Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe Ice anywhere?
My Son in law wants to try ice fishing again this coming weekend.  He has only been a couple of times, and I am trying to find out where there might be some safe ice for me to take him.  Does anyone know if East Canyon, Lost Creek, or Mantua has safe ice?
I've been trying to keep track of the safe ice all season on my Safe ice digest up at the top. I haven't heard about any waters except Utah Lake and Willard that have lost ice but I don't hear everything. I think all of the higher lakes are still good. Plus, the colder weather through this week should keep everything solid, I would think. You'll probably have some people who have a better handle on those you mentioned reply. Good luck wherever you go.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-07-2022, 09:26 PM)catchinon Wrote: I've been trying to keep track of the safe ice all season on my Safe ice digest up at the top. I haven't heard about any waters except Utah Lake and Willard that have lost ice but I don't hear everything. I think all of the higher lakes are still good. Plus, the colder weather through this week should keep everything solid, I would think. You'll probably have some people who have a better handle on those you mentioned reply. Good luck wherever you go.

Thank you Sir!  I appreciate the info.  I just want to get my son-in-law onto some fish.  He has only gone a couple of times and has not done well, so hopefully I can get him onto some!
There have been several recent reports that the fish have been biting well at Strawberry. However, some have noted that the bite is very soft so it would be better to equip your newies with flexible rods or even spring bobbers to help them see the light bites. That's where I'm going Saturday and maybe a couple of days through the week. I'll let you know how it was if I get out earlier than Saturday.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-07-2022, 09:58 PM)catchinon Wrote: There have been several recent reports that the fish have been biting well at Strawberry. However, some have noted that the bite is very soft so it would be better to equip your newies with flexible rods or even spring bobbers to help them see the light bites. That's where I'm going Saturday and maybe a couple of days through the week. I'll let you know how it was if I get out earlier than Saturday.

I appreciate your help Sir!  Good luck up there!
(03-07-2022, 06:30 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: My Son in law wants to try ice fishing again this coming weekend.  He has only been a couple of times, and I am trying to find out where there might be some safe ice for me to take him.  Does anyone know if East Canyon, Lost Creek, or Mantua has safe ice?
The ICE is still safe - the EDGES are becoming open water at a very fast rate.  Long planks (10 to 12 foot) and/or chest waders your best bet.  Machine access is not safely possible any longer on all but Strawberry.  We launched at the Strawberry Bay Marina today at 10:30 AM.  Air temp was -2*F.  That's right - MINUIS TWO.  Ice is well over 2 feet thick at the berry right now and the edges are 100% solid.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-08-2022, 03:12 AM)dubob Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 06:30 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: My Son in law wants to try ice fishing again this coming weekend.  He has only been a couple of times, and I am trying to find out where there might be some safe ice for me to take him.  Does anyone know if East Canyon, Lost Creek, or Mantua has safe ice?
The ICE is still safe - the EDGES are becoming open water at a very fast rate.  Long planks (10 to 12 foot) and/or chest waders your best bet.  Machine access is not safely possible any longer on all but Strawberry.  We launched at the Strawberry Bay Marina today at 10:30 AM.  Air temp was -2*F.  That's right - MINUIS TWO.  Ice is well over 2 feet thick at the berry right now and the edges are 100% solid.

Dubob, thank you for the information!  How did you do yesterday at Strawberry?  Where did you fish?
Fished Strawberry Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday. No slush and edges were firm. I was on a sled but saw wheelers out driving around. This new snow may slow them down. Fishing was good. The bite is lite except when it’s not. My son-in-law almost lost a pole down the hole. Hilarious watching him dive for it. We were in the narrows in 24 fow off a point. A week ago my nephew was at Strawberry and his snowmobile broke so he fished near the marina. Didn’t mark a fish or catch a fish. Location matters.
(03-08-2022, 05:51 PM)Troutster Wrote: Fished Strawberry Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday. No slush and edges were firm. I was on a sled but saw wheelers out driving around. This new snow may slow them down. Fishing was good. The bite is lite except when it’s not. My son-in-law almost lost a pole down the hole. Hilarious watching him dive for it.  We were in the narrows in 24 fow off a point. A week ago my nephew was at Strawberry and his snowmobile broke so he fished near the marina. Didn’t mark a fish or catch a fish. Location matters.

Thanks for the info Troutster!  I appreciate it!
(03-08-2022, 03:54 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Dubob, thank you for the information!  How did you do yesterday at Strawberry?  Where did you fish?
My buddy caught 4; I didn't catch any.  Due to a comedy of errors too long to describe here, we fished just outside the marina area in 62 FOW.  All fish came off the bottom.  We didn't see any suspended fish at all.  Here is the area we fished.  Click on the image to enlarge it.

[Image: SBM.png]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-09-2022, 04:41 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 03:54 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Dubob, thank you for the information!  How did you do yesterday at Strawberry?  Where did you fish?
My buddy caught 4; I didn't catch any.  Due to a comedy of errors too long to describe here, we fished just outside the marina area in 62 FOW.  All fish came off the bottom.  We didn't see any suspended fish at all.  Here is the area we fished.  Click on the image to enlarge it.

[Image: SBM.png]
@dubob, that you for the information!  I appreciate your help Sir.  I think we will give it a shot either Saturday or Sunday up there.  I do not have a snowmobile, or snowdog, but I have a 4 wheeler.  I just hope there isn't too much snow on the ice so that my 4 wheeler doesn't work well.
Ice is totally fine at Bear Lake. No soft edges and 14-16" thick. Be cautious around the pressure ridges.
Scott beat me to the punch there, I'll confirm his Bear Lake info, good ice however, it did snow 6-8" and has made that mile walk more difficult to get out onto the rock pile... If I would have known how thick the ice was i would have taken my machine to get out there... I have also noticed on places like Cutler the ice is going to sugar and will totally collapse when you step on it now in places... Luckily my other foot was still on good ice so I didn't go for a swim... but it's be very careful time of year again, take the spud bar with you and use it... also be aware that conditions are very spotty so it's not a check once and your good time of year now.. (Unless you are on Strawberry or Bear Lake, then it's a little more consistent ice, except for methane vents and springs) With the warm temps predicted, I expect the lower elevation ice is near an end in the next week or so... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!