Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helix software update
Does anyone have pc cable for a hummingbird so I can update software near Ogden Ut. 
Everyone is sold out
With the Helix units you update the firmware using a micro SD card, not a cable.  At least that's the instructions for my model.
Mine works the same way, by SD card.
(01-18-2022, 04:06 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: Does anyone have pc cable for a hummingbird so I can update software near Ogden Ut. 
Everyone is sold out

should just need a micro sd card
(01-18-2022, 03:47 PM)Waresm Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 04:06 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: Does anyone have pc cable for a hummingbird so I can update software near Ogden Ut. 
Everyone is sold out

should just need a micro sd card
Where do you go on the Helix to see what version you have and if you need an update?  Any help would be appreciated.
This unit is pre SD card model.
I need the cable.

see the note below to check your version.
On the start up screen, press the Menu button for Start Up Options. Using your four way cursor button, scroll down and select System Status using the right cursor. This will pull up a screen showing the Software Version number in the middle of the screen.
(01-18-2022, 07:20 PM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: This unit is pre SD card model.
I need the cable.

On the start up screen, press the Menu button for Start Up Options. Using your four way cursor button, scroll down and select System Status using the right cursor. This will pull up a screen showing the Software Version number in the middle of the screen.

Thank you!  Now I just need to know how to check to see if the version I have is the latest or if I need to download a new one.
(01-18-2022, 07:25 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
I need the cable.

Thank you!  Now I just need to know how to check to see if the version I have is the latest or if I need to download a new one.

I just went to the Humminbird website: www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates/helix-7-chirp-si-gps-g2-version-confirmation   Just type in Software updates in the question box and it leads you through finding your model of finder, how to check your current version, and information on loading the current version if outdated.  Good luck.
(01-19-2022, 12:16 AM)Crimson Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 07:25 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
I need the cable.

I just went to the Humminbird website: www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates/helix-7-chirp-si-gps-g2-version-confirmation   Just type in Software updates in the question box and it leads you through finding your model of finder, how to check your current version, and information on loading the current version if outdated.  Good luck.
I appreciate the help!  Thank you!
Since this thread is about updating your fish finder, does anyone know what the benefits would be in doing an update, would you really gain that much by doing it?
(01-19-2022, 03:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Since this thread is about updating your fish finder, does anyone know what the benefits would be in doing an update, would you really gain that much by doing it?

If you go to the humming bird web  then support  and look up what the latest version is for your finder model or accessory,   check what version yours is, Im sure there is a utube on how to find it,  it does list what some of the fixes are, if you have the APP fish smart from humming bird and blue toothed it, it will show your version,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(01-19-2022, 08:43 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 03:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Since this thread is about updating your fish finder, does anyone know what the benefits would be in doing an update, would you really gain that much by doing it?

If you go to the humming bird web  then support  and look up what the latest version is for your finder model or accessory,   check what version yours is, Im sure there is a utube on how to find it,  it does list what some of the fixes are, if you have the APP fish smart from humming bird and blue toothed it, it will show your version,

Thanks, I never updated updated my Humminbird, just never thought it would be worth it but I guess I should look intio it, to see what the update would accomplished.
Updates can fix minor bugs in the software, add features, and change the built-in lake details they receive from users' inputs.
Here is the info for updating my Humminbird, not sure were I'd get this, any ideas? "Working MMC/SD reader/writer device", my computer does not have one.
:
  • working MMC/SD reader/writer device

• Bug fixes to v_7.510, addressing Tracks, Waypoints and Route (TWR) data corruption in the non-volatile ram memory.  Software now ignores this type of invalid TWR data and will not save nor propogate this type of invalid TWR data. 

Software Prerequisites
You will need:

