Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake ice conditions and fishing update 3/14/22
Star 
The ice has been very stable and is currently doing really well.  About 16+ on most of the lake.  Several inches of snow on top of the ice.  No melting on the edges either.  Fishing has been better than the last few weeks since the cutts and lakers have started feeding again and I've seen some really nice fish caught this last week.  Jigging tubes tipped with cisco is working well, but it seems the herring scent on the tubes is also working good too.  Still seeing some whitefish caught on the rockpile in about 40' using Swedish Pimples and Kastmasters.  Plenty of machines on the ice too.  Just be cautious around the pressure ridges, but most of those have refroze from a few weeks ago when the ridges were prevalent.  Don't put your ice gear away yet.  Come on up and get some sun-rays and fish in a sweatshirt!   
Finally, don't forget about the upcoming "State of Bear Lake" meeting on 3/31 at 6pm at the Garden City offices.  Both UDWR and IDFG will be there to give updates on the entire Bear Lake fishery as well as future work planned for Bear Lake.
(03-17-2022, 12:41 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The ice has been very stable and is currently doing really well.  About 16+ on most of the lake.  Several inches of snow on top of the ice.  No melting on the edges either.  Fishing has been better than the last few weeks since the cutts and lakers have started feeding again and I've seen some really nice fish caught this last week.  Jigging tubes tipped with cisco is working well, but it seems the herring scent on the tubes is also working good too.  Still seeing some whitefish caught on the rockpile in about 40' using Swedish Pimples and Kastmasters.  Plenty of machines on the ice too.  Just be cautious around the pressure ridges, but most of those have refroze from a few weeks ago when the ridges were prevalent.  Don't put your ice gear away yet.  Come on up and get some sun-rays and fish in a sweatshirt!   
Finally, don't forget about the upcoming "State of Bear Lake" meeting on 3/31 at 6pm at the Garden City offices.  Both UDWR and IDFG will be there to give updates on the entire Bear Lake fishery as well as future work planned for Bear Lake.

Thanks for the report. We're looking at making our last bear lake trip on Wednesday. Hopefully it holds up as this season is about done.
Hey Scott are they offering the meeting on line through Zoom or anything? I have a water meeting I have to attend that night for our Canal company so i won't be able to attend live... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-17-2022, 07:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Scott are they offering the meeting on line through Zoom or anything?  I have a water meeting I have to attend that night for our Canal company so i won't be able to attend live... Thanks Jeff

No.  It is an in person meeting only.  Since its just in informational meeting it would take a lot of effort to try to do it online from a remote location like Garden City.  Priorities, priorities...we all deal with that.
Thanks Scott, guess I'll have to wear my farmer hat that night... Wish I could hear the details... hope someone will post some highlights...Thanks and hope your operation has went well and the recovery is going good... Later J
(03-17-2022, 12:41 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The ice has been very stable and is currently doing really well.  About 16+ on most of the lake.  Several inches of snow on top of the ice.  No melting on the edges either.  Fishing has been better than the last few weeks since the cutts and lakers have started feeding again and I've seen some really nice fish caught this last week.  Jigging tubes tipped with cisco is working well, but it seems the herring scent on the tubes is also working good too.  Still seeing some whitefish caught on the rockpile in about 40' using Swedish Pimples and Kastmasters.  Plenty of machines on the ice too.  Just be cautious around the pressure ridges, but most of those have refroze from a few weeks ago when the ridges were prevalent.  Don't put your ice gear away yet.  Come on up and get some sun-rays and fish in a sweatshirt!   

Any new updates? Hoping to head out tomorrow
The ice is still very stable. I had friends that fished yesterday evening and said the snow on top the ice is just starting to melt a bit. They measured the ice at 17" off the rockpile area. The edges were totally hard, but I would bet by this weekend you'll see the water forming on top of the ice from the melted snow and the snow along the beach edges will also melt. This will expose the colored sand which will make the ice melt faster. However, I saw a couple of snow mobiles out yesterday so there is no issue with the ice thickness or strength yet. Just watch out for any methane vent holes/springs. Those are always open or barely covered. The best fishing this week has come off the area from Gus Rich Point south to the rest area in about 55-80'. They were still catching fish on the rockpile but that has slowed a bit.
(03-25-2022, 11:59 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The ice is still very stable.  I had friends that fished yesterday evening and said the snow on top the ice is just starting to melt a bit.  They measured the ice at 17" off the rockpile area.  The edges were totally hard, but I would bet by this weekend you'll see the water forming on top of the ice from the melted snow and the snow along the beach edges will also melt.  This will expose the colored sand which will make the ice melt faster.  However, I saw a couple of snow mobiles out yesterday so there is no issue with the ice thickness or strength yet.  Just watch out for any methane vent holes/springs. Those are always open or barely covered.  The best fishing this week has come off the area from Gus Rich Point south to the rest area in about 55-80'. They were still catching fish on the rockpile but that has slowed a bit.

Great info report Scott, I'm really surprised the ice is holding up so well.
(03-25-2022, 11:59 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: The ice is still very stable.  I had friends that fished yesterday evening and said the snow on top the ice is just starting to melt a bit.  They measured the ice at 17" off the rockpile area.  The edges were totally hard, but I would bet by this weekend you'll see the water forming on top of the ice from the melted snow and the snow along the beach edges will also melt.  This will expose the colored sand which will make the ice melt faster.  However, I saw a couple of snow mobiles out yesterday so there is no issue with the ice thickness or strength yet.  Just watch out for any methane vent holes/springs. Those are always open or barely covered.  The best fishing this week has come off the area from Gus Rich Point south to the rest area in about 55-80'. They were still catching fish on the rockpile but that has slowed a bit.

I haven't heard much lately, is it still holding up ok?
I was up to Bear Lake on 26 March and there were still folks out ice fishing. Not sure if there are any gaps along the edges though I didn't get up close.
Edges aren't really and issue at Bear Lake, the runoff water don't really get started until May since it comes from the Uinta's and I think the upstream dams fill up first before they dump it into Bear Lake... Plus the lake is soooo large it takes a lot of water to make much of an effect on it...
(04-01-2022, 04:31 AM)Trent_S Wrote: I was up to Bear Lake on 26 March and there were still folks out ice fishing. Not sure if there are any gaps along the edges though I didn't get up close.

Saw folks out ice fishing BL on 2 Apr.
People were out on the ice on Sunday April 3.....
Looking at the web cam today it looks like the ice is beginning to pull away from the shore.  Might be opening up here in the next week or Two.