Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice auger?
It appears that someone stole my auger. I would like to hear opinions about the different brands/models out there. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks in advance.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have a six inch auger that I can donate if you are interested.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I love my 4” auger.
A Milwaukee 18v. drill runs it forever.
I have pulled 6-7lb. Carp out of that hole( with the aid of pliers), Channel Cats, everything I catch out of Strawberry( when I fish Strawberry and the Gorge I do drills two, slightly overlapping holes just in case, and the jumbo Perch out of Cascade.
I really like how less likely I am to drop something down a 4” hole!
And, you should see them feisty little S&M Kokes come out of a 4”wx30” deep hole.
They were getting 2’ of air in my shanty.
(11-04-2021, 08:54 PM)catchinon Wrote: It appears that someone stole my auger. I would like to hear opinions about the different brands/models out there. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks in advance.

We use 8" nils and love em.
If I were you I would be looking for an auger that you can use a portable drill with. I have used electrics, hand, and gas before but I am far happier with a drill than any of the others.  There are multiple uses on the ice plus less weight.

Just wondering where your auger was at that it got stolen?
I have a 10" eskimo gas auger but 70% of the time I use a cheap 6" hand auger with my rigid cordless drill and its perfect for most the fish.
(11-05-2021, 03:31 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 08:54 PM)catchinon Wrote: It appears that someone stole my auger. I would like to hear opinions about the different brands/models out there. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks in advance.

If I were you I would be looking for an auger that you can use a portable drill with. I have used electrics, hand, and gas before but I am far happier with a drill than any of the others.  There are multiple uses on the ice plus less weight.

I have tried using a hand drill , find it hard to start the hole. It wants to wander around,  what's your secret to getting the hole started?
Thanks for the responses. I guess I didn't explain very well. It was an 8" Nils; pretty happy with it but it needed to be sharpened. I have a Milwaukee drill. I'm just wondering what advantages other brands might have.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think that the one the I got is an old Mora auger. Mr BRL1 was kind enough to donate it to me a few years ago and now I've got a different set up. I made an adapter so that I could use it with a drill of swap it out and still be able to use the handle on it.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(11-05-2021, 04:14 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I have tried using a hand drill , find it hard to start the hole. It wants to wander around,  what's your secret to getting the hole started?

Sometimes my auger will get some slush that freezes over the blades. That makes it hard to start drilling a new hole. If you’re using a power drill, simply lift the auger out of the slush hole and spin it for a few seconds in the air. This gets most of the water off the blades. Also try laying it sideways after drilling. This keeps the water from running down the fliting and stopping on the blades
Hey Craig sorry to hear about that auger. I’ve been looking at the Eskimo Pistol bit. They are so light and do a great job. I think that will be my next one. I’m just too cheap to buy one this year because of other indiscretions. Seen them from $190 to $210. Good luck and may the thief find the sharp edge of the Nils. That auger sure cut me up before I sold it to you. At least my bibs and tent cover got slashed. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-05-2021, 04:14 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

On straight ice mine wants to wander a bit at start also. In crusty snow it's just set it down and go.
My son in laws doesn't wander.  Why  ???
He has one of those clam drill to auger attachments so a fisher might have  better control.
What I do is start real slow with just a bit of pressure.
I also have a strike master.  With this one it takes more pressure to get it started and then pressure throughout the hole where as the nils only a bit to get it started. 
I had this same wander issue with the nils when using the hand crank.
The K-Drill will NOT wander at all.  It is slightly slower in drilling holes than the NILS, but I don't think ANY auger will drill a hole in ice faster than a NILS.  An added plus with the K-Drill is that you can clover leaf holes perfectly when needed or wanted.  It also costs more than the NILS.  Both are excellent choices.  If anybody is interested in purchasing a used 6" K-Drill, let me know.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
How many bucks
(11-06-2021, 06:47 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: How many bucks
PM sent.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Hey catchion-  I may have an opinion that has some merit for you, though just my opinion. I’ve been through a few augers over the years and have developed some strong preferences through mostly bad experiences. But I now have an auger set up I love. Here are my preferences in order of importance. 

1- Chipper Blades. I’ve been through a number of shaver blade augers. I always had to carry spare blades and sharpen. A shaver auger is the only thing that’s ever ruined a trip for me. I got an Eskimo Stingray 15 years ago. I have never sharpened or changed blades and it will still rip a hole. I’ve never changed or sharpened a chipper blade. 

2- Weight. I got really tired of the heaviest item I take being an auger. Even just lugging between holes gets old. 

3-  Electric. Not having to deal with gas/gas tanks leaking. Starting on sub zero mornings, etc. I will always have an electric auger with me. I did have a little bit of an issue at the Naughton derby 2 years ago. 30” of ice was max I could do and it’s the only time I shredded both my batteries. I take the old reliable gas auger when the ice is that gnarly. 

4- Drill style-  I like everything about the drill style over the larger dedicated Ion/Strikemaster style auger. If I had a second choice, it would be an Ion- but they are pricey and replacement batteries are too. 

5-  Starting point.  Your drill will never wander again, you can open old holes easily and overlap cuts. 

