Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slaying Blood Red Kokes at the Berry!
Photo 
Hey guys! A few of you may remember me (been gone for a hot second) had an insanely busy summer and kinda fell off the platform. But im back! Anyways, figured id share my most recent trip will you all. This week is my birthday (today to be exact!) and me and my dad always go on a special expedition chasing some new species. This year, we were in the search of some spawning kokes! I have caught "silver bullets" before and have caught a handfull of red kokes here and there. But I had never caught more than one on a trip. I just wanted to catch the crap out of em! So, on Monday, I flew home from school, threw my rods in the truck, and me and my awesome dad headed to strawberry. We didnt know 100% if there would be kokes at our first spot so when we pulled up and saw a large buck koke jump and the scramble to get out of the car started. LOL! 

It was by far my favorite birthweek trip ever! I got my wish and me and my dad caught 20 or so in 2 hours. It was awesome! I also would like to point out how freaking cool the fish are! I have always known that spawning kokes were awesome. But something about catching them, and releasing them makes them just a little cooler! They are insanely aggressive and peel drag like crazy!! All of mine were caught off a jerkbait. Definately nice to scratch them off the ol bucket list!

[Image: PXL-20210928-000504836.jpg]

[Image: PXL-20210928-000501170.jpg]

[Image: PXL-20210928-000458568.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20210927-195532.jpg]
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Its good to have you back. Missed the Smile when you catch the big oned
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I guess I'm behind on fishing regulations, but I didn't think you could fish for Kokanee from September through November... Did they change the regulations? Still not the best idea to harass the kokes while they are spawning from a sporting perspective, but if it's legal don't listen to me... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff,
Can catch them, just can’t keep them.
(10-01-2021, 06:44 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I guess I'm behind on fishing regulations, but I didn't think you could fish for Kokanee from September through November... Did they change the regulations?  Still not the best idea to harass the kokes while they are spawning from a sporting perspective, but if it's legal don't listen to me... Later J

As Shane said there is nothing in the regs that say you can't catch them because it's going to happen ever once in a while while fishing for the cutts and bows but most people don't target them because they are spawning or getting ready to spawn. Kokes have a high mortality rate when caught and most of us just don't want to catch any during the spawn because they know they will likely die before they get a chance to spawn but that being said we have all caught them when they are red during the open season. Since he wasn't here during the time the season was open, I doubt a few more dead kokes will make much difference in the overall success of them spawning.
(10-01-2021, 06:44 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I guess I'm behind on fishing regulations, but I didn't think you could fish for Kokanee from September through November... Did they change the regulations? Still not the best idea to harass the kokes while they are spawning from a sporting perspective, but if it's legal don't listen to me... Later J

Yeah, not to beat a dead horse, but I definitely fall on this side of the argument. No different than fishing the redds.

To each their own I guess, just not how we do it in my family.
Thanks for the update Shane and Curt and all... I had looked through the current regs and seen the cannot keep from Sept to Nov, and I know they were reworking the Koke regs because of all the confusion between dates on the different waters, but I guess I didn't ever hear what the decision was... I usually quit my koke fishing in July or early august because they get soft and mushy, when I used to get out and go for them anyway... But they are sure a great fish to catch... Hope we can figure them out better on the ice this year... Which brings up a question, it seems like to me that the proclamation guide book or whatever it is called sure doesn't have a very in depth listing or rules anymore, seems like if there are laws on the books that we as sportsmen are supposed to follow, that they should be summarized in that guide or else how are we supposed to know them? I know they don't want to make the booklet an encyclopedia, but seems like it could be organized a little better and be more clear on what the rules are... I guess all the specific rules for certain bodies of water is what can confuse things.... I learned something the other day that I didn't know, I thought you could use perch as bait in all waters that they are located, but that isn't true, there are only a list of several reservoirs where perch is legal as bait... I'm going to have to watch that list when I ice fish for perch, seems it's one of my favorite baits for perch through the ice... But they are legal at Newton and Hyrum so I'm good, but I fish Mantua for perch and I don't remember if it's legal there, so I'll have to check before I use it... Be nice if they had an on line Q&A you could type a question and get an instant answer to find out if things are legal or not... There's a project for you students trying to get a degree in fish and wildlife management.... Would be a great service to us all... Later Jeff
put me in the when i git with my bird to conduct beesness
i dont want interference in that business
so i treat the fish the same
camp
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(10-04-2021, 12:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the update Shane and Curt and all... I had looked through the current regs and seen the cannot keep from Sept to Nov, and I know they were reworking the Koke regs because of all the confusion between dates on the different waters, but I guess I didn't ever hear what the decision was...  I usually quit my koke fishing in July or early august because they get soft and mushy, when I used to get out and go for them anyway... But they are sure a great fish to catch... Hope we can figure them out better on the ice this year... Which brings up a question, it seems like to me that the proclamation guide book or whatever it is called sure doesn't have a very in depth listing or rules anymore, seems like if there are laws on the books that we as sportsmen are supposed to follow, that they should be summarized in that guide or else how are we supposed to know them?  I know they don't want to make the booklet an encyclopedia, but seems like it could be organized a little better and be more clear on what the rules are... I guess all the specific rules for certain bodies of water is what can confuse things.... I learned something the other day that I didn't know, I thought you could use perch as bait in all waters that they are located, but that isn't true, there are only a list of several reservoirs where perch is legal as bait... I'm going to have to watch that list when I ice fish for perch, seems it's one of my favorite baits for perch through the ice... But they are legal at Newton and Hyrum so I'm good, but I fish Mantua for perch and I don't remember if it's legal there, so I'll have to check before I use it... Be nice if they had an on line Q&A you could type a question and get an instant answer to find out if things are legal or not...  There's a project for you students trying to get a degree in fish and wildlife management.... Would be a great service to us all... Later Jeff
Jeff, here's the regs on using dead perch for bait.
•Dead yellow perch may be used as
bait only in Big Sandwash, Deer
Creek, Echo, Fish Lake, Gunnison,
Hyrum, Johnson, Jordanelle,
Mantua, Mill Meadow, Newton,
Pineview, Red Fleet, Rockport,
Starvation, Utah Lake, Willard Bay
and Yuba reservoirs.
Anglers may not possess
kokanee salmon at any
waterbody statewide from
Sept. 10 through Nov. 30.

