Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry in the fog
A few of us fished Strawberry yesterday along with a whole bunch of other folks.

We launched our tubes at Renegade about 9:30 and fished until 3:00 using our usual fly gear.  The lake was socked in and with no wind it hung around until afternoon.  There is a lot of algae in the water at Renegade that surprised us since we didn't see much at Bryant's Fork or Chicken Creek.

We picked up about 70% cutthroats and 30% rainbows with most of the cutthroats being in the slot.  We used lines all the way from intermediate to fast sinking.  The best patterns were size 6 & 8 bead head leeches in brown & olive, buggers in black/orange, black/green, & black/red.

The water temperature was 48-50 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 4' because of the algae.  the reservoir level is 73% and stable.  The level is about 8' lower than this time last year.

It was such a nice day with the temperatures topping out near 60 degrees and very little breeze.  The trip is so much better now that the Sheep Creek road is all paved.

[Image: P1070531-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070534-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070536-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070538-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070540-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070542-2.jpg]

[Image: P1070545-2.jpg]

nice seems like you had a great time

I'm glad we went the day before, because there was no fog. It was a little breezy, but not bad.
I was up there in the fog in the same general area. ( but in a boat) it was a great day of fishing and catching.
We were doing the white tube jigs tipped with chub and the 6 of us in the boat landed 100.

The fog was something else, never been up there with it that thick before. But once it liffed it was a beautifull day.
(10-31-2021, 06:22 AM)DeadI Wrote: I was up there in the fog in the same general area.  ( but in a boat) it was a great day of fishing and catching. 
We were doing the white tube jigs tipped with chub and the 6 of us in the boat landed 100. 

The fog was something else, never been up there with it that thick before.  But once it liffed it was a beautifull day.

Thanks for the fishing and catching report.

I've been up there in the fog before but I've never had it hang around so long.  It's one of those days when I appreciate having my GPS along. Smile  
Nice report. If you were trying to avoid the crowds, you should have come up on Wednesday. 3 boats total on the entire lake, only saw one brave toon as we were leaving at 2p.  When we arrived at 8 it was a balmy 21*, light snow on the ground, no fog but some stiff wind and a few good white caps developed soon afterward. My fingers never did warm up. The fishing was great for us using a few different color tube jigs (white of course) using both chub meat and nightcrawlers. They liked them both and many times the cutts had a friend trailing them in. We even had 4 poles all hooked up at once! These are the days I wait all year for, probably getting up there again soon.  We also found a few rainbows but nothing of decent size.  Maybe hold over for next year Big Grin
I went up Friday. Since no one wanted to go with me I left the boat and pontoon at home and wandered the bank from CCE to Trout Creek. The fog was thick in the morning but did clear up eventually. Fishing was very good for cutts that were 18-21 inches long. Did manage a decent number of rainbows but all were small and released to grow bigger. There were quite a few pontoons out early in the fog but most left fairly early. Had to have a good coat in the morning but by afternoon it was very nice.
Haven't been down since 10-21 but fog was very thick that day. By 12:30 it was beautiful.
I need to get back down there!!
Looks like it was a memorable trip.
(11-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Panchodog Wrote: Haven't been down since 10-21 but fog was very thick that day. By 12:30 it was beautiful.
I need to get back down there!!

if ya bring the new boat with the motor
ill buy gas
the hippie hays a given
hit chix creek east fri from dawn till 2
3 0r 4 an hour
did best along the turnover line where the wind had pushed the algae along the edges of the bay
tried to row over to west but the winds made it a chore and i staid in east
bout a dozen crafts mosly yaks n toons
a good amount of bent sticks and nets deployed
did best strippin fairly fast big junk up from the depths
trolled a bit but a lot of 1 shot hits w/out hookups
[Image: SavedImage_1105211227h.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]

[Image: IMG_0605_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: DSCN7633_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_0596_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_1105211055b.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_0604_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: DSCN7634_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]