Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry’s Lake 11-6-21 Ice check
Hey guys I got up to Henry’s Saturday and did a little fishing. Weather report wasn’t very accurate, it was supposed to have been sunny and in the upper 40’s with light variable winds. I went out with my high school fishing buddy and my wife’s dad. Lucky for us Alton had a sweet boat for nasty days. We fished off of Wild Rose after launching from the county dock. They’ve taken all the docks out of the water so launching a big boat is difficult. Anyway Alton has the fish dialed in so shortly after we got the rods in the water the bites began. We used his rods and reels except for one of mine that I figured I had the rig dialed in. Well after 19 fish mine still didn’t get hit. So much for my abilities. Anyway we fished in that spot till the waves got too rough so we crossed to the cliffs and tried it for a couple hours with no bites while we waited for the whitecaps to subside. Finally it looked better so we went back to the original area and set up again. Well the wind really picked up and even with 3 anchors we couldn’t hold it very well. A storm was rolling over Sawtelle and I think Alton was getting ready to go, then all at once we got 3 hits, giving each of us our second kept fish for our limits. Fun day except for the wind and my pole that must have been broken cause nothing would bite for me. Alton felt bad for me and let me catch 3 on his rods. I accepted the charity. Anyway Alton’s temp transducer wasn’t working so I didn’t get a water temp but felt warm considering I want it to freeze. I tried a video so attached is my link. Sorry my first attempt and I need to learn how to edit. Later J

Sorry waiting for my youtube link to get to my mail box... will attach as soon as it shows up... J

https://youtu.be/og0Yk4vqONA
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Oh here’s a few pics.
[Image: 8080364-F-50-DA-43-ED-B74-E-82-CE4-E7-CF843.jpg]

[Image: B54569-BA-66-FD-49-A1-91-FC-7-C3-C7-F898308.jpg]

[Image: F6-EB36-B3-EEEF-44-E3-A7-E3-EF4574288-E18.jpg]

[Image: 191095-D5-C25-A-483-D-AABE-BEF2616-E8-C18.jpg]
Looks like a sweet boat for rough weather.
Sure was Kent, I'm afraid I might be able to learn how to fish in the waves if I had a boat like that... Best part was I never put on my coveralls or a heavy coat, my puffer jacket was all it took to keep me plenty warm in a pretty stiff wind all day long... I would have froze in my boat, even with all my winter duds on... Alton had a heater, but we didn't need it with that nice cabin... Be interesting to see how long those windows stay so nice and clear... Most plastic windows usually get sort of cloudy so you can't see through them, but these were great for looking through... Oh if I'd only been rich, I think I'd be looking for a new toy... but I don't get enough time on the water to justify putting that much money into one toy... Sure is nice to have friends that are willing to invite you along though... Fun times for sure... Later J
Wow, those are some great fish.  Henry's can sure give up some bruisers.
Thanks Paul, I love fishing at Henry's, the fish are so pretty and a small one there is big anywhere else.... Usually fat and footballs for sure... This round the biggest was only 24" with most between 20 to 24"..... We weighed the fish we cleaned after cleaning and taking the heads off and they still averaged over 2.5 lbs each... I wish we would have checked sooner, they probably were around 4 lb average, with the biggest maybe close to 6 lbs... The first 3 we kept the bigger fish, but the last 3 were what bit, so a little smaller fish and yet they still were nice fish...

Still trying to decide why I couldn't buy a bite on my pole... Not sure if line weight is that critical, I was using 10 lb orange leader and Alton was set up with 4 or 6 lb clear mono.... Between that and using a bigger circle hook was the only real difference in the set ups... I typically haven't worried about line weight that much, but maybe I need to start paying more attention to it... later J
Well done Jeff, good to see you getting some time on the water after a busy summer
Thanks Alan, it's been fun to get out a little, but I'm needing to knock the rust off, I'm not catching as well as I'd like to... Tried Hyrum on Veterans day and the perch schooled me, but I got some bows to save the skunk... Found a nice crappie the other day and a 12" bass that was fun to catch... but I'm not finding very big numbers on any trip yet... How have you been doing lately? You fishing Bear Lake yet? I keep hearing both good and slow trips over there, nothing very consistent yet... After Thanksgiving, I'm going to start getting my ice stuff set up and ready to roll... Hopefully won't be too much longer... Have a good one... Jeff
(11-15-2021, 01:18 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Alan, it's been fun to get out a little, but I'm needing to knock the rust off, I'm not catching as well as I'd like to...  Tried Hyrum on Veterans day and the perch schooled me, but I got some bows to save the skunk...  Found a nice crappie the other day and a 12" bass that was fun to catch... but I'm not finding very big numbers on any trip yet... How have you been doing lately?  You fishing Bear Lake yet? I keep hearing both good and slow trips over there, nothing very consistent yet... After Thanksgiving, I'm going to start getting my ice stuff set up and ready to roll... Hopefully won't be too much longer... Have a good one... Jeff

I haven’t been for quite awhile, was out helping a neighbor on a deer hunt and the couple days I thought I was going to fish turned to weather days. If it gets as cold as it’s supposed to up north of here Henry’s could cap in the next week
Hey that would be good news.... I know we are supposed to get colder soon, but I don't think it's close to ice here yet, but Henry's would be nice... I'd like to head up that way for Thanksgiving break if it freezes by then... Been seeing some Uinta reports on ice... guess since the ice contest starts today, it's time to start looking for brookies before the snow gets too deep to access some of those lakes...  Maybe we won't get ice till after Christmas this year... Hard to know, but seems like a lot warmer fall so far...