Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Rainbows
The last few weeks I have been going after rainbows at Strawberry. I usually troll Rapalas' and metal lures when I'm not after Kokanee, (catch mostly cutthroats and the occasional rainbow), but have been concentrating on rainbows that I can bring home. I have been having great success using my home-made kokanee lures, but without a dodger and tipping them with Berkeley pinched crawlers. I have limited on rainbows every trip and also catch many cutthroats too. Just about anywhere on the lake produces, but my go-to has been Soldier Creek. 2.2 - 2.8 mph and about 10' - 25' on downriggers or lead core. I have some of these lures listed on KSL if anyone is interested. I think I will list them in the sale forum here too.

Attached Files Image(s)

this year fishing for kokanee I caught more rainbows than I ever have in my life.     why I don't know.
If you want to use a dodger  try this one.  4.25″ Chart Fire Ice Signature Dodger  and going that fast I would not put a bend in them.
https://rockymountaintackle.com/product/...re-dodger/

and a 18" leader  (I make my own also)

I have not ate a rainbow out of strawberry in a long long time, not to tasty, but I like the ones in deer creek.
(11-08-2021, 02:35 PM)mule_skinner45 Wrote: The last few weeks I have been going after rainbows at Strawberry. I usually troll Rapalas' and metal lures when I'm not after Kokanee, (catch mostly cutthroats and the occasional rainbow), but have been concentrating on rainbows that I can bring home. I have been having great success using my home-made kokanee lures, but without a dodger and tipping them with Berkeley pinched crawlers. I have limited on rainbows every trip and also catch many cutthroats too. Just about anywhere on the lake produces, but my go-to has been Soldier Creek. 2.2 - 2.8 mph and about 10' - 25' on downriggers or lead core. I have some of these lures listed on KSL if anyone is interested. I think I will list them in the sale forum here too.

Your pictures look great, what did you do to make them larger??
(11-08-2021, 03:01 PM)liketrolling Wrote: this year fishing for kokanee I caught more rainbows than I ever have in my life.     why I don't know.
If you want to use a dodger  try this one.  4.25″ Chart Fire Ice Signature Dodger  and going that fast I would not put a bend in them.
https://rockymountaintackle.com/product/...re-dodger/

and a 18" leader  (I make my own also)

I have not ate a rainbow out of strawberry in a long long time, not to tasty, but I like the ones in deer creek.

In my opinion, you are absolutely wrong about the Strawberry rainbows eating quality. The fillets are bright orange, and the fish are firm and fantastic smoked, bbq'd, or fried.

[Image: IMG-4429.jpg]

The large fillets on top are Kokanee, the smaller ones are rainbows, (August 2021).

(11-08-2021, 04:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 02:35 PM)mule_skinner45 Wrote: The last few weeks I have been going after rainbows at Strawberry. I usually troll Rapalas' and metal lures when I'm not after Kokanee, (catch mostly cutthroats and the occasional rainbow), but have been concentrating on rainbows that I can bring home. I have been having great success using my home-made kokanee lures, but without a dodger and tipping them with Berkeley pinched crawlers. I have limited on rainbows every trip and also catch many cutthroats too. Just about anywhere on the lake produces, but my go-to has been Soldier Creek. 2.2 - 2.8 mph and about 10' - 25' on downriggers or lead core. I have some of these lures listed on KSL if anyone is interested. I think I will list them in the sale forum here too.

Your pictures look great, what did you do to make them larger??
I took the photo's with my I-phone and actually had to convert them to JPG, and reduce them by 80% to the size I posted.