Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second happiest day....
Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but this little guy followed me home the other night Smile

[Image: panchodogsboat.jpg]
Congratudolences!

Now, the first thing you need is a transom saver.
Looks nice. As a fellow boat owner I extend my deepest sympathies.
Be sure to read up on damage transom savers cause.
Much better alternatives.
Please correct me if something has changed but I bet your owners manual does not recommend them?
(10-20-2021, 06:36 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Congratudolences!

Now, the first thing you need is a transom saver.

Funny you bring that up. I asked the Lund dealer about a transom saver. He offered to sell me one but told me they don't recommend them until you get to 115 HP or larger.  I thought that was kind of strange.
I'm only a one-year boat owner, but mine came with one and I use it. It's a Tracker Classic 17-ft with a 50 Merc. I can't visualize how it could cause damage but I can sure see how it prevents any.

Just did an online search and saw that aluminum boats can be more easily damaged by "motor bounce" while towing than fiberglass boats. Transom savers recommended for aluminum boats, especially if the motor has to be trimmed up for road clearance. 

Some speculated that a bar between the trailer and motor lower unit could transfer enough force to damage the motor, but it was only speculation.

I'd go with whatever the owner's manual says, or the dealer.
(10-20-2021, 06:26 PM)Panchodog Wrote: Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but this little guy followed me home the other night Smile

Nice boat for sure.
Just an FYI, The method you used for adding pics to your post is not allowed, so I edited your post to add the pics the correct way. Here is the step by step prefered method for adding pics.

1. First you need to have your cursor below your typed post.
2. Right below where you type your post you will see, "Add image to post", click on that box.
3. A new box will open and you will see, "browse from your computer", click that and it should open up the pics in your device.
4. Click on the pic you want to add, then on the bottom you will see open, click that button.
5. A new box will open and the pic you selected will be in it, then just click on the "upload" button and your pic should appear in your post.
If you do decide to run a transom saver pay particular attention to the connection at bottom of saver to trailer. I don’t need to describe the forces that will be transferred to your outboard if that breaks/slips out while boat/trailer is traveling 75 mph down the highway.
Also, pay attention to the rubber pads that separate your aluminum LU from the steel bolts itching to drive themselves in to the aluminum.
Transom Savers have helped sell a lot of replacement LU’s and to help keep aluminum welders making their own boat payments.
Well turns out Lund has no recommendation for or against a transom saver.
But Mercury says if you can't tow with your motor in the vertical position, use a support device. So I guess a transom saver is in my future Smile
I did take advantage of some gorgeous weather to get a little engine break in done and knock the newness off with a few cutthroats.
Now if I can just get that i-pilot figured out...... Dodgy

[Image: IMG-4654.jpg]

[Image: 20211022-130746.jpg]

[Image: 20211022-130910.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4657.jpg]
(10-22-2021, 07:22 PM)Panchodog Wrote: Well turns out Lund has no recommendation for or against a transom saver.
But Mercury says if you can't tow with your motor in the vertical position, use a support device. So I guess a transom saver is in my future Smile
I did take advantage of some gorgeous weather to get a little engine break in done and knock the newness off with a few cutthroats.
Now if I can just get that i-pilot figured out...... Dodgy

We have had this conversation with Mr Shane before, it is no different than talking about if Dodge or Chevy are better, everyone has an opinion.
I and many others on this site have used transom savers for many many year with zero issues. IMO it has a lot to do with how much downward pressure you put on the transom saver and how long you leave it on. If you preload it too much, that is not good and I always take the pressure off when I get home. Because I often time fish very early and late in the year, I put the motor down when I get home, so water does not freeze in the prop and foot area, so it's no big deal to just do it all year long, just my opinion.
Glad you were able to get your new boat out and begin to get it broke in, even caught a few fish in the process, you can't beat that on a nice Fall day. What part of your I-Pilot are you having a hard time figuring out?
Same here. I use one only in transit and then lower the motor fully when in storage.

BTW, here's something you might also invest in. With your motor up, you risk people running into it - or even people brushing against it and hurting themselves. Even Bill Dance uses one! Prop Alert Safety Cover.

https://www.thepropalert.com/
On your last trip of the year pull your boat up to the parking lot and lower your engine as much as possible to drain as much water as possible.
Then pull your engine lanyard key so motor will not start.
Then crank engine just a few revolutions.
It will remove the last little bit of water trapped between the vanes of your water pump impeller.
Do this at the ramp when the insides of your motor is still being drained of water.
Don’t do it at home after it has had a chance to dry.
(10-22-2021, 10:55 PM)MrShane Wrote: On your last trip of the year pull your boat up to the parking lot and lower your engine as much as possible to drain as much water as possible.
Then pull your engine lanyard key so motor will not start.
Then crank engine just a few revolutions.
It will remove the last little bit of water trapped between the vanes of your water pump impeller.
Do this at the ramp when the insides of your motor is still being drained of water.
Don’t do it at home after it has had a chance to dry.

I lower mine at the ramp before raising it to put the transom saver on, then take it home and lower it a second time but have never tried the crank method because it is not good on your impellors. I've been doing it that way since I first got my first bigger boat with no issue. I have heard of people doing it your way too, so I guess both ways work.
Hi Curt,
Definitely not good on impeller vanes if you do it dry, that is why you do it right after you pull boat on your last trip of the year.
You don’t want the water trapped in the vanes freezing and expanding against each other during the winter.
Better yet, keep it in a heated shop and don’t put boat away for winter (Powell, Mead, Sand Hollow, etc).
Have a good night, Shane