Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL Island & LB
Finally got all the hunting done for the year, put a deer and elk in the freezer,  Just got home on Friday still  unpacking stuff,  looked at the weather probably the last day in the 60s, so put off cleaning and grabbed the boat, wasn't sure about Lincoln harbor, so Provo it is, showed up about 10, one other trailer, headed to the island, fished the sw side, had a couple taps,  pulled up some golden scales a couple times  finally had a good hit and busted right off, a few cuss words tied a new jig on,    there is a platform of some kind on the island, not sure why other than to watch birds, they better get it off or the ice will take it away,

[Image: IMG-20211114-162034522.jpg]

I could see some shinny things at LB so headed that way, wading warriors are out so eyes must be there, 

[Image: IMG-20211114-144724836.jpg]

headed past to check out my favorite secret spot, to bad its out of the water, fished around it for bit, hooked in to a big one,  was taking line but didnt feel right, finally got it up to see goldeneye in the back, after fighting for about 5 minutes the hook come out, run back up to the warriors slipped in just out of reach of them, after about 5 casts, smack fish on, felt good and the right kind, still love it when the roll at the boat and you can see the for the first time, quick scoop and in the boat, 
[Image: IMG-20211114-140801404.jpg]
had some WB teasing me a few times had one other tapping the jig right to the boat to the point I couldnt reel no more just moving the pole, but he couldnt hang on, seen the warriors pull a couple eyes and WB in,  headed back to provo with glass.

[Image: IMG-20211114-161807096-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211114-161811364-HDR.jpg]

made home about dark, to make dinner, 
[Image: IMG-20211114-183556870.jpg]
had a really good day..
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I have that same ruler for measuring cats though it didn't get used much this year. Looks like you got a decent eye though. Glad it went well. With elk and deer and fishing man I'm jealous
Living the good life it sounds like... Way to go on knowing where to find the eyes, but I know that's taken you lots of work to figure out... Nice now that you can target and actually find eyes... Well done... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Mooseman, Thanks, ya I go that one hoping it was gonna be to short, hasent happened yet.

Skunk. Thanks, ya its taken alot of years, alot of time on the water, hundreds of way points, very handy when the lake gets this low, its immortant to know where the rocks are
               O.C.F.D.
I'm really noticing a big change in fish hangouts this year where the levels are so much lower than I'm used to having fished in my recent memory... It's a big switch up for me... That's where decades of experience starts to come in handy... I need to get better at keeping up a fishing journal... I start thinking things are always the same and a year like this really changes things up... Good reason to learn how to take notes... and have GPS points for different levels as well... Thanks for those tips.... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
UL is different, than most lakes, I have side imaged miles of shore line where it comes up off the flat bottom, the place I limited this spring is out of the water now, the pic of the warriors show how the stand in a line as far as they can wade out, I have that line marked, its the rock shelf TD talks about, its always changing for sure,
               O.C.F.D.
The thing you have to remember about the Lincoln Beach area is that the lava was pushed out in flows. If you pay close attention to the exposed shoreline, you can see the layers that were formed. Each layer is about 12 inches thick and 50 to 100 ft, long/wide. So they are a series of steps extending from the shoreline out into the lake, each "step" ( or shelf ) is 50 to 100 ft. long/wide, then a drop of about 12 inches, then another shelf. Those "steps" extend out till you reach the mud basin. Then you go for maybe a 1/4 mile till you hit the upwell that is Bird Island. Those shelf's are the major "structure" on the south shore. You can follow the contour with your sonar and troll a bait along each lip where the fish may be holding. The waders are casting on the deepest shelf they can reach and fishing the flat part before it drops off. Sometimes it is hard to see the lip of the shelf due to the broken rock and rubble that is on it, but they show up on your sonar pretty clearly !! The whole length of Lincoln Beach is like that from the shore to the mud basin, 1/4 mile or so in width, with those 12 inch steps. That lava is very snaggy, eats a lot of baits!!! easier to fish from a boat than wading.
(11-15-2021, 09:19 PM)Therapist Wrote: The thing you have to remember about the Lincoln Beach area is that the lava was pushed out in flows.  If you pay close attention to the exposed shoreline,  you can see the layers that were formed. Each layer is about 12 inches thick and 50 to 100 ft, long/wide.  So they are a series of steps extending from the shoreline out into the lake,  each "step" ( or shelf ) is 50 to 100 ft. long/wide, then a drop of about 12 inches, then another shelf.  Those "steps" extend out till you reach the mud basin.  Then you go for maybe a 1/4 mile till you hit the upwell that is Bird Island.  Those shelf's are the major "structure" on the south shore. You can follow the contour with your sonar and troll a bait along each lip where the fish may be holding.  The waders are casting on the deepest shelf they can reach and fishing the flat part before it drops off.  Sometimes it is hard to see the lip of the shelf due to the broken rock and rubble that is on it,  but they show up on your sonar pretty clearly !!  The whole length of Lincoln Beach is like that from the shore to the mud basin, 1/4 mile or so in width, with those 12 inch steps.  That lava is very snaggy, eats a lot of baits!!!  easier to fish from a boat than wading.

Very good way to put it,  I see some finding it with there motors,  where the waders are is not to snaggy like the island,  

was wonder if anyone has launched at LB lately.
               O.C.F.D.