Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day at Willard
Ira, Robert and I got out on Willard today and fished from 7:30 am to a little after 1pm. Water temp was only two degrees cooler than two weeks ago and the barometer was reading pretty high 30.6, so we did not know what to expect. It was very slow from the start but finally we were able to pick up a perch, then a cat, then a crap, then it really  slowed down. We finally pick up two more perch and a decent cat but that was it for the day. Fished in Freeway bay in 9 FOW, slow trolling fligs with chub meat. Silver and blue were the early favorites, the Pale perch caught them later. Water temps need to cool off before we can expect it to improve much. There were 10 boat trailers in the parking lot when we left, that's a lot for this late in the season.

[Image: 20211112-154758.jpg]

[Image: willard-carp-11-21.jpg]
(11-13-2021, 02:03 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira, Robert and I got out on Willard today and fished from 7:30 am to a little after 1pm. Water temp was only two degrees cooler than two weeks ago and the barometer was reading pretty high 30.6, so we did know what to expect. It was very slow from the start but finally we were able to pick up a perch, then a cat, then a crap, then it really  slowed down. We finally pick up two more perch and a decent cat but that was it for the day. Fished in Freeway bay in 9 FOW, slow trolling fligs with chub meat. Silver and blue were the early favorites, the Pale perch caught them later. Water temps need to cool off before we can expect it to improve much. There were 10 boat trailers in the parking lot when we left, that's a lot for this late in the season.

[Image: 20211112-154758.jpg]
Nice perch! Sorry you were not able to find more. I'm sure that in not so long a time you will.
rj
Did you launch from the north marina?
Did you spend the day trolling around?
(11-13-2021, 02:16 AM)r2u2 Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 02:03 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira, Robert and I got out on Willard today and fished from 7:30 am to a little after 1pm. Water temp was only two degrees cooler than two weeks ago and the barometer was reading pretty high 30.6, so we did know what to expect. It was very slow from the start but finally we were able to pick up a perch, then a cat, then a crap, then it really  slowed down. We finally pick up two more perch and a decent cat but that was it for the day. Fished in Freeway bay in 9 FOW, slow trolling fligs with chub meat. Silver and blue were the early favorites, the Pale perch caught them later. Water temps need to cool off before we can expect it to improve much. There were 10 boat trailers in the parking lot when we left, that's a lot for this late in the season.
Nice perch! Sorry you were not able to find more. I'm sure that in not so long a time you will.
rj

Thanks Richard.
(11-13-2021, 03:17 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Did you launch from the north marina?
Did you spend the day trolling around?

Yes, North marina.
Yes, we slow trolled all day, at .5 mph.
Thanks, I'm going up in the morning. Going to try some other tricks.
(11-13-2021, 04:10 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Thanks, I'm going up in the morning.  Going to try some other tricks.

Good luck, Willard can be tough this time of the year.
Good day for some sun.
Willard is still slow, some nice perch caught. I did some trolling snaged a 8 lb. Carp on the dorsal fin,,, big 15 minute fight. Big schools of shad but small schools of perch. Water temp.47 degrees . Boat ramp still good.

[Image: 20211113-082107.jpg]
(11-14-2021, 12:47 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Willard is still slow, some nice perch caught. I did some trolling  snaged a 8 lb. Carp on the dorsal fin,,, big 15 minute fight.  Big schools of shad but small schools of perch. Water temp.47 degrees .  Boat ramp still good.

So you caught some perch?
Just two fish other boats did a little better. Good early in the day, but stops about10.
It may have been slow but it was still fun 
Just being with Ira and Curt
Got a report from a Willard regular and they did much better on Sat. That's fishing, one day can make a big difference.
Hey Curt sure sounds like fun and wow that one was a toad... One year I'll have to come try the Willard perch or else do a better job with your tactics at Hyrum... Ya know I did pretty well my first trip when I floated with the wind and basically slow trolled from .3 to .5 mph... Then I've been trying to do ice tactics and anchor up and sit on top and jig the fish the last two trips and it hasn't worked at all... Guess I better try the flig troll again since the fish are so scattered this fall... Guess I better buy a new battery so I'll have one for the electric motor so I can troll... I was going to wait for spring and save some battery life, but this is when I can fish so I ought to get the battery for when I have time to use it.. I have about four batteries that have all died on me this fall and they are painful to replace lately... Thanks for the report Curt... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-15-2021, 02:28 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt sure sounds like fun and wow that one was a toad... One  year I'll have to come try the Willard perch or else do a better job with your tactics at Hyrum... Ya know I did pretty well my first trip when I floated with the wind and basically slow trolled from .3 to .5 mph... Then I've been trying to do ice tactics and anchor up and  sit on top and jig the fish the last two trips and it hasn't worked at all... Guess I better try the flig troll again since the fish are so scattered this fall... Guess I better buy a new battery so I'll have one for the electric motor so I can troll... I was going to wait for spring and save some battery life, but this is when I can fish so I ought to get the battery for when I have time to use it.. I have about four batteries that have all died on me this fall and they are painful to replace lately...  Thanks for the report Curt... Later J

Yea battery's aren't cheap, I just bought two today, so I feel your pain. Those perch are in there at Hyrum but sometimes you have to spend some time to find them. I would think that new fish finder should help you find them, if you have it set up on your boat yet.