Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Fork Canyon to Indian Creek
This road is now all paved accept .3 miles worth.

We took it on Tues. and I figure it saved us 30 min drive time.
We then launched at Renegade rather than the main marina.

On the water by 8am and started catching fish as soon as the jigs got wet.
As the day progressed the hits became fewer and fewer as the storm came in.  I expected the opposite with the pressure drop.  When the front go there they all but quit.
We still had a great day lots of fish from 8am till 2pm.
 2 rainbow and one koke all the rest were cuts.
Do you go up Sheep Creek? I'm a little fuzzy on where the road goes.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(10-07-2021, 05:12 PM)catchinon Wrote: Do you go up Sheep Creek? I'm a little fuzzy on where the road goes

Yes it is Sheep Creek, although some call it Dairy Fork as Dairy fork is across the road to the south.
There is a sign on the highway with an arrow that says Strawberry.
The road will divide when you get up there aways.  Go East at this point.  This is the newly oiled road. It will take you right to Indian Creek.
We were up there Tuesday as well. We thought the same thing with the storm coming in that the fishing would be very good. You did better than we did. It was a bust for us. Very slow. We tried everything. I caught one using a slip bobber down to 3 ft but the rest we caught on tube jigs tipped with a worm. We fished both north and south shorelines in the Indian Creek arm plus fished in the middle too.

The wind was coming from the west when we started at 7:30 and stayed the same most of the morning. It did calm down a little but not for long and then when we left at noon it was coming from the east at a pretty good blow. The old timers that had cabins at the different camps all had the saying: 'wind from the east the fish bite the least'. This had held pretty ture for all the years that I've fished Strawberry. When I check the National Weather Service forcast for wind conditons at Strawberry and it says east winds I stay home but it didn't have it listed this time.
(10-09-2021, 05:21 PM)lovetofish Wrote: The wind was coming from the west when we started at 7:30 and stayed the same most of the morning. It did calm down a little but not for long and then when we left at noon it was coming from the east at a pretty good blow. The old timers that had cabins at the different camps all had the saying: 'wind from the east the fish bite the least'. This had held pretty ture for all the years that I've fished Strawberry. When I check the National Weather Service forcast for wind conditons at Strawberry and it says east winds I stay home but it didn't have it listed this time.

On Thursday, I told Kory about that saying, because the wind had switched to blow from the east.  The fish didn't seem to mind having an east wind.
Thats's the way it was for us too. It switched about 11:30AM prior to that the wind was coming from the west. Generally a east wind is the first thing in the morning. I know all the old timers (my father included) would tie their boats up facing east because of the wind (they all had their own docks).  This was at Clarks Camp on the west side by Mud Creek. Anyway the fishing sucked for us on Tuesday. I'd like to hook up with you sometime at Strawberry. Wrote:
lovetofish Wrote:The wind was coming from the west when we started at 7:30 and stayed the same most of the morning. It did calm down a little but not for long and then when we left at noon it was coming from the east at a pretty good blow. The old timers that had cabins at the different camps all had the saying: 'wind from the east the fish bite the least'. This had held pretty ture for all the years that I've fished Strawberry. When I check the National Weather Service forcast for wind conditons at Strawberry and it says east winds I stay home but it didn't have it listed this time.

On Thursday, I told Kory about that saying, because the wind had switched to blow from the east.  The fish didn't seem to mind having an east wind.
(10-09-2021, 08:35 PM)lovetofish Wrote:
Thats's the way it was for us too. It switched about 11:30AM prior to that the wind was coming from the west. Generally a east wind is the first thing in the morning. I know all the old timers (my father included) would tie their boats up facing east because of the wind (they all had their own docks).  This was at Clarks Camp on the west side by Mud Creek. Anyway the fishing sucked for us on Tuesday. I'd like to hook up with you sometime at Strawberry. Wrote:
lovetofish Wrote:The wind was coming from the west when we started at 7:30 and stayed the same most of the morning. It did calm down a little but not for long and then when we left at noon it was coming from the east at a pretty good blow. The old timers that had cabins at the different camps all had the saying: 'wind from the east the fish bite the least'. This had held pretty ture for all the years that I've fished Strawberry. When I check the National Weather Service forcast for wind conditons at Strawberry and it says east winds I stay home but it didn't have it listed this time.

PM to me your contact information and I will try to make it happen.