Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial Lake Report
On Friday I was able to go with my dad up to the Uintas to try some high country ice fishing.  We ended up stopping at Trial Lake first (we intended to go elsewhere later, but didn't get around to it).  It was a gorgeous day!  Sunny, not a lot of wind so it was really pleasant.  Not a lot of people there, so we set up relatively close to the dam and had holes drilled in 14-16 feet of water with our lines suspended between 10-12 feet jigging to get attention, but then also deadsticking it.  

Got the first line in the water around 8:45am and it didn't take long for the first hits to come.  It was just the two of us, but the hits were coming pretty fast and constant.  First jig I had out was white w/ red specks.  It was quite a bit bigger than I thought would do well, but it was getting constant action.  We also used smaller jigs that were green, pink, white and orange.  It seemed that color did not really matter much.  The fish were taking just about everything and we had them tipped with meal worms, night crawlers, and shrimp.  The fasted action came on the shrimp and at times it was hard to keep the lines in the water.  Nightcrawlers also did really well and mealworms ok.  Towards the afternoon, the orange ratfinkie was doing really well with anything on it.

We called it a day and packed up around 1:30pm.  Not sure how many we caught, didn't keep track, but it was a lot.  We didn't really have any boring moments during our time on the ice.  Most of the fish were the expected 8-12in rainbows, tigers and brookies that you always catch in the Uintas, but we had a couple that were close to that 14in range.  Couple fatties, but most looked quite skinny.  Overall, we were doing quite a bit better than the others around us it seemed.  I told them what we were using an how deep we were fishing, but they couldn't seem to replicate the success we were having.  Not sure why.  Either way, my dad and I had a blast.  I'll definitely be looking to do the Unitas early season again in the future.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
Great report, love those early trips and Father son is even better, thanks for sharing with us... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks for sharing. I hope this turn in weather finally gets a few lower elevation waters ready.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Great report. I have a vague idea that you may have had better action than those around you because you were located over the old streambed or some other attractive structure. As they say in business, "Location, location, location." Or you could just be better fishermen than they were  Big Grin.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

How many Brookies did you guys catch total. Looking for a good place to catch some nice ones through the ice. Thanks for the report.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(12-07-2021, 01:43 PM)catchinon Wrote: Great report. I have a vague idea that you may have had better action than those around you because you were located over the old streambed or some other attractive structure. As they say in business, "Location, location, location." Or you could just be better fishermen than they were  Big Grin.

Pretty sure it's that I'm just a better fisherman than anyone else.  Tongue  Haha!  Kidding... I suppose the fish were really liking what we were presenting.

(12-08-2021, 04:58 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: How many Brookies did you guys catch total. Looking for a good place to catch some nice ones through the ice. Thanks for the report.

Of the many that we caught that morning, only two were Brookies. I'm not sure where a good place would be to go to grab some good ones through the ice.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~