Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tigers at Rire
I went back to Rire his morning. I tried to find the kokes for the first two hours, to no avail. So I went over by the rocks and went after trout. I got a rainbow at 10:00, and then started catching Tiger trout, I think. It is my first Tigers. I got 4 of them then another rainbow.

(03-02-2022, 08:41 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I went back to Rire his morning. I tried to find the kokes for the first two hours, to no avail. So I went over by the rocks and went after trout. I got a rainbow at 10:00, and then started catching Tiger trout, I think. It is my first Tigers. I got 4 of them then another rainbow.

[Image: 20220302-125225.jpg]

[Image: 20220302-101753.jpg]

[Image: 20220302-125216.jpg]

Rire is amazing. It has the so many different varieties of fish. I don't know any place that has the variety that that reservoir does.
Sounds like you did good Randy, looks like you got the picture posting figured out too. How was the temps there today? It sure is warming up down here. Nice tigers too.
It was 36 at 6:30 when I started. I left around noon, and it was shirt sleeve temps.
Not sure if tiger trout taste any different than other trout but it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how they taste. Those are for sure tiger trout. Good looking dog you have there Randy.
Nice, we got a lake trout out of there last year. How is the ice holding up?
Wow, I had no idea that there were tiger trout in Ririe let alone I have never even heard of the things. No idea that lakers were in Ririe either. Has anyone else ever caught a lake trout? Did F&G plant the lake trout? Arent lake trout just as damaging or could be just as damaging as walleye? Just curious because if they are and they are in Ririe and planted by F&G, it doesnt make any sense to concentrate on eliminating walleye when lake trout do the same damage. I dont know enough about lake trout to say one way or another. Anyone on here know whats going on with the lake trout?
They planted both the tigers and Lakers in there last year. Not sure why, hopefully there's a reason for it and hopefully they don't do too much damage to the lake.
Nice work Randy. I looked up the stocking records of Ririe they have been stocking Tigers since 2019, but this is the first time I have heard about them. Ririe is a fun fishery with a lot of diversity in it. 

https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishingPlan...7154435340
Here is what I could find about them stocking lake trout in Ririe, looks like they did it once.

Ririe Reservoir 
Tributary of Willow Creek
Bonneville
Lake Trout
Less than 6 inches
04/15/2016
(03-03-2022, 03:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is what I could find about them stocking lake trout in Ririe, looks like they did it once.

Ririe Reservoir 
Tributary of Willow Creek
Bonneville
Lake Trout
Less than 6 inches
04/15/2016
I hope they get big that would be something else fun to chase in there. In the link I posted it says they stocked 369 larger than 6" in 2020 as well.
That sounds right, a couple guys I talked to last year about this time had caught a few tigers and we caught the laker.
(03-03-2022, 01:41 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Wow, I had no idea that there were tiger trout in Ririe let alone I have never even heard of the things.  No idea that lakers were in Ririe either.  Has anyone else ever caught a lake trout? Did F&G plant the lake trout?  Arent lake trout just as damaging or could be just as damaging as walleye? Just curious because if they are and they are in Ririe and planted by F&G, it doesnt make any sense to concentrate on eliminating walleye when lake trout do the same damage.  I dont know enough about lake trout to say one way or another. Anyone on here know whats going on with the lake trout?

I have never heard that lake trout can be as damaging as walleye but it is possibly. It could be that walleye do better at reproducing and that is why they cause more damage but that likely depends on the body of water they are in. I know in utah the time it took the walleye to over populate in lakes like Starvation was pretty quick but it took many many year for the lake trout to over populate in Flaming Gorge.
Lake trout have taken over up at payette lake in McCall, so they're trying to get rid of some of them and flathead lake in Montana also, but I believe they've been in those waters for a lot of years and reproduce, the ones planted in ririe are triploids so they shouldn't reproduce, just get bigger and more fun to catch.
(03-03-2022, 11:02 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Lake trout have taken over up at payette lake in McCall, so they're trying to get rid of some of them and flathead lake in Montana also, but I believe they've been in those waters for a lot of years and reproduce, the ones planted in ririe are triploids so they shouldn't reproduce, just get bigger and more fun to catch.

I was wondering if they might be triploids, that will make all the difference with any concerns about them causing any damage but it will make for some great catching as they grow bigger.
Nice job Randy, another species to go after there
I'm surprised more tigers haven't been caught there, looks like they've put quite a few in there in the last 5 years.
Thanks for the info on the lakers. It stilll confuses me like said here that they are trying to remove them from Payette lake due to impacts there yet they put them in Ririe. Sterile or not, nature does funny things with animals Smile lol. It would be fun to catch on big one some day though, even better, start catching a few eyes Smile
(03-04-2022, 12:41 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Thanks for the info on the lakers.  It stilll confuses me like said here that they are trying to remove them from Payette lake due to impacts there yet they put them in Ririe. Sterile or not, nature does funny things with animals Smile lol. It would be fun to catch on big one some day though, even better, start catching a few eyes Smile

Not sure if the lakers in Payette were sterile but the fish and game in a lot of states experiment by putting different fish in a lot of lakes, just to see how they do. If the anglers that fish those lakes like the change, the fish and game could stock more of those fish. On the other hand the fish and game could stock predator fish in certain lakes in hopes of controlling a population of rough fish. By using sterile fish they have a better chance to get the desired outcome and if it doesn't work out, all they have to do in not stock them any longer and the remaining fish with either be caught or just die over time. They have been doing that in Utah for a long time.