seems like I read some place you should not target them.  

what  is Definition of  may not possess

I do not possess a mobile phone"
"I do not possess a television set"
"I do not possess that kind of courage"
(10-04-2021, 03:36 PM)liketrolling Wrote: Anglers may not possess
kokanee salmon at any
waterbody statewide from
Sept. 10 through Nov. 30.

seems like I read some place you should not target them.  

what  is Definition of  may not possess

The definition, given in the Guidebook, is "Possession means actual or constructive possession."  To me, that means it is legal to intentionally catch kokanee, now, as long as they are immediately released.  I have sent an email to Alan Ward to see if he can help clarify.
A couple of years ago a nice young lady who works at Sportsman's (and is a tournament bass fisher) assured me you could use perch for bait anywhere you can catch them. I explained that was true only at the waters specified in the proclamation. She didn't believe me until I showed her. She still said that "everyone" uses perch eyes for bait anywhere. Aren't the eyes considered a part that can't be used per the regulations? I've seen a lot of people use them, including me, at the specified lakes. Maybe it should be that you can use the inedible parts only. I prefer belly strips for bait and I don't know anyone who eats that part.

Second thing. I just learned that the June Sucker has been downgraded from Endangered to Threatened. I have kind of a vague idea that I would like to catch every species in UL. Would it be legal to target them? Or would it be ethical or letter-of-the-law or ...
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Paul, I was wondering about Willard Bay and Mantua as well, so looks like they are okay as well... But places like Cutler and Bear Lake, that has perch in them, you can't use the perch as bait... Good to know, but like Craig mentioned I think the old thought was you could use them in any body of water that they can be caught from... So it's good to review the rules every so often and make sure what you think is legal really is... Things can change and be easy to miss... Thanks for the updates... Jeff
(10-04-2021, 04:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I have sent an email to Alan Ward to see if he can help clarify.

Here is Alan's reply:

"Kent,

It sounds like people are possibly arguing the "letter" of the law vs. the "spirit" of the law on this one.  Since I am not the official responsible for the "letter" on this one, I will defer to others who may add their interpretation.  As far as the "spirit" of the rule, my understanding was that it was put in place to protect spawning kokanee.  Sorry, but I will probably not go any deeper on this one.  Have fun.

Alan"

Alan is the Strawberry Project Leader with Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
(10-05-2021, 06:11 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 04:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I have sent an email to Alan Ward to see if he can help clarify.

Here is Alan's reply:

"Kent,

It sounds like people are possibly arguing the "letter" of the law vs. the "spirit" of the law on this one.  Since I am not the official responsible for the "letter" on this one, I will defer to others who may add their interpretation.  As far as the "spirit" of the rule, my understanding was that it was put in place to protect spawning kokanee.  Sorry, but I will probably not go any deeper on this one.  Have fun.

Alan"

Alan is the Strawberry Project Leader with Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

Smile

Any chance he is a politician?

Sounds like we need to chalk this up everyone being comfortable with what they do, and understand others may see it another way.

No reason to waste any additional precious key strokes.