Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic with Fast Randy 12/28
Randy and I left his place at 5am heading to Arco when we got there we chose Magic over Mackay and headed south on the freshly opened highway. We got to the Eastside of the lake to find the road was only plowed to the top of the boat ramp, with the low water level leaving a half mile walk through over a foot of snow to the lake. So we tried a couple more access points with no better situations. We got briefly stuck near the dam and got pulled out by a bulldozer before returning to the Eastside and making the long trek in. We fished for 3 hour on 5” of ice with 3” of slush and a foot of snow. I caught 5 Randy got 3, the largest was 5lb. The rest where 3-4lbs. The white with red flake Gizzilla topped with meal worm worked best. I had to jig fairly aggressively to get them in and shake my jig to trigger a strike once they appeared always only a single fish at a time. We slogged our way out back up the hill a little sore and a lot tired. We are debating on where to try Thursday, may be down by Preston.
[Image: 8-BB33397-3-FA5-4-F39-B2-CF-CD49-E26-D77-C3.jpg]

[Image: A080-F2-C5-D7-F2-4-E22-A00-B-B6-CB46-BE3-DE9.jpg]

[Image: B1-C1-B009-4-C66-4-FD4-B4-AB-6-BF276-D44819.jpg]

[Image: 47-E5-BDDF-D173-4-E3-C-B706-0-BE8838707-AD.jpg]

[Image: 7252262-F-3370-4-AA6-9848-F4064-E47365-F.jpg]
Sounds like a good day, despite the low water.
Great bows, I bet days like that you wish you had a snowmobile to get down to the ice and back, sounds like a good workout.
Curt, I thought about that a lot. I already have a Two sled trailor. But those fish were worth it. I thought I'd be stiff and sore today but I feel great. I'd go do it again. We were only in 9 to 10 feet of water, so we didn't see any perch.

I did get one two pounder.

[Image: fast-R.jpg]

There wasn't any slush on the ice until you drilled a hole. Then water came pouring up through the hole. I had three inches of water on top of the ice. We were still catching them, I caught my biggest at four pounds right before I told Shawn I was freezing and had to quit. I couldn't get that fish to go back down the hole. It kept wanting to swim around on top of the ice. And when I finally did get it down I was wet to my elbows. And the wind had been picking up. We both had about ten pounds of ice around are ankles that needed a hammer back at the truck to chip off.