Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Hacks?
(11-01-2021, 01:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I made PVC jaw jackers and found triggers on line, they cost 3 for $10. https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Quickset-...B00IBM4UNW

Here is a video on how to make one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpjs7STOMU

Thanks for the link. The triggers are the hardest to figure out and tune. These look promising
Good post, always fun trying something different.

In the Video I meant to say January 10 not June 10.

Also make sure you have a 5 or 6 inches of ice because this can weaken the ice over along period of time.

Also in the video I did not mention that this technique really enhances the bite 
while using a Jaw Jacker when bait or scent is not allowed.

I call this ice trolling ? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmWRQU2SR...e=youtu.be

Here are a few photos from that day.
[Image: 39-B72036-6-F29-47-BD-9-D9-D-863240867771.jpg]

[Image: 9035-A2-D8-63-F8-49-C7-9-E40-A00-D5141-B4-DD.jpg]

[Image: 9105-D755-3301-4-A64-A14-A-9-E3742-EAD35-E.jpg]

[Image: C4310-FB7-1-D04-4-BE2-982-F-4-A195-B71357-E.jpg]

[Image: 4-EA5603-D-A9-E5-4-FAD-A9-C2-751-B80-BAC2-CC.jpg]

[Image: 59-BAF007-251-B-4-D83-8-ADE-DD463-A807-CAF.jpg]

[Image: 6875-D226-7-CA7-47-EE-9-A0-D-C61730978956.jpg]

[Image: F5-B83-C71-86-DC-4-D25-85-D8-6-F5-EE03-D8-DCA.jpg]
Brett taught me this years ago. You can attach a bobber to your line by making a loop in your line and clipping the red & white bobber to the base of it after you get your hook down to the level you want to fish. When you get a fish on and you reel in, the bobber will pop off when it gets to the tip of the rod. It doesn't go far so you pick it up and go again. I wouldn't try this on open water. Big Grin This may be well known but I've never seen anyone else do it so thought I would share.

P.S. My writing ability is a little off today so if the directions aren't clear maybe joatmon can explain it. Or ask me to clarify.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I made some triggers out of coat hanger wire that worked pretty good for “homemade jaw jackers”
Takes a little bending here and there to adjust them, make sure to smooth the ends so it doesn’t damage guides. I fixed some in place on rod holders, but that limits them to a specific rod or length of rod that needs to match the set up. I ended up making some on “leashes” of heavier cord so I could adjust the length I needed based on the rod I was using in a holder. Pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.
I’ll try to attach some pics.
[Image: 24-DDD5-B8-464-B-4-CA7-B0-F3-9-DDF7-C1-DCDEC.jpg]

[Image: A09-D47-A2-2111-4-FF2-A669-D03-EDFF433-DB.png]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
"What have you created?"

My best "automatic" hook-setter uses one of my buckets to hold the rod, and a string anchored to the bottom of the bucket that holds the trigger, a hole drilled under one rim for the rod butt, and a pool noodle pad on opposite side.  The trigger is just the wire type, bent so you have a little tab that inserts into the eye at the tip, and a notched bead on the tip of the wire to cradle the line.  The wire trigger is tied to the string. The secret is making that string adjustable, so the trigger will work with different rod lengths, and still be sensitive. 

Next favorite is my rocking jigger.  You know those puzzle-piece floor mats?  I took one of those, cut it in half (for two rectangular pieces about 10" x 20") left the tabs on the ends, but cut them off the sides.  Next you take a piece of string about 40" long and tie it into a loop, loop the string around the tabs on the ends and adjust the loop until the floor mat bends into a curve.  Right there, you have a rocking chair to just lay your rods across, that can be adjusted for height by wrapping the twine and rocks in the breeze. 

When fishing small plastics with little wiggly legs and tails, I like to set my rod up to just barely shiver in the breeze.  I'm not good at holding the rod, for some applications.  I just bought some clothespins and colorful duct tape at the dollar store and made a couple sizes of little flags or sails attached to the clothespins. You clip them to the rod-tip when you set the rod in a holder, and the wind will just bounce and wiggle them subtly.  Bluegills seem to like it.

(10-31-2021, 11:30 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: When ice fishing in deep water (30' or more) I like to use thin, pencil bobbers but those require bobber stops so I tie up a dozen or so like this lady does in the video: How to make a slip tie for a slip bobber - YouTube I keep the bobber stops on a couple of large safety pins along with plastic beads.  If you cut the straw sections short (1/4" or less), then you can keep 3 or 4 on one safety pin.  That way when you break off or want to re-rig, you can easily add a new bobber stop quickly without having to tie one up with ice cold hands.

I just buy them, but I shoul learn to tie. 

Honestly, the best thing about finally having a little icefishing tent is being able to use slip bobbers and adjust te depth without concstantly having to fight ice building up in the float's hole, the guides, etc....or having the little string float-stop freeze to the side of your reel.

(11-01-2021, 09:27 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I pulled the 8lb braid off my regular rod and spooled 2 ice reels with it then put new 8lb braid on it. Figure its still good so why not transfer it over and put new line on the main rod. Went to some of that fancy white nanofil line... seems ok so far, I think I prefer the fireline braid in smoke gray color

I finally bought some of that gray line (may not be the same brand) because I can see it in bright sun on the ice well enough to tie knots, which I suddenly couldn't about two seasons ago.

(11-04-2021, 07:34 PM)catchinon Wrote: Brett taught me this years ago. You can attach a bobber to your line by making a loop in your line and clipping the red & white bobber to the base of it after you get your hook down to the level you want to fish. When you get a fish on and you reel in, the bobber will pop off when it gets to the tip of the rod. It doesn't go far so you pick it up and go again. I wouldn't try this on open water. Big Grin This may be well known but I've never seen anyone else do it so thought I would share.

P.S. My writing ability is a little off today so if the directions aren't clear maybe joatmon can explain it. Or ask me to clarify.

Man, I've been trying to figure out a way to do this for years!!!  I even designed a foam bobber, slit with a spiral groove that the line wraps into making a 3/4 turn, and sort of a bevel on the top end so when it hits the guide at the rod-tip the bevel would flip it out of the slit, and the bobber would rotate releasing the line. 

I definitely need better instructions.  Sounds like some sort of special but simple knot with a disappearing loop?

Edit: Oooooohhhhhh!!! I'm an idiot! Just a loop, then you put the wire clip over both strands that form the loop, and it just pulls through when you reel.