Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
state parts response
I have sent my concerns to state parks about boater problems and fishing problems. I got a response form Ty Hunter and I wanted to share it with my fishing buddies.  My purpose of sharing it with you is to solicit your help in making this problem produce an good answer.
Please feel free to email them with your concerns and problems.  
I spoke of Jordanelle Reservoir, but you may have other to report about.
I was pleased with Ty's answer but he needs to know lots of people feel this way or need to know your concerns.  Be specific and state the waters you care about.

[Image: AOh14GgNv00RaIMAyz5JODNEyl4Fo6NyUbsYPsEAZbwA=s40]
Ty Hunter
10:11 AM (23 minutes ago)

[Image: cleardot.gif]
[Image: cleardot.gif]

Verdean,
Thank you for sending your concerns I have been forwarded your email and working on a solution to address the following listed issues:
  • Lack of enforcement of Utah's Speed and Proximity (S&P) Law

• Mandatory education at the time of registration

• Effects of S&P violations on paddle craft, fishermen, etc.

• Segregation of use

• Funding
Also, in your examples provided below may I ask which reservoirs you have experienced the S&P violations and lack of enforcement of the law?  What type of watercraft do you own/use?  Lastly what type of activity or activities do you participate in while on the water?  By answering these questions I may be able to better understand your concerns and observations and provide more viable solutions.

We have been having many issues with boaters and jet skiers while fishing in the summer.  As you know the 150 feet no wake law is the issue that has very little meaning to lots of boaters.  I believe most are just unaware of the law.   
I have a proposal for the state that might help to educate the boaters.

Each year we must register our water craft, usually done online, I think if the boater was required to complete a registration which included reading the laws and requirements for safe operation of the craft.  Then checking off each law and signing the acknowledgement of the laws.
This would make the owner more aware and accountable for the ticket for violations.

Even if you do not use this plan, I am hoping that some forum  control can be adopted to help out with this building problem. With the growing use of paddle board users, this is a growing issue.  Last year while I was slowed down to pass paddle boards a large boat came between me and the paddle boards without slowing down.  This gave the five paddle boards large wakes which forced them to lay down to control themselves.
I am in favor of dividing the lake or water into fishing and no fishing areas to make designated restricted sections of some waters. This is a difficult thing to do. 
Maybe other states have adopted a program that we could consider for our state.
I know funding is a problem but increased patrolling on the water has got to be a part of the increased usage of the waters.
I am a member of bigfishtackle, and I'm sure there are many people waiting for some way to control those who do not follow this law.

Thank you for your service,
Verdean Petersen
3413 hunter village dr.
west valley city, utah
801-661-0677
verdeanp@gmail.com

--
Ty J Hunter
Boating Program Manager,
Boating Law Administrator                                      
Utah Division of Recreation
(801) 440-5106 office
(801) 538-BOAT Boating Education 
tyhunter@utah

Ya know the real problem typically isn't with the one that pays the bill and licenses the boat, it's when their kids take the boat out and go have a fun day with their friends.... Maybe not always the case, but most of the issue I have are with younger kids that probably just don't know any better yet... Maybe young operators need to pass a safety class before they are allowed to operate a watercraft on a public water way???? I'm not one for more government involvement, but this might be a spot where it could prove a benefit like seat belts... Guess I'm mostly thinking of Jet skis nearly hitting boats and monster waves about swamping boats... Good luck with this effort... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-22-2022, 05:16 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Ya know the real problem typically isn't with the one that pays the bill and licenses the boat, it's when their kids take the boat out and go have a fun day with their friends.... Maybe not always the case, but most of the issue I have are with younger kids that probably just don't know any better yet...  Maybe young operators need to pass a safety class before they are allowed to operate a watercraft on a public water way????  I'm not one for more government involvement, but this might be a spot where it could prove a benefit like seat belts... Guess I'm mostly thinking of Jet skis nearly hitting boats and monster waves about swamping boats... Good luck with this effort... Later J

ALL boaters should,  just like the mussel test,  add it to the mussel cert to put on the dash of your truck  and in the boat, that way IGNORANCE is not a excuse, then that proves it is arrogance and plain DONT care about anyone but myself is the problem. publicise the penalty, the only lake I have seen any signage is jordy, but it was mostly just at the PWC ramp, I would gladly answer 10 more questions as long the power squadron has to also.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I was almost hit by a “wake “ boater at Jordanell while fishing, I believe had I not had a horn on my boat that he would not looked at where he was going. I have since chosen other waters to fish, I recognize that if you have a power boat that you want to use it but…..
I know there are looooots of examples.
What I want is you people to send an email. Tyhunter@utah.gov
He wants to hear from us..
(03-22-2022, 07:08 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I know there are looooots of examples.
What I want is you people to send an email. Tyhunter@utah.gov
He wants to hear from us..

I just sent one.

Thanks for contacting the Parks folks.

Things will only get worse because of the low water levels. Sad
I think it would be good for a visible sign to be posted exactly 150 feet away from each permit shack which the "gate keeper" could point to and verbally inform each driver as they enter that this is the "NO WAKE" distance. Don't know if it would help but at least people would be reminded.
Several times I've called the Willard Bay office and complained about boats almost running over float tubbers. I've seen rangers respond and issue tickets. In one case the boater pleaded not guilty and I was called to testify. Judge found him guilty and imposed a hefty fine. Also, my experience is fishing boats can be just as guilty of this as other boats.
I had lots of problems at Jordanelle last year. I started taking a camera with a telephoto lens to take pictures, get bow numbers, etc. I called in several violations last year and the rangers were quite responsive. It was pretty funny. When they went by me I took their picture, then honked my horn to call their attention to the fact that they were in violation of the S&P rule. They became very apologetic, acting like they weren't aware they were throwing a 3' wake at me from 20 yards away. One ranger took a look at my photos and wrote up the boat not just for S&P, but also stern riding. I ruined a few boaters' day.

