Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice lures, etc.
(11-10-2021, 02:37 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 01:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Fritz, I do have quite a few in colors I don't use very often.... I'm just worried about when my crazy glow Orange supply is exhausted... I also like the natural glow color too, it's the whitish clear color.... I think we'll have to follow Brett's lead and contact James when we need a new supply...  So how much does a hundred pieces cost?  Is that the same order size for the hooks?  If so and someone goes for the 1/16 oz vertigo heads and wants to split the order, I'll go in with you... I love the flat head design.... If they had the flat head in the vertigo 2 head that allows you to attach a dropper, I'd take some of those too... That's the first one I'm almost out of... Let me know if anyone wants to split orders on any of the things I've mentioned?  I'll take from half down to ten each on hooks and for the plastics I'd like to get closer to 50... Let me know, later Jeff

I want in on a order as well, is there one of you guys who knows James fairly well to set up a BFT bulk order, and see if he has the various jig heads people want. I like the vertigo heads with and without the dropper but I REALLY like his swim heads in the 1/16oz. size.

I reached out to James today and inquired about Vertigo and Swim Heads.  I am willing to "front" and order with James, then will need to get it broken up and out to whoever orders.  I need to check in my gear to see what weight Vertigos I've been using with my Gizzillas.  I would also like some more substantial (1/2 ounce?) for use at Flaming Gorge this winter.  Should I set up a separate thread for orders?  I guess I'll wait to hear back from James first...

jack of all tackle, master of none
(11-10-2021, 09:04 PM)joatmon Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 01:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Fritz, I do have quite a few in colors I don't use very often.... I'm just worried about when my crazy glow Orange supply is exhausted... I also like the natural glow color too, it's the whitish clear color.... I think we'll have to follow Brett's lead and contact James when we need a new supply...  So how much does a hundred pieces cost?  Is that the same order size for the hooks?  If so and someone goes for the 1/16 oz vertigo heads and wants to split the order, I'll go in with you... I love the flat head design.... If they had the flat head in the vertigo 2 head that allows you to attach a dropper, I'd take some of those too... That's the first one I'm almost out of... Let me know if anyone wants to split orders on any of the things I've mentioned?  I'll take from half down to ten each on hooks and for the plastics I'd like to get closer to 50... Let me know, later Jeff

I want in on a order as well, is there one of you guys who knows James fairly well to set up a BFT bulk order, and see if he has the various jig heads people want. I like the vertigo heads with and without the dropper but I REALLY like his swim heads in the 1/16oz. size.

I reached out to James today and inquired about Vertigo and Swim Heads.  I am willing to "front" and order with James, then will need to get it broken up and out to whoever orders.  I need to check in my gear to see what weight Vertigos I've been using with my Gizzillas.  I would also like some more substantial (1/2 ounce?) for use at Flaming Gorge this winter.  Should I set up a separate thread for orders?  I guess I'll wait to hear back from James first...
I think starting another string would be good, with a price list would be great, then those of us that want to order could post to that string with what we want.
Id take probably 20 of the white swim head jigs and 20 of the black. Is he doing any of the "double trouble" heads?
For years, I thought smaller and slower was usually better for icefishing, but I've learned not to be shy witt perch and trout.  My favorite perch lures are similar to the Northland Forage Minnow, but longer and more banana-shaped, with more weight on the bottom.  Sometimes called rocker-jigs, wobble jigs, banana jigs, or wacky jigs (in salt water, mostly).  I always buy them off Ebay, and the brand varies, but I'll try to post a pic.  For perch, especially when they a really deep like at PV, I learned that getting back down the hole is important!  These can be rested on the bottom, jigged, it's easy to figure out by feel how far off the bottom you are, and for some reason, I can really detect bites, and angle the hook hangs at really promotes good hooksets.  

[Image: Ice-jigs.jpg]

The other smart thing I did last year was buy a grab bag of these little soft plastics, also on Ebay called "bream Bugs" with long wiggly legs.  They are awesome, because you can snip them shorter and have 9/7/5, or 3 legs, they wiggle and swoop, and I got a 2 oz. grab bag for $5.00 or something.  
[Image: spider-monkeys.jpg]

I'm not as good a paining as TubeDude, but I learned I can make similar "wobble jigs" by flattening out regular tube-jig heads. This requires some sort of metal rod with a flat end and a hole drilled in the middle that you can place over the hook's eye while you tap the other end of the rod with a hammer. They work, but I wish I could find even smaller jigs.

I loaded up on cheap spoons at Wally's. They had been stocking Castmaster knock-offs for $2.00 in various colors and I've probably bought 12 of them over the last two years in perch, chrome, and fire-tiger colors. Most of them got made into Hali-jig knock-offs, aka chain-spoons using tiny swivels, with a nice thin, sharp octopus or mosquito hook.

I can't always afford the newest stuff, so instead of buying rattle-spoons, I have been threading glass and plastic beads loosely on bits of wire, or with stops right to my line. When I jig them inside a gallon glass jar, you can ear the slight ring as you jig, so they must rattle.

Lastly, hard to describe, but I made some little plastic kites, or hang-gliders, out of soda bottles, that work as little hydro-planes. They install above any jig and make it swim forward in circles or erratic patterns on the drop, like the Tikki-jig or Jiggin' Rap does. It also slows the fall, and makes them take of randomly to the side when lifted. In deep water, the slow fall can be a detriment, but it makes jigging look like something other than bouncing.
(11-10-2021, 11:15 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 09:04 PM)joatmon Wrote:

I think starting another string would be good, with a price list would be great, then those of us that want to order could post to that string with what we want.

Okay, not sure I'll get a price list out of him.  Likely will need to identify what is wanted and let him price by the lot (100 or 200), then put it out that way back on BFT.  I will try to glean out of several existing threads what people wish they could still find as a starter.

(11-10-2021, 02:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 06:29 AM)joatmon Wrote: James at Maniac will still do some custom runs, but it will be big batches (100 or more) and he may not have materials for everything.  I had him run 100 gizzillas (green glow) in March, and he turned them around very quickly for me (less than a week).   May take getting a group order together?

PM me if you want his contact info.

When you say 100 or more are you saying 100 packages?

Sorry, missed seeing this.  No, 100 pieces.  I paid $35 for 100 crazy glow gizzillas in March.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(11-11-2021, 04:49 PM)joatmon Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 02:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: When you say 100 or more are you saying 100 packages?

Sorry, missed seeing this.  No, 100 pieces.  I paid $35 for 100 crazy glow gizzillas in March.
OK, thanks for the info and the price, so members know how to judge how much they will cost. FYI: anyone that starts a thread about buying stuff from James, that thread will need to be moved to the For Sale board after it is started.
I want some of the items Jeff and Obi are getting. Get with me, Brett, when you are about ready to go and I'll try to fill in any spots where you need to add a few to make the order.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It was a Sad day when I heard Maniac was closing down its operations.  Unsure of what to do about it, I went out and purchased a bunch of molds and started making my own baits.  They aren't quite the same as what Maniac makes, but I've had great success with them so far.

I sell a few online to support my newfound hobby.  I just launched a website if you want to check it out: www.packnfish.com

I make a bunch of other stuff that isn't listed if you want to send a message I can whip something up.  I have molds for the minnow jigheads and I have lots of plastics made in the white with red glitter (also one of my favorites).