Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson lake info.
Planing a June trip to Jackson lake and I'm hoping to do two days of fishing. Can anyone give me details on catching your fish.?  
I'm looking for lake trout and salmon . I hear you have some king salmon.  I have never caught one, so I'm looking forward to the chance. 
Please feel free to send me a private message. 
Thanks 
Doitall5000
Try sending this member an email and see if he can help, he use to be a moderator on the Wyo board years ago but has not posted in many years, his username was jacksonlaker:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/member.p...&uid=10368
(03-07-2022, 01:35 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Try sending this member an email and see if he can help, he use to be a moderator on the Wyo board years ago but has not posted in many years, his username was jacksonlaker:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/member.p...&uid=10368

Thank you I'll send him an email
Got no reply from him...
(03-10-2022, 01:33 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Got no reply from him...

The last time he posted on BFT was in 2017, so who knows if that email address is still active, a least you gave it a try.
(03-06-2022, 07:53 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Planing a June trip to Jackson lake and I'm hoping to do two days of fishing. Can anyone give me details on catching your fish.?  
I'm looking for lake trout and salmon . I hear you have some king salmon.  I have never caught one, so I'm looking forward to the chance. 
Please feel free to send me a private message. 
Thanks 
Doitall5000

I've been going there for years and have only caught a nice cutt and a couple suckers from the shore. We did a chartered fishing service once and caught some lakers but the guide did all of the work so I don't really count it.

I've tried everything from the shore. I even got out into the middle with the paddle board and had no luck. We go back in a couple weeks so I'd love to get some advice if anybody has any...
(07-12-2022, 08:31 PM)notoftenenough Wrote: I've been going there for years and have only caught a nice cutt and a couple suckers from the shore. We did a chartered fishing service once and caught some lakers but the guide did all of the work so I don't really count it.

I've tried everything from the shore. I even got out into the middle with the paddle board and had no luck. We go back in a couple weeks so I'd love to get some advice if anybody has any...

Welcome to the site and thanks for the info on Jackson lake. How did you find out about this site?
(07-13-2022, 01:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 08:31 PM)notoftenenough Wrote: I've been going there for years and have only caught a nice cutt and a couple suckers from the shore. We did a chartered fishing service once and caught some lakers but the guide did all of the work so I don't really count it.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the info on Jackson lake. How did you find out about this site?

I signed up probably 10 years ago for info on Jackson lake, talked to the one guy that had info (Jacksonlaker) and check back in occasionally. I don’t remember my original username.
(07-13-2022, 01:18 AM)notoftenenough Wrote:

I signed up probably 10 years ago for info on Jackson lake, talked to the one guy that had info (Jacksonlaker) and check back in occasionally. I don’t remember my original username.

Welcome back, it's too bad our Wyo board just dried up on people posting on it but we welcome all that care to share any reports or like you, offer to help others with info.
(07-13-2022, 01:44 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Welcome back, it's too bad our Wyo board just dried up on people posting on it but we welcome all that care to share any reports or like you, offer to help others with info.

I can update this thread, not that anyone will read it lol

My trip last July I caught two lakers trolling (by paddle) from my inflatable kayak. It was cool. Going again next week and this time I built a rig for an electric trolling motor for the same kayak. I'm hoping to use that so I'm not so exhausted and can maintain good speed. 

Last but not least I caught one of them on a typical kokanee rig- a big dodger and a pink squid with worm. The other was a big, white tube jig with worm.
(07-19-2023, 10:27 PM)notoftenenough Wrote:

My trip last July I caught two lakers trolling (by paddle) from my inflatable kayak. It was cool. Going again next week and this time I built a rig for an electric trolling motor for the same kayak. I'm hoping to use that so I'm not so exhausted and can maintain good speed. 

Last but not least I caught one of them on a typical kokanee rig- a big dodger and a pink squid with worm. The other was a big, white tube jig with worm.

Any size to the two that you caught?
(07-19-2023, 10:27 PM)notoftenenough Wrote: I can update this thread, not that anyone will read it lol

Good idea on the putting the trolling motor on your kayak. Please let us know how you do?
(07-20-2023, 12:54 AM)Kent Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 10:27 PM)notoftenenough Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 01:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site and thanks for the info on Jackson lake. How did you find out about this site?

Any size to the two that you caught?

(07-20-2023, 01:13 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 10:27 PM)notoftenenough Wrote: I can update this thread, not that anyone will read it lol

Good idea on the putting the trolling motor on your kayak. Please let us know how you do?

I spent probably 10-12 hours fishing over the course of 5 days and caught 11 lakers and 1 whitefish. The lakers were all in the 17-22" range so not big but still worth catching. Trolling from the kayak with the trolling motor was cool but stressful, especially with 2 lines out at the same time. I dealt with a number of snags, got the line in the trolling motor 2x, dropped my net and watched it sink and had one of my sons on the tiny kayak with me for part of the time. Long story short I could've caught a lot more fish on a "real" boat, especially with good help.

I had the most luck with a dodger w/pink squid but also caught some on pop gear w/pink squid and a dodger w/big spoon. I had zero bites on a big rapala that I was hoping would get bigger fish. I used 2 oz weights to get the riggings down around 30' according to watching my depth finder and paying attention to when I was bouncing on the bottom. I caught fish in 40-60' of water mostly following the bank but also out in the middle of the lake where it was more than 160' deep :eek: so it appears the size of fish I kept catching was based on the thermocline. I'd really like to get a better boat on that lake with downriggers and try for bigger fish, much deeper. I also regret not being able to anchor or use a drift sock and vertical jig off the bottom. Next year, perhaps!
Nice going, with the limitations you had, it sounds like you did good to me. Thanks for the report. How do you think you would have handled a really big laker?
(08-01-2023, 11:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice going, with the limitations you had, it sounds like you did good to me. Thanks for the report. How do you think you would have handled a really big laker?

Honestly it would’ve been interesting fishing on 5’, light-duty poles with 6 or 8# test but I was still open to it haha

It’s crazy on a little kayak how much it turns the boat when I reel in a fish. I basically had to kill the motor, let the other line sink or have my son reel it in while I reeled in the fish. It was a production
(08-01-2023, 11:30 PM)notoftenenough Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 11:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice going, with the limitations you had, it sounds like you did good to me. Thanks for the report. How do you think you would have handled a really big laker?

Honestly it would’ve been interesting fishing on 5’, light-duty poles with 6 or 8# test but I was still open to it haha

It’s crazy on a little kayak how much it turns the boat when I reel in a fish. I basically had to kill the motor, let the other line sink or have my son reel it in while I reeled in the fish. It was a production

You have enough room on your kayak for you and your son?  One thing that others have done is to put one of those pool noodles on the handle of your net, to keep it floating so you can retrieve it before it sinks.