Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scent killer
For some time I've been using Palmolive antibacterial dish soap to get fish stink off my hands, etc. It absolutely kills the smell. Today I cut up some onions for dressing. It completely killed that odor. Anyone else have something that works like this?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hand sanitizer does a great job at getting rid of the fish smell.
I'm a fan of Irish spring.
Lava soap.
Baking soda along with regular dish soap.
Lemon joy
Covid fixed my ability to smell fish.
(11-25-2021, 09:17 PM)catchinon Wrote: For some time I've been using Palmolive antibacterial dish soap to get fish stink off my hands, etc. It absolutely kills the smell. Today I cut up some onions for dressing. It completely killed that odor. Anyone else have something that works like this?

I use the orange pumice hand cleaner (from the auto parts store) and it zaps the fish smell.  Don't use water with it, just rub the liquid soap in and scrub.  Then rinse with water.
Why would you want to get the fish smell off your hands? Think of it as Man Perfume...and if you are fishing, that means you're having some luck,

and  the fish smell is good on your bait and lures that you handle....and if you are not fishing, Why aren't you?! Big Grin
I bought a soap shaped piece of stainless steel (I think it was stainless steel) that are supposed to kill any odor. It seems to work pretty well when I rub my hands with it under the water, the only problem is the the metal doesn't spread to coat every surface like soap will.
[i]When your out in the boat catching & handling fish naturally your going to at least rinse off the hands usually with lake water. The fish aroma is still there and this is going on much of the day. Next thing you know you reach for a sandwich, some chips or some jerky. Does that bother you that there is a fish odor on your hands? It doesn't me at all, its chow time, finger lickin' good.  Big Grin  A lifetime of handling fish and more time in the future to do the same, Lets go fishing. I do wash my hands at the end of the day. Thanksgiving Day my hands were involved with handling garlic making up a special butter spread. I had KP duty which included dishwashing. This morning I can still smell the aroma of garlic on my hands but its not that bad at all. [/i]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Lava hand soap.
While on the boat I use Lava hand soap. At home I just use liquid hand soap and pay close attention to fingernails.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Love that faint smell of might crawlers under the nails. ?
(11-25-2021, 09:17 PM)catchinon Wrote: For some time I've been using Palmolive antibacterial dish soap to get fish stink off my hands, etc. It absolutely kills the smell. Today I cut up some onions for dressing. It completely killed that odor. Anyone else have something that works like this?

I grew up salmon fishing and tried lots of different remedies. I have always rinsed my hands in COLD water and then rub my hands with regular table salt. This somehow neutralizes the fish smell. Finish off with hand soap and you smell no odor at all.

TiteLines
I keep a spray bottle of general cleaning solution in the boat. It's 50/50 white vinegar and water with two drops of Dawn soap. It cleans the boat of lake scum, removes watermark stains - and cleans my hands of all fish smell.