Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat Contest Interest Check
Lil Italian daughter ought to be safely back home end of May, so Cookie and I ought to be able to rejoin the fray
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks Lance will be great to have you two along for the fest... Team north definitely needs you guys... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Can someone tell me how this contest works please?  I only go catfishing a couple of times a year, but would like to learn more about it.  Thanks!
Sure, if the mod was doing his job, he would have had some rules for you read... Sorry I've been on a work trip so I haven't had time. Basically all you have to do is contact us in this post and tell us which team you want to be on. North (Bear River, Willard Bay) or South (Jordon River, Utah Lake) we divide the state around Layton, but it's more by where you fish.. Anyway then you need to print up a label to put in your catfish pictures so we know the fish was part of this contest. You will create a post on the Utah Contest board where your will post your pictures and tell us the date the fish was caught, body of water and the length you measured it at... A mod will score it and see if we can see the same length, then we will track the results. You can bump smaller fish with bigger ones and we will keep your score off your largest 3 fish... There's a lot of how to rules but that is the crux of the contest... We do team scores as well as individual scores... This is so we can rib each other over which team is best... kind of makes it so you can help your team even if you don't have big enough stuff to run with the big cats being caught... It's been a lot of fun, so hope you enjoy it... We don't charge a fee and if we can find sponsors we give away their gifts as prizes... Hope that helps.. Jeff
I am late, but I am game. I think I will remain in the state this year.

How about South this time?
Do we need to approve bump.boards like previous years
Jeff, Put me in on North Team again.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Jeff i need to put my kids on here catslayer, shortstop, tyfighter, are all youth.

Djiluvfish turns 18 March 23 so I believe he's an adult

And my wife Moosiemom4

All team south with me if I can get a truck and boat that works at the same time
Mooseman I will usually have room for a couple of you if you want to join me but I hope you get everything together 'cause doing it on your own with your family is the best.

I tried to count up how many people have signed up so far and it seems to be right at 25. That's a good start but we had over 100 a couple of years ago.

Jeff, I forgot to sign LucyRaeofSunshine up before. We'll both be on Team South. And I'll get a couple more to join BFT and sign up for the contest.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sorry guys I was out of town on work last week, and then busy over the weekend.. Fritz on the bump boards yes, please post a picture with a tape measure next to it so we can verify it's accurate. We have issues with the printed scales and sliding two part bump boards that don't measure accurately sometimes... If you use the one piece commercial rulers they are acceptable as well. We need to get our score sheet going so I have an accurate list of all participants, but I haven't had time to get it done yet. Looks like tomorrow is day one so I better get busy...

One thing to keep in mind this is open enrollment, so we usually never see high numbers until May to June, just the diehards hit the early enrollment list... So make sure that all know they can sign up at any time... However, we do ask that you sign up before you catch the 36"er and then try to enter it after... It doesn't cost anything to sign up so just as well do it whether you plan on going all out or just want to be registered in case you catch that fish of a lifetime... Then print up the label and carry it in your gear for when you need it... Good luck everyone... Later Jeff
I just created an account so I can be part of this.  Put me down for Team North.  I had a great ice fishing season but I think I'm calling it done for the year.... ready to focus on catfish 100%.  I've been casual about them in the past but I want to get serious about them this year.  I'm hoping to find some good spots along the Bear River.
Put me down for the 2022 season.

Please put BroJos in the Youth group.

Hopefully we will have a better showing than last year.
Thanks guys, we'll get you all on the list... Gill209 great to have you sign up for BFT as well.. Hope you have a great year on the cat waters... You fishing the Box Elder or Cache part of the Bear? Welcome to the best team.... (Watch what happens when I make that statement.) Anyway it should be a fun time, thanks for taking part of it... Later Jeff
I’d like to give it a go. Team south here
Welcome to the contest Average at Best, hope you enjoy your time out catching cats... Oh and by the way for everyone, bang the starter gun has just gone off the 2022 Cat Contest is officially underway.... don't catch too many fish for a couple days so I can get organized... But good luck everyone... Later J
(03-14-2022, 08:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks guys, we'll get you all on the list... Gill209 great to have you sign up for BFT as well.. Hope you have a great year on the cat waters... You fishing the Box Elder or Cache part of the Bear?  Welcome to the best team.... (Watch what happens when I make that statement.)  Anyway it should be a fun time, thanks for taking part of it... Later Jeff

Box Elder.  As a starting point, I plan to go check out the refuge this weekend.   I've never fished out there.  Only visited once years ago.  It looks like there are several access points.  Is it possible to walk-in and get away from the crowd?  Unfortunately, I'm on foot.  No boat.  Don't mind walking though.  

Thanks for the welcome!
There are several north team members that fish that area and hopefully will be willing to help you out on access locations... Sorry I haven't fished there, so i'm not much help... But Forest, John or Paul should be able to help you out... I'll pass that on to them... Good luck... Jeff
Sign me up.  We'll see how it goes this year.
Just to help out, BlueGill, Forest is Tin-Can, John is Ahi53, and Paul is Jig-fisher, three of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Jeff, it looks like I made it back on site.

Mrs. J and I, Mr. J will sign up for the south.

rj