Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Goals
In addition to the ice challenge, I have a few other goals for the 2021/2022 ice fishing season.  They are as follows, with current "standings" in parentheses:

1)  Fish through the ice in October (completed, fished Moosehorn on 10/30/2021)

2)  Catch 5 species longer than 20 inches (currently at 1 - cutthroat trout)

3)  Catch 400 fish through the ice (currently at 301, with breakdown as follows:  rainbow trout-83; tiger trout-58; brook trout-2; white bass-93; cutthroat trout-26; yellow perch-31; bluegill-2; largemouth bass-6)

What are your goals this ice season?

jack of all tackle, master of none
My goal is to get out there. Can't believe its Jan and I have not drilled a hole yet. 

What is up with my priorities these days- Pat may spank me next time we meet
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
My #1 goal last year was a channel cats through the ice, it took alot of trips but I got her!
This year.... pull a smallmouth up through the hole..
I only have one goal; go ice fishing as often as I can.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-21-2022, 03:36 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: My #1 goal last year was a channel cats through the ice, it took alot of trips but I got her!

If the water levels were higher, I could show you where to ice a smallmouth on Rockport. A fellow BFT member and I got into some nice smallies 2 winters ago on Rockport. 
Gabe
(01-21-2022, 03:28 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: My goal is to get out there. Can't believe its Jan and I have not drilled a hole yet. 

What is up with my priorities these days- Pat may spank me next time we meet

Nah.  I ain't into that kinky stuff.  I'll leave the spanking part to Cookie.  Although I might lend her my custom paddle with all the holes drilled in it.  You can drill another one and then you can take "hole drilling" off your bucket list.
(01-21-2022, 04:09 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 03:36 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: My #1 goal last year was a channel cats through the ice, it took alot of trips but I got her!

If the water levels were higher, I could show you where to ice a smallmouth on Rockport. A fellow BFT member and I got into some nice smallies 2 winters ago on Rockport. 
Gabe

Now that grantsville is frozen im going to have that lake looking like Swiss cheese looking for a smallie!
To stay on the top side of the ice and not go for a swim.
The rest is just icing on the cake.
(01-21-2022, 04:57 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 04:09 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Gabe

Now that grantsville is frozen im going to have that lake looking like Swiss cheese looking for a smallie!

Think deep water like 30 to 50 ft. If you have perch meat, tip it on a small gold castmaster.  Rip the spoon off bottom repeatedily until you see something show up on sonar. Then slow the cadence. The bite is usually an aggresive strike. Good luck.
Gabe
Laker through the Ice.
Cat through the Ice.
My goals right now are to make it to as many lake as I can before the seasons is over. On my list are: Strawberry, Flaming Gorge, Fish Lake and Pelican. So many places to fish. So little time...
I like Ron's idea, with maybe a little Idaho twist... Since I got the idaho season this year I think I'll try a little north of the border stuff this winter... Never ice fished American Falls or Blackfoot, so I'd like to try that this winter... If I can find some intel on where to start... I expect I'll run out of ice before I get half what I want to try looked into... That's the fun part of ice fishing always more to do than there is time to do... Especially if I still get a gorge trip and Strawberry into the mix... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
400 fish? Nice one.  I already completed first burbot and first ice camping. Now to make up for the large laker I lost at the hole last year at Fish lake.
Nice to see what are your goals are and it has given me food for thought on some items for next year.  I wanted to circle back with an update. 

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Current "standings" in parentheses:[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]1)  Fish through the ice in October (completed, fished Moosehorn on 10/30/2021)[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]2)  Catch 5 species longer than 20 inches (currently at 3 - cutthroat trout, lake trout, burbot)[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]3)  Catch 400 fish through the ice (currently at 411, with breakdown as follows:  rainbow trout-84; tiger trout-58; brook trout-2; white bass-139; cutthroat trout-39; yellow perch-64; bluegill-2; largemouth bass-11; burbot-4; lake trout-3; black crappie-5).  Don't think I'll get to 500 with a month or so left, but who knows?[/font]

Looks like I need some 20+ inch fish somewhere, time to look for quality vs quantity...

jack of all tackle, master of none