With all that said- I know it was long…my go to set up is a 18v Milwaukee Fuel drill w/ (2) 5 ah batteries turning a 7.5” KDrill. I’m on season 4, fishing every weekend in the season. I drill 15-40 per day and it has never let me down. I’m going to get another set up this year so my boy and don’t have to share. I’m looking hard at the new Jiffy Torch. Not sure why I am looking at something different- but that bit has my attention. It only has one chipper blade (KDrill has 2 with free lifetime sharpening). Im thinking one blade will put less torque on the drill. Chippers aren’t the fastest out there, but they are tanks. I’ve never competed in a speed drilling contest, so that’s not important to me. I will still turn it with a new Milwaukee drill. That drill has done nothing but impress me. 
Milwaukee Fuel 2604 kit- $250
7.5” KDrill- $220
Jiffy Torch- $189 (not released yet- just msrp)

Good luck, it’s a fun endeavor.
(11-07-2021, 03:59 AM)MACMAN Wrote: Hey catchion-  I may have an opinion that has some merit for you, though just my opinion. I’ve been through a few augers over the years and have developed some strong preferences through mostly bad experiences. But I now have an auger set up I love. Here are my preferences in order of importance. 

1- Chipper Blades. I’ve been through a number of shaver blade augers. I always had to carry spare blades and sharpen. A shaver auger is the only thing that’s ever ruined a trip for me. I got an Eskimo Stingray 15 years ago. I have never sharpened or changed blades and it will still rip a hole. I’ve never changed or sharpened a chipper blade. 

2- Weight. I got really tired of the heaviest item I take being an auger. Even just lugging between holes gets old. 

3-  Electric. Not having to deal with gas/gas tanks leaking. Starting on sub zero mornings, etc. I will always have an electric auger with me. I did have a little bit of an issue at the Naughton derby 2 years ago. 30” of ice was max I could do and it’s the only time I shredded both my batteries. I take the old reliable gas auger when the ice is that gnarly. 

4- Drill style-  I like everything about the drill style over the larger dedicated Ion/Strikemaster style auger. If I had a second choice, it would be an Ion- but they are pricey and replacement batteries are too. 

5-  Starting point.  Your drill will never wander again, you can open old holes easily and overlap cuts. 

With all that said- I know it was long…my go to set up is a 18v Milwaukee Fuel drill w/ (2) 5 ah batteries turning a 7.5” KDrill. I’m on season 4, fishing every weekend in the season. I drill 15-40 per day and it has never let me down. I’m going to get another set up this year so my boy and don’t have to share. I’m looking hard at the new Jiffy Torch. Not sure why I am looking at something different- but that bit has my attention. It only has one chipper blade (KDrill has 2 with free lifetime sharpening). Im thinking one blade will put less torque on the drill. Chippers aren’t the fastest out there, but they are tanks. I’ve never competed in a speed drilling contest, so that’s not important to me. I will still turn it with a new Milwaukee drill. That drill has done nothing but impress me. 
7.5” KDrill- $220

Lots of good info there, have you ever tried the nils?
(11-07-2021, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 03:59 AM)MACMAN Wrote: Hey catchion-  I may have an opinion that has some merit for you, though just my opinion. I’ve been through a few augers over the years and have developed some strong preferences through mostly bad experiences. But I now have an auger set up I love. Here are my preferences in order of importance. 

7.5” KDrill- $220

Lots of good info there, have you ever tried the nils?
(11-07-2021, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lots of good info there, have you ever tried the nils?

Yeah- in fact my ruined trip was with a 6” nils hand turn. I loved that auger tho. If I had to burn holes by hand, I would use a Nils for sure. But a drill set up is not very different in weight or bulk, so I’m never drilling by hand again.  When that Nils let me down, I hit small stone that put a burr on the blade. Definitely not the augers fault, just what can happen to a shaver. It would just spin and not cut after that. I had nothing to knock the burr off. I started carrying a small file after that. Like I said- most of my preferences are from bad experiences. Here is a counter example-  last year at the Millsite derby I hit some really dirty ice. There were layers of sand embedded in the 8” of ice. They must get some wild wind there. The shavings looked like mud at times and even had small chunks of what looked like broken rock from the surrounding landscape. My KDrill chewed right through it. I think it may have even sharpened it a little. That amount of garbage would have caused havoc with shavers.
(11-07-2021, 05:48 PM)MACMAN Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lots of good info there, have you ever tried the nils?

Yeah- in fact my ruined trip was with a 6” nils hand turn. I loved that auger tho. If I had to burn holes by hand, I would use a Nils for sure. But a drill set up is not very different in weight or bulk, so I’m never drilling by hand again.  When that Nils let me down, I hit small stone that put a burr on the blade. Definitely not the augers fault, just what can happen to a shaver. It would just spin and not cut after that. I had nothing to knock the burr off. I started carrying a small file after that. Like I said- most of my preferences are from bad experiences. Here is a counter example-  last year at the Millsite derby I hit some really dirty ice. There were layers of sand embedded in the 8” of ice. They must get some wild wind there. The shavings looked like mud at times and even had small chunks of what looked like broken rock from the surrounding landscape. My KDrill chewed right through it. I think it may have even sharpened it a little. That amount of garbage would have caused havoc with shavers.

I bought a 6" Nils for a 20v DeWalt drill motor 4 years ago, this will be it's 5th season coming up. It came with a hand attachment, in case you run out of battery juice but I have never used it. It cost me $100 for the nils and $100 for the motor at the time and it was the best investment I have ever made for ice fishing. We fish at least once a week during the season but we don't do tournaments and have never run across the conditions you have faced. I use the DeWalt a ton during the Summer and did end up buying two extra batteries but they are only 2ah batteries but hold up well for my needs. I do believe the Kdrill is the best one on the market but I just can not justify the cost, at least at this time, that could change in the future.
It is kinda splitting hairs with choosing between the drill auger bits now. They all seem to be good. Not sure you can go wrong. I looked hard at that orange nils- in fact I would have gotten it if Cabela’s would have had it. I’m glad it’s working good for you. I really like the idea of a hand crank, just in case. That’s part of the reason I’m looking at another for my boy. A backup is always good. I’ll give a review of that Jiffy Torch when I get some experience with it. All this talk about drilling ice is getting me anxious.