will absolutely amaze you.  I'm still a beginner on video editing so please forgive the format but enjoy the information Alan gives us.  This one, to me, is one of the best videos.  Hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/esW6jTiLahc
Thanks for your report it was great to know the facts..
On a good year those eggs can go to other waters.
Interesting information, thanks for posting it.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Always good to obtain more knowledge from the experts.
(09-23-2021, 04:40 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: Hey everyone, here is the latest video.  A little different this time.  It's an interview with the Strawberry Project Leader Alan Ward of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.  If you're as avid a Kokanee fisherman as I am and you spend any time on Strawberry Reservoir I think you will enjoy this.  It's about Kokanee fishing and Kokanee in general at Strawberry Reservoir.  Some of the information and numbers will absolutely amaze you.  I'm still a beginner on video editing so please forgive the format but enjoy the information Alan gives us.  This one, to me, is one of the best videos.  Hope you enjoy it!

Great questions that you ask Alan. I'm sure you questions indirectly answered this but I did not hear you directly ask the question as to whether keeping red salmon effect the overall health of the fishery but it sounded like there was little, if any, impact on the overall spawning, is that correct?
(09-23-2021, 05:18 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Thanks for your report it was great to know the facts..
On a good year those eggs can go to other waters.

From speaking with Alan that was not only on good years but every year.  Imagine that not only the 400,000 going into Strawberry but 600,000 going into Flaming Gorge, 60,000 going into Jordanelle, and East Canyon, and every lake that gets stocked Kokanee in the state of Utah.  It's a huge responsibility and undertaking that the Strawberry fish trap has.  The stocking reports are available on the DWR website if you are interested.  Flaming Gorge does get some of their own eggs from the Sheep Creek trap but still gets the majority from Strawberry.  Pretty amazing!!!!!

(09-24-2021, 01:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 04:40 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: Hey everyone, here is the latest video.  A little different this time.  It's an interview with the Strawberry Project Leader Alan Ward of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.  If you're as avid a Kokanee fisherman as I am and you spend any time on Strawberry Reservoir I think you will enjoy this.  It's about Kokanee fishing and Kokanee in general at Strawberry Reservoir.  Some of the information and numbers will absolutely amaze you.  I'm still a beginner on video editing so please forgive the format but enjoy the information Alan gives us.  This one, to me, is one of the best videos.  Hope you enjoy it!

Great questions that you ask Alan. I'm sure you questions indirectly answered this but I did not hear you directly ask the question as to whether keeping red salmon effect the overall health of the fishery but it sounded like there was little, if any, impact on the overall spawning, is that correct?

When I did speak to him at Strawberry and explained why I was asking him the questions in the first place he just kind of chuckled, so I kinda got my answer there.  Plus I can't imagine that if it did have any direct impact on the fishery that the DWR would change the dates of the season so these fish simply could not be caught, period.  Again when we spoke, he said only 50,000 - 40,000 kokanee were getting taken by anglers annually.  I've been trying to do the math with stocking 400,000 and 50% natural reproduction each year then subtracting angler harvest and spawning equaling 150,000 - 100,000 being left in the lake each year but it's just not adding up to me.  That's a huge loss from predation, natural selection, and whatever else to only see that amount left but maybe that's another question for another time.

Great report! Thank you!!