Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not looking good for our water year
https://water.utah.gov/wp-content/upload...-Basin.pdf
I know things have improved slightly since this was posted but overall our water year is not looking good for Northern Utah. The last time Northern Utah was in this situation was in 2003, it was the end of a three year period of drought and things recovered after that, I just hope this year is the end of our drought or things will get really ugly next year.
Yep, not really looking good anywhere out here, not looking good around here for sure, hopefully get some rain to help out some.
I don't think it can get any uglier when I look in the mirror! Rain, snow, hail, don't care the form, just more water please!!
Agreed, at this point, moisture in any form would be great, sure hope we have a wet Spring and Summer.
Here is a link to our snowpack totals. The snowpack for the Ogden/Weber drainage was 81% before this last increase in temps, look how much it decreased in less than a week:
https://www.ksl.com/weather/snowpack
Ranchers and farmers are really really hurting. I have friends who may not recover. It’s as bad here as I can remember. Sure could use a wonderful wet spring and a good monsoon season this summer.
Yup planted short season grain this year because they cut our water in half last year in July, I hope we make it that long this year before the reductions start... later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Yea, know lots of them in Montana only got 30 days of water, hopefully they get a bit more this year, but not looking good up there either.
We should be thankful for the limited water we have now. There was a time in the mid-1930s when Utah Lake had an estimated depth of 7 to 14 inches and the lake was essentially totally drained. Could it happen again? Not likely but it could be a lot worse than it is today. I agree with others, a very wet spring and lots of summer rain would sure help. Not likely that we will get more significant snow this late in the season. The drought makes it tough for those of us who like to fish and recreate on our lakes and streams but the farmers and ranchers are the ones who really suffer. What we really need is another year like 1983-4 when we were concerned about high water and flooding. We prepare the best we can for the highs and the lows and appreciated all those year that are "normal."

More moisture, please.
(03-30-2022, 02:54 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: We should be thankful for the limited water we have now. There was a time in the mid-1930s when Utah Lake had an estimated depth of 7 to 14 inches and the lake was essentially totally drained. Could it happen again? Not likely but it could be a lot worse than it is today. I agree with others, a very wet spring and lots of summer rain would sure help. Not likely that we will get more significant snow this late in the season. The drought makes it tough for those of us who like to fish and recreate on our lakes and streams but the farmers and ranchers are the ones who really suffer. What we really need is another year like 1983-4 when we were concerned about high water and flooding. We prepare the best we can for the highs and the lows and appreciated all those year that are "normal."

More moisture, please.

The Winter of 83-84 was the year I bought my house and there was 4 foot of snow on my roof when I moved in the house in Feb. We had a bad Winter kill that year, that they claimed killed 90% of the deer and I'm not sure they ever recovered from it, at least to the numbers they were before that year. I remember one storm during that Winter that put down 18 inches of snow in 24 hours.
this sure shouldnt come as a surprise its not like nobody saw it coming
https://universe.byu.edu/2016/05/29/utah...25-years1/
the pay the least 
use the most 
in one of the driest states experiencing large growth and population influx,
regardless if you believe the science behind the reality of changing global climate,
isnt a feasible plan
but at least there is some sort of plan in place other than kickin the leaking can down the road
pretty interesting reading
https://water.utah.gov/wp-content/upload...Layout.pdf
and my favorite part is
Quote:"By failing to prepare,
You are preparing to fail"
-Benny Franklin
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom