Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Ice
I went up and checked today and there is still open water mostly. no safe ice yet.  But it is starting to freeze at the state marina. There was an inch of ice and it should stay and get thicker now. I might check again early next week.
Thanks Randy, when I seen it had frozen I was pretty excited, but looked at weather forecast and figured it wouldn't last... Would sure appreciate any updates your willing to provide... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I went up again this morning. Still mostly open water. My favorite Stalleys, only had 1 inch of ice. I stepped through with one foot. Wet almost to my knee. So I went back to the State marina. 3" of ice there. Lot's of people. One group went past me 50 yards or so and set up a big Eskimo tent. And the Ice started sinking on them. Check out the Idaho side for my fishing report.
Thanks Randy, we’re heading up later this morning. Been hearing stories all over from 1 to 4” and some catching going on. So I’m hoping another night of cold will make it thick enough to hold me. More later today. J
Did you guys hear that the ice season on Henry's has now been extended to Feb. 15th. After that it is catch and release until opening weekend in May. Basically it has turned into a year round fishery. Not sure how the fly guys will like that?

Rob
I made it out on Friday and we had a few failures in getting on the ice to start out... first area the road was a bit too slick and icy for the vehicle we were in, so we went to the state park and wow, you ever watched the seals on the national geographic special? That ice ledge looked kind of like that.... Not sure you could have squeezed many more ice fishermen on it... so we went to another unnamed area that we ended up being the only two nuts to go out on it, but it was 3-4" of ice so i was okay with the spot... Started at 9:30 and by 10:45 we had caught 15-16 fish between the two of us... All between 19-21" and really pretty fish, great fighters and I had a total blast... I remember why I love Henry's and Ice Fishing.... I was really afraid we were going to have a bust of a trip, so I count myself really lucky to have started so late in the day and still been able to catch some fish... Like most are saying the fish pretty much quit biting around 10:30 so be there early if you can... Also most of the lake was about 1-2" of ice on Friday, way short of what I'd consider safe ice... Make sure to take a spud and use it, I was taking about 3 hits to go through where we fished, but other spots it went through first hit... We didn't get on there... We were fishing in shallow water, about 4-5' deep, so I could almost see the bottom... fish were hitting tentatively, I watched them taking it sort of side mouthed, and not getting the hook into their mouths, they also did lots of tail swipes, so I had about 4 or 5 hits to each fish we caught... So yes it was very good fishing, I had a total blast... Later J
Only brook trout count??
Guess I didn't get any counters this trip... Cuts and hybrids only... J
I was back up today. Scouting and some fishing. I pretty much drove all the way around Henry's checking ice. There is still just a little safe ice. I did get a three pound brookie. And a smaller brook. 
[Image: 20211201-095526.jpg]

[Image: 20211201-101838.jpg]
(12-01-2021, 11:51 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I was back up today. Scouting and some fishing. I pretty much drove all the way around Henry's checking ice. There is still just a little safe ice. I did get a three pound brookie. And a smaller brook. 
[Image: 20211201-095526.jpg]

[Image: 20211201-101838.jpg]

Nicely done and thanks for the update. Was the whole lake capped?
Pretty much but already getting weak and ready for planks to get on the ice at the State Marina for instance. But a week from now forcast is 20 degrees highs.

It was kind of weird today as all I saw caught were Brook trout.
Thanks Randy, sure appreciate the update... Nice fish too, way to go.... Jeff
(12-02-2021, 02:43 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Pretty much but already getting weak and ready for planks to get on the ice at the State Marina for instance. But a week from now forcast is 20 degrees highs.

Thanks Randy, this weather is really putting a damper on our annual Henrys trip  Sad
(12-02-2021, 03:54 PM)Not much better fish in Henry’s.Muskyon46 Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 02:43 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Pretty much but already getting weak and ready for planks to get on the ice at the State Marina for instance. But a week from now forcast is 20 degrees highs.

Thanks Randy, this weather is really putting a damper on our annual Henrys trip  Sad

Not a better fish in Henry’s than the brook trout!