There are signs at the top of the main boat ramp explaining the S&P rule. Maybe if the had flashing sign on each side of the ramps and at the entrance people would be more aware that strict enforcement is in effect. Till then I'll be taking more photos and making more calls. I take photos with my phone of the pictures on my camera and text them to the rangers. They are really good about enforcing the law.

You may just want to send Parks the link to this thread. I'm sure they will be interested.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
I think a lot of the worst offenders know exactly what they are doing, just like the people who go by you doing 100 on the freeway. No amount of education will stop these people. Others SHOULD know better but are just thoughtless. We require hunters to take classes and pass tests in order to handle firearms safely and know other rules. We require licenses to drive, practice medicine, operate cranes, etc., etc. Why not to operate a boat?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

While I agree this is a huge problem, I have more of a logistical concern:

Reservoirs in Utah are getting so crowded, that it feels like at times, nobody would be able to leave a wake without being in violation. There physically is not enough water to be more than 150 feet from one another at times.

Now, far be it from me to make excuses for the power squadron, because they are all that is wrong with boating, IMO. But, to provide a little more color, an example:

Once in a great while, I will run to the Soldier Creek side of Strawberry from the main marina. Crossing Strawberry Bay on a Saturday with 300+ boats out there trolling every which way, and maintaining 150+ feet is definitely reminiscent of playing "Frogger" on the Atari. Once across the bay, there are often people anchored up and trolling all through the narrows, which is again challenging at times to maintain 150+ feet. You could spend WELL over an hour each way trying to navigate past everyone at wakeless speeds.

So, a couple of thoughts:

1. Distances are hard to judge on the water, and 150' is not nearly as far as you think it is.
2. Be reasonable where you operate, and expect others to operate. If you anchor up in the middle of the Narrows, you're going to get waked. I'm not saying it's right, but you're in a main thoroughfare. Now, if you set up in a cove and someone comes waking you, that's another story.
3. Some lakes should be listed as "no powersports allowed". The power squadron has already taken over Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Echo, East Canyon, etc. from April through September. And now they're starting to make their way to Strawberry and elsewhere. By no powersports, I mean PWCs and any sort of towable or surfing.
4. Sectioning off more portions of lakes (like the Wallsburg arm at Deer Creek) as wakeless.
Surf boats have ruined our Southern UT lakes. These boats have their noses in the air and the drivers looking behind them, making them very dangerous and often unaware of their path, heading directly at other boats. I have had to use my horn countless times during the summer months to get the attention of one of these surf boats heading directly at us. The horn doesn't always work since they are usually BLASTING music so loud that you can hear them across the lake. Even boats that see you often come by wayyyy to close and end up washing your boat out. These people seem clueless, even when we are yelling at them and casting across their bows. I would have more empathy if the lake was completely full and they had no room, but when these instances occur generally there is TONS of open water away from us. Any yes...kids driving these boats makes it ten times worse. There should be some kind of training/licensure for boat drivers IMO.
Videos or pictures is the way to go. I haven't met a ranger yet that would hesitate to cite an offender when you have the proof. I have even stayed out fishing and called it in and they came out to me then went and chased the other boat down.
With all this, why aren't the park rangers doing more about policing the water on there own.
I guess we should take pictures and send them to north temple state parks offices.
I sent my email to Ty asking for odd/even wakeless days on DC.
If that is not possible, half the lake wake/half wakeless all days.
I’m sure they will fix me up!
Good try. At least they better know SOMETHING BETTER BE DONE.
I'm in agreement with something needs to be done with how boaters conduct themselves on the water. Younger generations want to have fun & I get that, been there. However, it has become a crowded situation wherever you go especially these past 2yrs. For a motorcycle to use the roadways they must be licensed that is also inserted on a motor vehicle driver's license. There is a growing concern of the UTV/ATV becoming more & more popular with them racing up and down the neighborhoods along with non-street legal motorcycles. Yet most if not all must be registered through DMV. As one boater I pay the annual registration fee along with an AIS fee, I'm adhering to the laws, when I'm on the water I have to make sure all safety features are in place including following other laws. For many years our younger generations must go through a driver's education course, it was a high school course when I was there 1968-72. I think this where education can be expanded for boating as written exam. There is also some that have lived near a coastline with navigational waterways. These laws you must follow, or you can find yourself in the world of hurt. There are boating accidents out there as well. One example is I've seen the results of our US Coastguard rescue a couple of guys who's 12' aluminum fishing boat salmon fishing got swamped in 4-6' swells, they lived but were lucky.
Now here's a thought, there are specialized boats that take on water to make their own wakes. Those wakes can travel a distance keeping the waters churning. 

Boat Fails #2 - Bing video

Camera captures terrifying boat crash - Bing video

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Yup, Bduck those wake-making atrocities are sure enough effective. Wife and I got a couple inflatable kayaks (with pretty high sides) for recreational use.  We can do to Hyrum, launch at the beach, and stay dry for out whole morning until we come back in.  The wakes hitting the beach like to flip our kayaks over and soak us for our drive home. Hard to belive there is any shore line left.

When I fish there. do best to be off before 11.  At least this COVID stuff got them in habit of shutting down entry once the main lot is full.  They used to let most all in and pack overflow of trailers in the group camp area.  Then again the other edge of sword is that the lake gets full most every day of the week all summer memorial through labor days.