Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard today with The Slayer
(03-17-2022, 12:42 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 11:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Can't remember ever hearing of a walleye breaking line...or a rod...on the strike or during the battle.

Pat,
I have broken off three massive walleyes on Deer Creek while fishing in the float tube. Two on the same outing in the Walsburg arm, the third being close to the buoys on the highway side. I know they were eyes by the head shakes they gave me. The two on the same trip were pre spawn time, the other was post spawn. 
Gabe
Yeah, well I can't be responsible for rookies who use poor line, tie bad knots or just don't know how to handle big fish.  (Snicker snicker).  Fish don't break lines...fishermen do. 

I don't doubt your tales of woe and I am not accusing you of mishandling them.  And I have had some "long distance releases" on big wallies too.  The point I was trying to make is that for the most part, walleyes are a lot less rambunctious and easier to bring in than wipers.  Even a two pound wiper will strip line off your drag and fight right up until you put them in the net.  And I have seen more than a few break stout line or break rods on their strikes.
Me and the wife hit Willard North Tuesday. Fishing was slow but the wife picked up a kitty. I missed a few soft bites.
[Image: 0315221556b-HDR.jpg]
(03-17-2022, 06:53 PM)Lipnrip Wrote: Me and the wife hit Willard North Tuesday. Fishing was slow but the wife picked up a kitty. I missed a few soft bites.

We saw you fishing there in Pelican beach area, glad to read you guys had some success.
Great report guys. Looks like the perch are getting ready to spawn. 

I need to find a place they hang out I have not caught one yet. 

As far as the wipers go I found plenty last year but for short periods of time. Like always you're either on them or you're not and with less in there they are hard to stay with them. I caught plenty trolling for the walleye but they were spotty and would only catch a few before they were gone.

I have really like catching more walleye though. No they don't fight at all after hooked but they are the best table fair to me and my family. We will take them anytime over wipers.

I wish we would catch less catfish. We do not eat them and this is not putting them down we just don't prefer them over walleye and wiper and it seems we catch more of them then any other fish when we are out there. There population has exploded. 

Looking forward to getting out there. These reports really giving me the itch. 

fnf Cool
(03-16-2022, 06:11 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 04:41 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Thanks so much TD!  How many of these PDF files do you have??  I am printing them off and storing them in a 3 ring binder.  Also, you sell your fligs that you make?

Got quite a few things I have put together to help others over the past few years.  Attached is a partial list I put together a couple of years ago.  Have added a few to it since. 

Yes, I do sell some of the fligs I make.  I work cheap and I'm worth it.  You can buy commercially made floating jig heads in a lot of places.  But my stuff includes a lot of sizes, shapes and colors not available elsewhere...and are mostly designed for the type of fishing I do...in Utah.  You would be welcome to visit my "tackletorium" sometime and look over some of the options.
[Image: 2-B.jpg]
TD, thank you for your information.  I would be very interested in getting more of your PDFs on Willard Bay.  I wish you had some on Lost Creek, East Canyon or Strawberry as those are the bodies of water that I fish most.  Also, do you have a store or an online site to purchase your lures?  Just trying to see what you have and how to purchase them.  Is it possible to have you email me your files on Willard?  Let me know please and I can send you my email address.  Thank you Sir!  ~MJ
(03-18-2022, 04:14 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 06:11 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 04:41 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Thanks so much TD!  How many of these PDF files do you have??  I am printing them off and storing them in a 3 ring binder.  Also, you sell your fligs that you make?

Got quite a few things I have put together to help others over the past few years.  Attached is a partial list I put together a couple of years ago.  Have added a few to it since. 

Yes, I do sell some of the fligs I make.  I work cheap and I'm worth it.  You can buy commercially made floating jig heads in a lot of places.  But my stuff includes a lot of sizes, shapes and colors not available elsewhere...and are mostly designed for the type of fishing I do...in Utah.  You would be welcome to visit my "tackletorium" sometime and look over some of the options.
[Image: 2-B.jpg]
TD, thank you for your information.  I would be very interested in getting more of your PDFs on Willard Bay.  I wish you had some on Lost Creek, East Canyon or Strawberry as those are the bodies of water that I fish most.  Also, do you have a store or an online site to purchase your lures?  Just trying to see what you have and how to purchase them.  Is it possible to have you email me your files on Willard?  Let me know please and I can send you my email address.  Thank you Sir!  ~MJ
PM sent.