• attached to your PC and

• a formatted 32GB Class 10 or smaller MMC/SD card
Instructions
[i][b]Please read carefully before proceeding.[/b][/i]
[i]We highly recommend that you [b]RESTORE[/b] the defaults on your unit [b]BEFORE[/b] you perform any software update.[/i]
[i][b]How to Restore Defaults:[/b][/i]
[i]With the unit powered on, Press the MENU button twice to the main menu on the system. Then you press the RIGHT cursor until you get to the SETUP menu tab. Once you have reached the SETUP menu tab, use the DOWN cursor until you reach RESTORE DEFAULTS, you will then press the RIGHT cursor key to restore the defaults. To confirm press RIGHT cursor again.[/i]
[i][b]To update with an SD CARD[/b][/i]
[i]1.  After thoroughly reading these instructions, you can return to the Download dialogue box and click on Download. The software files are in a .bin format. You will not be able to open these files, they should only be saved.[/i]
[i]2. You will need to select to save this file to the SD Card. (The SD card may be listed as a removable disk, removable storage drive, SD). Do not modify the name of the file, then click on SAVE.[/i]
[i]3. After the Download Complete dialog box appears - click CLOSE[/i]
[i]4. Remove the SD Card from the card reader. After removing the SD card from the reader and before powering on the unit, we recommend that you disconnect any Advanced Accessories connected to the unit. This might include a GPS receiver, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc. [/i]Also remove any SD or micro cards already inserted on your unit.
[i]5. [b]POWER ON YOUR UNIT[/b], allow the unit to go through the complete start up [b]BEFORE[/b] pressing any buttons or selecting any menu options.Afterthe unit has completed the loading process and you have clicked through the warnings and information, place the SD card in the unit.[/i]
[i]6. You will get a message on the unit saying [b]SOFTWARE NUMBER[/b] “123” is higher than your current “120” software do you want to update?, Press the Right Cursor to Confirm.[/i]
[i]7. Another message will then appear saying do you want to ABORT, press the Left Cursor to [b]NO[/b] at this time and the software update will begin. [b]DO NOT POWER OFF THE UNIT DURING THIS TIME.[/b] If you lose power to the unit during the software upgrade process, it is very likely that the unit will need to be returned to the factory for updating.[/i]
[i]Once the update is complete the unit will restart and say current [b]SOFTWARE NUMBER[/b] “123” installed, no update required. It is now safe to remove the SD Card, and power off the unit. [/i][i] [/i]
[i]Here is a short video on this subject[/i]
(01-20-2022, 03:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is the info for updating my Humminbird, not sure were I'd get this, any ideas? "Working MMC/SD reader/writer device", my computer does not have one.
:

• Bug fixes to v_7.510, addressing Tracks, Waypoints and Route (TWR) data corruption in the non-volatile ram memory.  Software now ignores this type of invalid TWR data and will not save nor propogate this type of invalid TWR data. 

Software Prerequisites
You will need:

• attached to your PC and

• a formatted 32GB Class 10 or smaller MMC/SD card
Instructions
[i][b]Please read carefully before proceeding.[/b][/i]
[i]We highly recommend that you [b]RESTORE[/b] the defaults on your unit [b]BEFORE[/b] you perform any software update.[/i]
[i][b]How to Restore Defaults:[/b][/i]
[i]With the unit powered on, Press the MENU button twice to the main menu on the system. Then you press the RIGHT cursor until you get to the SETUP menu tab. Once you have reached the SETUP menu tab, use the DOWN cursor until you reach RESTORE DEFAULTS, you will then press the RIGHT cursor key to restore the defaults. To confirm press RIGHT cursor again.[/i]
[i][b]To update with an SD CARD[/b][/i]
[i]1.  After thoroughly reading these instructions, you can return to the Download dialogue box and click on Download. The software files are in a .bin format. You will not be able to open these files, they should only be saved.[/i]
[i]2. You will need to select to save this file to the SD Card. (The SD card may be listed as a removable disk, removable storage drive, SD). Do not modify the name of the file, then click on SAVE.[/i]
[i]3. After the Download Complete dialog box appears - click CLOSE[/i]
[i]4. Remove the SD Card from the card reader. After removing the SD card from the reader and before powering on the unit, we recommend that you disconnect any Advanced Accessories connected to the unit. This might include a GPS receiver, Interlink, Cannonlink, etc. [/i]Also remove any SD or micro cards already inserted on your unit.
[i]5. [b]POWER ON YOUR UNIT[/b], allow the unit to go through the complete start up [b]BEFORE[/b] pressing any buttons or selecting any menu options.Afterthe unit has completed the loading process and you have clicked through the warnings and information, place the SD card in the unit.[/i]
[i]6. You will get a message on the unit saying [b]SOFTWARE NUMBER[/b] “123” is higher than your current “120” software do you want to update?, Press the Right Cursor to Confirm.[/i]
[i]7. Another message will then appear saying do you want to ABORT, press the Left Cursor to [b]NO[/b] at this time and the software update will begin. [b]DO NOT POWER OFF THE UNIT DURING THIS TIME.[/b] If you lose power to the unit during the software upgrade process, it is very likely that the unit will need to be returned to the factory for updating.[/i]
[i]Once the update is complete the unit will restart and say current [b]SOFTWARE NUMBER[/b] “123” installed, no update required. It is now safe to remove the SD Card, and power off the unit. [/i][i] [/i]
[i]Here is a short video on this subject[/i]

amazon under 20$

[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards[/font]
[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif][i]4.7 out of 5 stars[/i] 31,248[/font]
[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]$16.99$16.99 [/font]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks MSM, I bought that and a 32 GB SD card, now I just need to register my Humminbird.