Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial Lake 11-26-2021
I headed back up to the Uintas after seeing reports that Trial Lake had capped and was safe to fish.  The highway is open and clear.  The road from the highway to the parking area by the dam was snowpacked and icy in spots.  Arrived about 8:30 am to find a half dozen groups already on the ice (max about 10 groups seen).  Ice was about 4 inches thick and water was about 20 feet where I was (mid lake, 100 feet or so north of the dam).  Air temperature was 17 degrees on arrival.  Ice was mostly snow covered, with patches of ice.  I wore my Korkers Apex ice cleats to get back off.  Edges were a little soft right at the edge.

I fished two holes, but really had a hard time keeping both poles baited and in the water.  Fish seemed to be at around 6-8 feet and then at the bottom.  Occasionally would see and catch fish at around 13-15 feet.  It was common to see a fish swim all the way up from the bottom to hit a jig at 6 feet.

I ended up icing a total of 73 fish in 5-1/2 hours, with breakdown as follows - rainbows (37), tigers (34), and brookies (2).  Smallest was one of the brookies at 7 inches and largest was a tiger at 14 inches.

I caught fish on wax worms (alone and with crappie nibble), meal worms (alone and with crappie nibble), and nub of nightcrawler (alone and with crappie nibble).  I seemed to have best luck with mealworms and a chartreuse crappie nibble.  Eventually ran out of everything except nightcrawlers and crappie nibbles.  I used a small white tungsten jig and a white/orange tungsten jig.  I eventually traded the orange and white tungsten jig for a fire tiger shad dart jig (see my jig/hook question post).

I did see one snowmobile on the lake, but he stayed along the edge within 25 feet of shore.

Not huge fish, but it was a fun day, and provided some "starter" fish for the ice challenge.

**Consider joining the 21-22 Ice Challenge!**

[Image: IMG-5865.jpg]

[Image: Brookie-11-26-21.jpg]

[Image: Rainbow-11-26-21.jpg]

[Image: Tiger-11-26-21.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Great start to the ice season and the Ice Challenge. I hope to see more lakes capped soon.
Wow, great day on the ice, that is the highest number of fish caught while ice fishing that I can remember.