Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard No. Marina Conditions Update
I already posted this as an afterthought on my Willard float tubing report.  But thought maybe some boaters might miss it...so I will duplicate it as a separate post here.

As most Willardites know, the end of the concrete ramps on the east and west sides have been unusable in low water due to a steep dropoff.  I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see that they had filled that in and have extended the ramp with some coarse rock.  Not as good as concrete but the next time the water gets low it will prolong the usability of the ramp. 

[Image: WEST-RAMP.jpg]   [Image: RAMP-WEST.jpg] [Image: WEST-RAMP-2.jpg]
On the other side...the east ramp...there is some rock in place but they either quit early or still have some more rock to add. 
[Image: EAST-RAMP.jpg]
The depth seems to have either stabilized...or even risen recently with the rains.  There is a good 5' at the launch end of the ramp and at least 5-6' all the way out the channel.  Just don't try to go past the line of buoys on the east side.  There is a berm that comes up close to the surface and it will get your prop for sure.

One last item.  The fish cleaning station is closed and wrapped for the winter.  Seems to close earlier and open later every year...along with being unusable on more and more trips.  
I too believe the water level has come up some since our last trip there two weeks ago. I don't understand why they put that course rock in place on the West side of the ramp but not on the East side, that had me scratching my head. It was good to see they did repair that small area of the center ramp.
(10-30-2021, 10:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I too believe the water level has come up some since our last trip there two weeks ago. I don't understand why they put that course rock in place on the West side of the ramp but not on the East side, that had me scratching my head. It was good to see they did repair that small area of the center ramp.
Hopefully, they aren't finished yet and the final results will be better.  That coarse rock may be okay to drive on, but when I tried to launch from my float tube it about killed my feet.  I was only wearing neoprene divers' booties.  Ouch.  But I realize they didn't consult me...or have non-boaters in mind...before dumping that rock.
(10-30-2021, 08:27 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I already posted this as an afterthought on my Willard float tubing report.  But thought maybe some boaters might miss it...so I will duplicate it as a separate post here.

As most Willardites know, the end of the concrete ramps on the east and west sides have been unusable in low water due to a steep dropoff.  I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see that they had filled that in and have extended the ramp with some coarse rock.  Not as good as concrete but the next time the water gets low it will prolong the usability of the ramp. 

[Image: WEST-RAMP.jpg]   [Image: RAMP-WEST.jpg] [Image: WEST-RAMP-2.jpg]
On the other side...the east ramp...there is some rock in place but they either quit early or still have some more rock to add. 
[Image: EAST-RAMP.jpg]
The depth seems to have either stabilized...or even risen recently with the rains.  There is a good 5' at the launch end of the ramp and at least 5-6' all the way out the channel.  Just don't try to go past the line of buoys on the east side.  There is a berm that comes up close to the surface and it will get your prop for sure.

One last item.  The fish cleaning station is closed and wrapped for the winter.  Seems to close earlier and open later every year...along with being unusable on more and more trips.  
Thanks for the report.  I'm glad they are making improvements to the launch ramps at Echo and Willard.  

Thinking about all the other waters with launch ramps, don't understand why there doesn't seem to be any urgency to take advantage of a bad situation with water levels in Utah.  To me, you try to make lemonade out of lemons.

The water levels are already leveling off and starting to rise.  I don't see any reports that the Powell launch ramps are getting major work to extend and widen all launch ramps.  I would also like to see improvement to the Port launch ramp at Pineview.  Looks like there is some work going on, but planning for taking advantage of the situation doesn't seem very forward thinking to me.
(10-31-2021, 06:34 PM)Crimson Wrote: Thanks for the report.  I'm glad they are making improvements to the launch ramps at Echo and Willard.  

Thinking about all the other waters with launch ramps, don't understand why there doesn't seem to be any urgency to take advantage of a bad situation with water levels in Utah.  To me, you try to make lemonade out of lemons.

The water levels are already leveling off and starting to rise.  I don't see any reports that the Powell launch ramps are getting major work to extend and widen all launch ramps.  I would also like to see improvement to the Port launch ramp at Pineview.  Looks like there is some work going on, but planning for taking advantage of the situation doesn't seem very forward thinking to me.

There is a lot of difference between proactive and reactive.  Unfortunately...and not making excuses for the "powers that be"...but all that stuff requires planning and budgeting and scheduling.  And the wheels turn slowly.

I guess we gotta be properly grateful for what improvements we DO get, and can only hope for the rest.  After all, we know there will never be any other extreme low water years in the future.  Right?
You are spot on Pat, we all wish the DWR and Forest service would take advantage of these low water condition but because of the cost it never happens, at least not on a big scale. It takes years of planning to get these ramp improvements on the agenda. In the case of Pineview, I doubt that will ever happen because it is federal and in all reality, I bet they see no problem with the current ramp. Sure it is rough but it extends all the way into the water, even in this low water year. Willard, they did very little in the way of improvements, just repaired a small little section and brought in some course rock. Echo is another thing all together, they have been planning on doing that ramp since the Parks dept took it over, it just so happened it was in a low water year. Lost creek was a big disappointment to me, they had plans in place to widen the ramp but from what the Park manager told me in an email, those plans will not start until next year, hopefully it will be in the Spring before the lake fills but I would not count on it. Causey is another issue, they have the funds approved to install a ramp but I'd be very surprised if it happen any time in the near future, again Spring would be a good time to get it done but I'd be very surprised it that happens but the very fact they plan on putting in any ramp is a good thing IMO.
I would love to see Causey get a ramp but keep it as a no motorized boats..
Jordanelle is getting lots of personal paddle boards, and the boaters don't give them any safe distance.
I hope some changes for usage on specified dates will start on several waters . It will develop like Pineview, monsters only..