Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PB Brook Trout!
As many of you may know, I was not active on the site this summer. So this is another one of those posts where the fishing trip took place over the summer but I'm posting it now. 

So anyways, over the summer me and the YouTuber Bass'n'Trout met up and fished one of his secret lakes deep in the mountains. It was loaded with brookies and we caught a bunch! I have the video link down below. I got to collab with a YouTuber with 10,000 subscribers and broke my PB brookie! I figured you guys might want to check it out! Nothing is better than wild mountain brookies!!

https://youtu.be/z9Ak4tVYsU8
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
The only thing better than a wild Brookie - Is two...,Smile
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-01-2021, 05:44 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The only thing better than a wild Brookie - Is two...,Smile

Well Played LOL Big Grin
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Nice fish. However now that you and BassnTrout have videos on that lake it's no longer much of a secret... I have mixed emotions on YT fishing videos. I like to watch them, but I hate the fact they cause so many places to be burned or hot spotted. I know exactly where the lake in the video is and it's because Stephen shows it so much eventually it was easy to figure out. That's happened with several places he exploits. I'm not telling you to not make videos, but just be careful about the content as it often comes at a price that isn't worth it if you aren't careful.
Fun video. I have been distracted by kokanee these days, but still like to find brookies in the high mountain lakes.
(11-01-2021, 06:43 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Nice fish. However now that you and BassnTrout have videos on that lake it's no longer much of a secret... I have mixed emotions on YT fishing videos. I like to watch them, but I hate the fact they cause so many places to be burned or hot spotted. I know exactly where the lake in the video is and it's because Stephen shows it so much eventually it was easy to figure out. That's happened with several places he exploits. I'm not telling you to not make videos, but just be careful about the content as it often comes at a price that isn't worth it if you aren't careful.

That's one of the things I love about the ocean, pretty hard to hotspot as there are fish everywhere. I remember a few years back some guys made basically a feature film on Youtube of one of my spots.....I sent alot of messages to those guys...that spot was never the same. Like you said, videos are great but there is a price to be paid to putting them on the net.
If and I say IF that lake makes it through the winter I doubt it will ever be the same due to B&Ts careless exploitation. We have tried to help him and quiet him down but he just keeps blowing stuff up. Thankfully the lakes on that mountain with the really big brook trout are too difficult for him to fish with his tactics.

(11-01-2021, 06:43 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Nice fish. However now that you and BassnTrout have videos on that lake it's no longer much of a secret... I have mixed emotions on YT fishing videos. I like to watch them, but I hate the fact they cause so many places to be burned or hot spotted. I know exactly where the lake in the video is and it's because Stephen shows it so much eventually it was easy to figure out. That's happened with several places he exploits. I'm not telling you to not make videos, but just be careful about the content as it often comes at a price that isn't worth it if you aren't careful.

Well said my friend!
I wonder what Backyard Boy will call himself once he turns 18:
Backyard Man TV?
(11-02-2021, 04:28 AM)MrShane Wrote: I wonder what Backyard Boy will call himself once he turns 18:
Backyard Man TV?

By his voice that will be at least another 6-8 years. He’s not doing himself any favors hanging around B&T.?
(11-02-2021, 02:39 AM)BG1 Wrote: If and I say IF that lake makes it through the winter I doubt it will ever be the same due to B&Ts careless exploitation. We have tried to help him and quiet him down but he just keeps blowing stuff up. Thankfully the lakes on that mountain with the really big brook trout are too difficult for him to fish with his tactics.

Well said my friend!

Looks like that lake needs thinned out or a partial winter kill any ways.. The hot spotting might improve quality but does take away the solitude many of us seek. Thankfully many of the best places take too much effort for the YT crowd. Even if a rare one makes it the masses will never put in the effort.
Now let me just preface this by saying I had zero to do with this, but it's good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. This photo was taken by a friend of mine that saw this in one of the areas where Bassntrout likes to exploit the most. If you have fished in this area then you already know where this is. I'm sure it won't slow him down, but I did find humor in whomever is trying to get their point across.
[Image: Bassn-Trout.jpg]
Okay okay okay. Explanation time. One of the biggest problems I have with the internet today is the fact that people are indeed ruining spots like this. Tons of my spots have become very pressured now due to the internet. So I'm with you guys. And because of that, I am now a lot more wary on what I say and how much I show in my videos.

