Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek anyone?
Wondering if anyone has been up to Deer Creek in the last few days? Any report would be greatly appreciated....Thanks
That would be interesting to me too
I just got back from Deer Creek. The reservoir is completely ice free, except from the buoy line to the dam - can't fish there anyway. Trolled a couple hours for very willing trout. One nice 18" fat one was the largest. Trolled standard kokanee gear at 15 and 19'. Water surface temp was 44*. Sun was nice, with no wind until about 4:30. When the wind came up, I realized I had left my hoodie in the truck so in just a tee shirt, I headed in. As I live in Provo, it is just a quick trip even if I only have a few hours.

Okay, here is the rest of the story. I'm sure Tube Dude is scratching his head after this report. I contacted Pat a few days ago - told him I wanted to start fishing for walleye. Pat was kind enough to invite me to his "tackle playroom" on Monday. I talked his ear off for more than an hour. I also loaded up on walleye goodies. So when I posted that I found willing trout I'm sure he thought "What the Heck?" Well I really did start off with walleye gear, set up a pole and got the hang of trolling it around bouncing on the bottom, etc. Of course I was really just practicing a different kind of fishing with different gear. After about an hour with no walleye harmed and 3 trout with sore lips, I figured it was really the wrong time of day, and maybe a bit early in the season so I changed over to the kokanee gear. I had a hard time keeping 2 rods in the water.

Probably head back up in the morning for another try.
(03-23-2022, 11:27 PM)brookie Wrote: I just got back from Deer Creek. The reservoir is completely ice free, except from the buoy line to the dam - can't fish there anyway. Trolled a couple hours for very willing trout. One nice 18" fat one was the largest. Trolled standard kokanee gear at 15 and 19'. Water surface temp was 44*. Sun was nice, with no wind until about 4:30. When the wind came up, I realized I had left my hoodie in the truck so in just a tee shirt, I headed in. As I live in Provo, it is just a quick trip even if I only have a few hours.

Okay, here is the rest of the story. I'm sure Tube Dude is scratching his head after this report. I contacted Pat a few days ago - told him I wanted to start fishing for walleye. Pat was kind enough to invite me to his "tackle playroom" on Monday. I talked his ear off for more than an hour. I also loaded up on walleye goodies. So when I posted that I found willing trout I'm sure he thought "What the Heck?" Well I really did start off with walleye gear, set up a pole and got the hang of trolling it around bouncing on the bottom, etc. Of course I was really just practicing a different kind of fishing with different gear. After about an hour with no walleye harmed and 3 trout with sore lips, I figured it was really the wrong time of day, and maybe a bit early in the season so I changed over to the kokanee gear. I had a hard time keeping 2 rods in the water.

If you want DC eyes, I would suggest working soft plastics on drop offs near rocky shorelines or out near the river channel. The eyes will be still be in pre spawn mode. When I say slow I mean really slow. If you think you are jigging slow enough, slow down even more. Make sure you have a sensitive rod. The bite can be extremely subtle. Sonetimes it is just a tick, or the line hesitates. Some say it feels like rubber bands. It can be like a sixth sense. Anything that feels different, set the hook. Good luck on your quest. More times than not, the walleye will leave you scratching your head, especially this time of year. 
Gabe
Thanks Gabe, every bit of advice helps. I’m sure I just have to keep at it. Yeah and keep scratching my head.
(03-24-2022, 12:55 AM)brookie Wrote: Thanks Gabe, every bit of advice helps. I’m sure I just have to keep at it. Yeah and keep scratching my head.

Be very careful or this will happen.

[Image: head-scratch.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Was there yesterday. Wally didn’t wanna play but it was a 20+ rainbow day for me with another half dozen lost. All slow trolling.
(03-24-2022, 01:56 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Was there yesterday. Wally didn’t wanna play but it was a 20+ rainbow day for me with another half dozen lost. All slow trolling.

Welcome to the site Redrebel, how slow were you slow trolling, 1 mph?
(03-24-2022, 02:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 01:56 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Was there yesterday. Wally didn’t wanna play but it was a 20+ rainbow day for me with another half dozen lost. All slow trolling.

Thanks wiper, I have followed this site for years and have finally made my first post. Speed was .9-1.2. I only had 3 fish on my bottom bouncer. Most fish suspended at 25-35’ in 45-50’ of water. They loved the spoon.
(03-24-2022, 03:01 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

Thanks wiper, I have followed this site for years and have finally made my first post. Speed was .9-1.2. I only had 3 fish on my bottom bouncer. Most fish suspended at 25-35’ in 45-50’ of water. They loved the spoon.

