Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing question for friend
Hi everyone,

I have a question for you all from a friend of mine on another forum. She saw my fish picture and said that she heard that “if you catch and release fish, they can get an infection and die anyway.” She also said she heard that the skin of fish “can get skin conditions.”

I told her I would do some research on this because I wasn’t sure if it was true myself. So I came here to ask you guys.

Is what she said and heard about infections and skin true? Can someone help me out?

Jared
(01-24-2022, 07:46 PM)Jnicholes Wrote: Hi everyone,

I have a question for you all from a friend of mine on another forum. She saw my fish picture and said that she heard that “if you catch and release fish, they can get an infection and die anyway.” She also said she heard that the skin of fish “can get skin conditions.”

I told her I would do some research on this because I wasn’t sure if it was true myself. So I came here to ask you guys.

Is what she said and heard about infections and skin true? Can someone help me out?

Jared

While it is true that trout can get skin infection or sores, it is usually not caused by by someone catching and releasing them. If handled properly most fish will not die after they are released, trout and salmon can be easier to kill if not handled and released properly. For trout it is best if you wet your hands before touching them, so you don't remove any of their protective slim coating but in most cases they will do fine even if you don't wet you hand, getting them back in the water as quick as possible is the best approach and never touch their gills, if at all possible.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I’ll relay this information to my friend.

Jared