Me and Bass'n'Trout discussed this while we were fishing together And if there's one thing I learned about him he cares about these spots secrecy just as much as anyone else does. And he takes similar precautions as I do to keep those spots a secret. However, He's gained a large following over the years. And when you start getting thousands and thousands of views there's just some stuff you can't hide. He just likes to makes video so there's not much he can do about people finding out spots.

And my final note is. How many people actually are able to find spots by his videos? Once again I'm not here to argue but how high is the success rate? In fact, I have had people DM me on social media expressing their anger that I won't tell my spots are. Meaning that they obviously can't find it on their own. I've lost several subscribers to that. And once again, these are just my opinions and my insights. Not here to argue. Just here to make content for my homies. I will continue to make videos about small lakes like this. And I will continue to I take the precautions to keep spots secret.
My friend, As a tuber of sorts, I can only say do what you love and love what you do and be respectful to others in the process. At the end of the day half will like it and half won't - and thats okay. Same effect when I cookWink Oh, and the other half could care less anyway - wait that's to many halves. North Summit tried to teach me math but I was fishing.

As for the C and C crew you won't see as many videos from us in the future. We have drifted to making our videos more for us to watch when we are to old to crawl to the lake vs sharing with the world. We will still share some here and there but less often and mostly for humor when I fall in the lake after my hat that I snagged on the backcast
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-02-2021, 05:16 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: My friend, As a tuber of sorts, I can only say do what you love and love what you do and be respectful to others in the process.  At the end of the day half will like it and half won't - and thats okay. Same effect when I cookWink Oh, and the other half could care less anyway - wait that's to many halves. North Summit tried to teach me math but I was fishing.

As for the C and C crew you won't see as many videos from us in the future. We have drifted to making our videos more for us to watch when we are to old to crawl to the lake vs sharing with the world. We will still share some here and there but less often and mostly for humor when I fall in the lake after my hat that I snagged on the backcast

100% yes. That's exactly where I'm coming from. I like making vids as well as Bass'n'Trout and we are going to continue making them.
You said: "He's gained a large following over the years. And when you start getting thousands and thousands of views there's just some stuff you can't hide. He just likes to makes video so there's not much he can do about people finding out spots."

You are correct it becomes impossible to hide spots when you have a lot of followers and you continue to exploit those areas. If you guys cared half as much as you say you do, then you'd make your videos private instead of public. I highly suspect you two are more concerned with numbers of views, subscribers, and public undulation, than you are with protecting the resource. Your words are saying one thing, but your actions are saying the opposite.

As for figuring out where you guys are, yup it's easy after seeing so many videos of the same places over and over again.
Cool video, thanks for posting. Only thing missing is the lunch time break with some of those tasty little guys in a frying pan over a camp fire?
(11-02-2021, 02:06 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Now let me just preface this by saying I had zero to do with this, but it's good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. This photo was taken by a friend of mine that saw this in one of the areas where Bassntrout likes to exploit the most. If you have fished in this area then you already know where this is. I'm sure it won't slow him down, but I did find humor in whomever is trying to get their point across.
[Image: Bassn-Trout.jpg]

Wasn’t me!??