For most people that is pretty slow for trout but back in the day, that was the speed we trolled all the time and it's a good speed for eyes as well. From you post, you did not catch any browns, just bows?
(03-24-2022, 04:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 03:01 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

For most people that is pretty slow for trout but back in the day, that was the speed we trolled all the time and it's a good speed for eyes as well. From you post, you did not catch any browns, just bows?
no browns. The bows were not the planter size. All good size and fighting fish. 
(03-23-2022, 09:37 PM)stlaf Wrote: Wondering if anyone has been up to Deer Creek in the last few days? Any report would be greatly appreciated....Thanks
3/24 trolled flasher and squid tipped wit worm caught 15 or so bows and one Kokanee.  All fish 15 to 18 nothing special.
Probably 35 trailers in the parking lot at the main ramp. Lake is basically Ice Free, small patch inside the buoys at the dam. Surface temp was 42
BEAUTIFUL DAY
(03-25-2022, 02:48 PM)Fowl-Hook Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 09:37 PM)stlaf Wrote: Wondering if anyone has been up to Deer Creek in the last few days? Any report would be greatly appreciated....Thanks
3/24 trolled flasher and squid tipped wit worm caught 15 or so bows and one Kokanee.  All fish 15 to 18 nothing special.
Probably 35 trailers in the parking lot at the main ramp. Lake is basically Ice Free, small patch inside the buoys at the dam. Surface temp was 42
BEAUTIFUL DAY

I would be very surprised if you caught a Kokanee on Deer Creek.
(03-23-2022, 11:27 PM)brookie Wrote: Okay, here is the rest of the story. I'm sure Tube Dude is scratching his head after this report. I contacted Pat a few days ago - told him I wanted to start fishing for walleye. Pat was kind enough to invite me to his "tackle playroom" on Monday. I talked his ear off for more than an hour. I also loaded up on walleye goodies. So when I posted that I found willing trout I'm sure he thought "What the Heck?" Well I really did start off with walleye gear, set up a pole and got the hang of trolling it around bouncing on the bottom, etc. Of course I was really just practicing a different kind of fishing with different gear. After about an hour with no walleye harmed and 3 trout with sore lips, I figured it was really the wrong time of day, and maybe a bit early in the season so I changed over to the kokanee gear. I had a hard time keeping 2 rods in the water.

If there is a train coming down the tracks toward you, the key to getting off the tracks is timing.  And so it is with walleyes.  As you have been advised, those fish in Deer Creek are still in prespawn mode and very tentative.  The trinkets you acquired are best when fished later in the year...after the spawn...from about mid May and clear through the rest of the year.  As with almost anything else, some fish will still munch, but it will be a lot better later.  And as water temperatures and water levels change throughout the summer so will the depth and best speeds change for the walleyes.  Almost every trip is a new trip.  Gotta watch the electronics and keep changing up the presentation until you find the pattern du jour.  The good news on BFT is that we have a few Deer Creek wallie chasers that aren't too proud to post a report once in a while to at least give you a place to start.  And if all else fails you can return to Starvation.  You know you can at least catch some "seegars" over there...even by accident.
(03-25-2022, 03:17 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 11:27 PM)brookie Wrote: Okay, here is the rest of the story. I'm sure Tube Dude is scratching his head after this report. I contacted Pat a few days ago - told him I wanted to start fishing for walleye. Pat was kind enough to invite me to his "tackle playroom" on Monday. I talked his ear off for more than an hour. I also loaded up on walleye goodies. So when I posted that I found willing trout I'm sure he thought "What the Heck?" Well I really did start off with walleye gear, set up a pole and got the hang of trolling it around bouncing on the bottom, etc. Of course I was really just practicing a different kind of fishing with different gear. After about an hour with no walleye harmed and 3 trout with sore lips, I figured it was really the wrong time of day, and maybe a bit early in the season so I changed over to the kokanee gear. I had a hard time keeping 2 rods in the water.

If there is a train coming down the tracks toward you, the key to getting off the tracks is timing.  And so it is with walleyes.  As you have been advised, those fish in Deer Creek are still in prespawn mode and very tentative.  The trinkets you acquired are best when fished later in the year...after the spawn...from about mid May and clear through the rest of the year.  As with almost anything else, some fish will still munch, but it will be a lot better later.  And as water temperatures and water levels change throughout the summer so will the depth and best speeds change for the walleyes.  Almost every trip is a new trip.  Gotta watch the electronics and keep changing up the presentation until you find the pattern du jour.  The good news on BFT is that we have a few Deer Creek wallie chasers that aren't too proud to post a report once in a while to at least give you a place to start.  And if all else fails you can return to Starvation.  You know you can at least catch some "seegars" over there...even by accident.
Bottom bouncer with worm presentation produced nothing. I almost always at least get a nibble With that presentation. So I agree that every trip can be different and when I changed baits I picked up three fish all good size.