Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
I usually wouldn't post if I don't do any good. But I'm searching for info. I hit Henry's today. Beautiful day. But again I never did any good. I did get a little cutthroat right off the bat just out of the state marina. But I hit the cliffs and although there were tons of fish on the sonar, I never had another bite. I tried everything I could think of. Even corn and worms. Every color of Rapala, big mepps spinners, several spoons and castmasters, rattle traps and jakes. Bright orange to black. The first one hit a small fire tiger color. So I tried everything I had in it. Nothing. I can't seem to catch them on open water at Henry's. The sea weed is hard to fish, but they have to bite something beside flys. The tubing fly fishing brigade was out in full force. But out of all them I only saw one of them get a small one. You'd think they would be hungry, getting ready for winter. Do I need to get my fly pole out? I haven't touched it for 15 years.
What works on open water at Henry's? I need help.
Jig under a bobber, bubble and a fly slowly retrieved may work.
(10-05-2021, 02:07 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Jig under a bobber, bubble and a fly slowly retrieved may work.

Jig and cast a bobber might work. It could keep the jig above most of the sea weed. Back in Utah, I used to catch lots of fish with fly and bobber. I know cutthroat like a Renegade or double Renegade. I had already thought of that, I don't know why I didn't take some with me this trip. 
Henry's is so shallow, 13 feet was the deepest I seen. And that sea weed grows nearly to the top in a lot of the lake. I thought corn and worms would work. I tried on the bottom and with a bobber but never got a bite. I have a bunch of minnows ready for ice fishing, but I forgot to take some of them.
(10-05-2021, 01:32 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I usually wouldn't post if I don't do any good. But I'm searching for info. I hit Henry's today. Beautiful day. But again I never did any good. I did get a little cutthroat right off the bat just out of the state marina. But I hit the cliffs and although there were tons of fish on the sonar, I never had another bite. I tried everything I could think of. Even corn and worms. Every color of Rapala, big mepps spinners, several spoons and castmasters, rattle traps and jakes. Bright orange to black. The first one hit a small fire tiger color. So I tried everything I had in it. Nothing. I can't seem to catch them on open water at Henry's. The sea weed is hard to fish, but they have to bite something beside flys. The tubing fly fishing brigade was out in full force. But out of all them I only saw one of them get a small one. You'd think they would be hungry, getting ready for winter. Do I need to get my fly pole out? I haven't touched it for 15 years.

Bummer, you didn't get into them, I'm looking forward to giving it a go with you this weekend. We could try ice fishing tactics, anchoring the boat up and vertically jigging our favorite ice fishing jigs. Did you make it up to Staley Springs or stay on the south end? The weather is calling for possible light shower in the morning and overcast later on.
(10-05-2021, 01:32 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I usually wouldn't post if I don't do any good. But I'm searching for info. I hit Henry's today. Beautiful day. But again I never did any good. I did get a little cutthroat right off the bat just out of the state marina. But I hit the cliffs and although there were tons of fish on the sonar, I never had another bite. I tried everything I could think of. Even corn and worms. Every color of Rapala, big mepps spinners, several spoons and castmasters, rattle traps and jakes. Bright orange to black. The first one hit a small fire tiger color. So I tried everything I had in it. Nothing. I can't seem to catch them on open water at Henry's. The sea weed is hard to fish, but they have to bite something beside flys. The tubing fly fishing brigade was out in full force. But out of all them I only saw one of them get a small one. You'd think they would be hungry, getting ready for winter. Do I need to get my fly pole out? I haven't touched it for 15 years.
What most people don't realize his Henry's is having a major down cycle this year. There was actually a large fish kill over the winter and the overall size of fish is also way below normal. A few years ago the fishing game put out a story saying the fish were not surviving in Henry's Lake which is true and then they backpedaled and downplayed that, what a surprise. If you're looking for successful Stillwater fishing I would go elsewhere as I have never seen or heard of more bad reports coming from the lake then I have this whole year. The fish that are being caught are also much thinner than they used to be I believe this is due to the large Utah chub population that has infested the lake.