Truth be known I have been fishing this area and sharing with special friends for around 40 years. The lake in the video can be reached with a 2wd sedan as long as there is not too much mud or snow. It’s just a special place to me and seeing this kind of reckless exploitation is a bit disheartening to me. I mean watch some of B&Ts videos and they are almost an insult to cultured fishermen. Total mistreatment of fish, eating hot chips, cooking trout in an inedible manner, throwing his rods in the back of his truck and wondering how they break etc. A great friend of mine and I tried to help civilize him  with a free float  tube and fins, fly and spinning equipment, etc. Plus help him on tactics to put him on the better, more “educated” fish in the areas he frequents, which, Sadly, are venues I have watched and fished for years before internet and YouTube. There is one and only one person with regular YouTube videos that earns my respect, and that is Trouthowler. Kendal uses discretion and class when doing his work. Total respect for all trout but brook trout especially. To think that Kendal receives less “views” or whatever on YouTube just puzzles me. I guess watching a guymaking a tool of himself eating hot chips and burning fish is great entertainment for some, but I sure wish he would move out of that magic area he has found and just hit some less sensitive areas for his media work.
(11-02-2021, 01:03 PM)Riverdogs Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 02:39 AM)BG1 Wrote: If and I say IF that lake makes it through the winter I doubt it will ever be the same due to B&Ts careless exploitation. We have tried to help him and quiet him down but he just keeps blowing stuff up. Thankfully the lakes on that mountain with the really big brook trout are too difficult for him to fish with his tactics.

Well said my friend!

Looks like that lake needs thinned out or a partial winter kill any ways.. The hot spotting might improve quality but does take away the solitude many of us seek. Thankfully many of the best places take too much effort for the YT crowd. Even if a rare one makes it the masses will never put in the effort.

Thinned put by a selective crowd.

(11-02-2021, 04:54 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Okay okay okay. Explanation time. One of the biggest problems I have with the internet today is the fact that people are indeed ruining spots like this. Tons of my spots have become very pressured now due to the internet. So I'm with you guys. And because of that, I am now a lot more wary on what I say and how much I show in my videos.

Me and Bass'n'Trout discussed this while we were fishing together And if there's one thing I learned about him he cares about these spots secrecy just as much as anyone else does. And he takes similar precautions as I do to keep those spots a secret. However, He's gained a large following over the years. And when you start getting thousands and thousands of views there's just some stuff you can't hide. He just likes to makes video so there's not much he can do about people finding out spots.

And my final note is. How many people actually are able to find spots by his videos? Once again I'm not here to argue but how high is the success rate? In fact, I have had people DM me on social media expressing their anger that I won't tell my spots are. Meaning that they obviously can't find it on their own. I've lost several subscribers to that. And once again, these are just my opinions and my insights. Not here to argue. Just here to make content for my homies. I will continue to make videos about small lakes like this. And I will continue to I take the precautions to keep spots secret.

(11-03-2021, 04:25 AM)It BG1 Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 01:03 PM)Riverdogs Wrote:

Well said my friend!

Thinned put by a selective crowd.

(11-02-2021, 04:54 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Okay okay okay. Explanation time. One of the biggest problems I have with the internet today is the fact that people are indeed ruining spots like this. Tons of my spots have become very pressured now due to the internet. So I'm with you guys. And because of that, I am now a lot more wary on what I say and how much I show in my videos.

Tons of your spots? How many “spots” could  you have tucked under your belt? No disrespect but I highly doubt there is a single desirable brook trout haunt that you hold secret! I usually wouldn’t chance a boast like that because I want to know every single brook trout niche. But if you would lower thigh self to use B&T to gain a spot and self recognition then I highly doubt you have any info I desire. Just some I wish you didn’t have.

(11-01-2021, 07:11 PM)brookie Wrote: Fun video. I have been distracted by kokanee these days, but still like to find brookies in the high mountain lakes.

Please do not encourage these guys! Not a friend of our resources.
"Please do not encourage these guys! Not a friend of our resources."

That is one of the most sensible things I've ever read on this site! It is also 100% true.
I think we have sufficiently covered this subject and considering it has started to drift from a very reasonable discussion about the impact of YouTube videos, a very valid concern worth our time to consider, over to a bit to personal of digs, its time to close the thread.

Let's grab our poles and go do what we love.