Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fun time catching sturgeon
Wed. and Thursday 29th and 30th.
took my wife and one of my many fishing buddy's and his wife.  did not see one boat 
Wednesday was unreal un till the wind   made us stop fishing at 12:30 only moved one time and that was 100 yards
so we went trolling for crappie using flicker shads and a pro troll I use for kokanee that caught the most crappie keep 3 for bait.
about 10 boats jigging for them, did not see any one catch any. and we got 3 big perch trolling. they would have feed all 4 of us but we put them back. 
Thursday we fished till 1 am then made the 4 and 1/2 drive home.
it was one fun time.  we got a sturgeon on a hole crappie head, had it on a float.
you need to watch this you will see things you have never seen before.

Learn How to Catch Sturgeon on the Snake River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyAxbqdS...el=RobertG
It's very interesting to see the bottom . There must not be any current in this area. Do you think the sturgeon find the bait by smell?
How big are those perch?
Maybe perch could be a good choice for bait, it's likely they eat some perch. Thanks Bob very interesting.
Great video Robert, your best one yet on sturgeon fishing.
(10-02-2021, 12:45 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: It's very interesting to see the bottom . There must not be any current in this area.  Do you think the sturgeon find the bait by smell?
How big are those perch?
Maybe perch could be a good choice for bait, it's likely they eat some perch. Thanks Bob very interesting.

I have tried perch as bait before but it did not work it should because when they die you would think the sturgeon would eat them 
I have never seen a crappie where I fish for sturgeon but some times crappie is the only thing that works.
where I fish for crappie is 20 min. away going 40 mph.
the perch are over 12" I have never put a tape to the ones I got.
Have you ever fished Walcott?
(10-02-2021, 07:19 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Have you ever fished Walcott?

I never have are there sturgeon there  If you know where they are at you will have to take me if we can get a boat where they are at.
Great video Robert. As you know, I fished that same area a week earlier. We did so poorly I couldn't get enough energy to head back last week. It looks like I should have gone. Seeing that bottom, I now know why all of my videos were blank (the cameras were buried in the soft bottom). I will try using a float on the camera next trip. That hook you showed was barbed and folks should be aware that barbless hooks are required, under Idaho law, when fishing for sturgeon. I could see that the hooks that you were actually fishing with were barbless.

I have a hunch that you quit fishing at 1 PM (not AM).