Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master Fisherman
Read an article in the Wyoming news letter. 

Anyway my phone is too slow and the computer won't start new posts for me, so I have to start one then reply to it.... Sorry how I have to do things these days since I blew my money I didn't have on a 360 transducer instead of a new computer...
Anyway back to the Master Fisherman story... Don't know how many of you read or are familiar with what Wyoming is doing, but they have a master fisherman award if you catch five or ten species of fish that are in the top 5% size wise for the species then you get your name on a list and sounds like they do some kind of trinket... Well I'm not too into trinkets, but I am into a challenge and thought this sounded pretty fun, and you guys know me by now I always want to make this some kind of BFT contest of sorts. So my question for you is: Would you be interested in having a BFT Master Fisherman award? If so we would establish the size of the fish you needed to meet or exceed to qualify that species and then when you had proven your ten fish we would give you a big pat on the back and be a little jealous of you and then we would go on to help the rest of our members that wanted to accomplish this as well... What do you think? Looking at the Wyoming fish sizes it was 28" for channel cat, 12" for Crappie, 36" for Mac, 21" for Rainbow, 24" for Brown and 16" for Brook trout... Anyway all of their numbers seemed very doable, but not easy... We may start with their numbers and see how they translate to Utah fishing, some may be low and others maybe high... Anyway I'd like your thoughts? Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff, you know I like contests.  Sounds like fun to me.
Thanks Paul, it sounded really fun to me as well, but I didn't want to have to drive to Wyoming to catch the fish to enter... I kind of know where to find the fish here in Utah to hit a lot of the marks so I'd like to see if I can do it... I know I have in the past on 11 fish on the Wyoming list, so I think I could do it again... BTW it's only 16" for LMB on their list, your 21"er deserves some extra credit... Later J

Maybe we need to look at an ice masters list... run it along with the contest this year??? Later J
I’d give it a go.

Great news for you. Have you decided how you’re going to set it up for transport? I had a setup I thought I would enjoy, but I don’t like how long the ducer shaft is. Trying to convince myself to cut it down a bit.
Hey Shawn, I'm not sure yet, since I don't have the parts I haven't got a feel for what that ducer will amount too... I've seen some guys use gun racks on their wheelers or snowmobiles, but I'm still pretty worried about vibration on those ducers... I was thinking somekind of padded container, but still waiting to see what I'm working with... The monitor is a lot bigger than I'm used to , so I'll have to commit more room in my box to that... Repacking everything this year to see if I can still make things fit... Hope I can... Since I started taking the big tent I'm used to having a wagon train so those days I probably won't have an issue, but early ice traveling light, I'll bet I may be making two trips... Sure looking forward to see how this will do.... Hope it works like it does for In Depth Outdoors... If so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it... Later Jeff
We could run this idea next year vs. the grandslam contest we are doing this year. Mix it up a bit?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I think it could be fun, but let's see how much interest we get in it... Thanks J
I like the idea. I wonder if we might want to have a Journeyman award of some sort, kind of a stairstep to the big award. Would you make it strictly a Utah thing or would entries be accepted from other states? I'm thinking of those who fish in Wyo and Idaho, etc. I'd like to see what sizes per species you are thinking.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Perfect idea Craig with the Journeyman mark... Maybe 5 species, and Master at 10???? I don't think there is any reason to limit it to one state, unless we had to change sizes due to bigger fish available in one state than the other... Like a Cascade perch at 13" is much different than one that size from Utah... but I guess we could work around that anyway... I think we are starting to get some interest so I'll try to get the Wyoming numbers and see if they are reasonable to use... We can bounce it off the forum and see if the numbers we propose should be higher or lower or if they are just right... This is likely a thing that we don't need to have an end date on, but leave it as an award you can work on over multiple years... I'd like to see if we can get some photo's of the member with one of the fish they are most happy with and get some talented individual to help us make up a cool plaque we could get to each one that achieves the award... Might be cool to award at our banquets... We may have to find some funding to do this, it would be a little too spendy for me to cover on the wage I draw from the site..... (non-paid position) but something like this we may be able to get a business to sponsor... We'll have to look into it or maybe we'll ask for help from the member to cover the cost... I think it could be cool for a man cave wall or on your desk at work... Does this sound good to you guys... Later Jeff
(11-01-2021, 04:07 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Shawn, I'm not sure yet, since I don't have the parts I haven't got a feel for what that ducer will amount too... I've seen some guys use gun racks on their wheelers or snowmobiles, but I'm still pretty worried about vibration on those ducers... I was thinking somekind of padded container, but still waiting to see what I'm working with...  The monitor is a lot bigger than I'm used to , so I'll have to commit more room in my box to that... Repacking everything this year to see if I can still make things fit... Hope I can... Since I started taking the big tent I'm used to having a wagon train so those days I probably won't have an issue, but early ice traveling light, I'll bet I may be making two trips... Sure looking forward to see how this will do.... Hope it works like it does for In Depth Outdoors... If so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it... Later Jeff

Definitely not as portable as throwing the vex, jig box, and rod in a bucket and going. But I agree with you. Once you get it out there, it should be worth the effort.
Do you have yours all ready to go now? Might have ice in a couple weeks now. I’m not going to be ready unless I start doing better to get prepared. But I’m getting excited later J