Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Black Friday: Southern Crappie
So I've managed to get out of any shopping duties on Black Friday and want to chase some crappie. Problem is we'll be in St. George and I've never fished that area. I do have a state parks pass but will be fishing from shore. Am leaning towards Sand Hollow but am open to input. Any info anyone is willing to share would be appreciated.
Hit the docks at Powell. If they're still in the water.
Forget Powell unless you have a boat and want to drive. Gunlock, northwest of St. George is where you want to go. Crappie are the main offering there and most of the lake is accessible by shore. Gunlock is the lake that Bobby Garland used to test all his baits on. The "Fat Gitzit" was developed there. Huge Crayfish population, lots of Crappie, LMB and SMB, plus some bullheads and channel cats. Recommend that you use 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs under a bobber. Garland Baby Shad and similar plastics tipped with a Crappie nibble. Just wander the shoreline, casting to stickups and other visible cover. There is a launch ramp ( State Park ) if you do have a boat/ float tube/ pontoon/kayak. It is not a large lake and with the low water it will be shallow. Upper end is mostly brush, while the dam end has rock w /some brush.

There are some crappie( and big Bluegills) in both Sand Hollow and Quail Creek, however, you really need a boat here. Gunlock is your best bet for sure !! Have Fun !!!
So how did your outing go?? Where did you end up and how did you do ???
Thanks to all for the info. Took my boys out to Gunlock on Friday afternoon. Not a bite, but from what I was hearing no one was seeing any action. Still it was nice to get away with the boys and see a new lake. Will have to give it another run next time I'm down that way.
BUMMER X10: Sorry that you did not catch anything. It is a nice little pond. Better Luck next time. Hope the boys had a good time anyway !!!
Yeah, hard to get into Crappies from the bank down here this time of year. Their generally holding out in 30-40' of water on brush piles in GL, SH and QC.
Did you take my advice on Gunlock? Try the other spot I messaged you?
(12-02-2021, 03:00 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Did you take my advice on Gunlock?  Try the other spot I messaged you?

We worked our way that direction but I'm not sure we made it far enough before I lost the boy's attention span. I may have not go alone so I can explore more. Thanks for your info.