Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATED: White Bass Die Off at Utah Lake 3-26-2022
I just got a brief update from Chris Crockett (Central Region Aquatics Manager for the DWR). 
They have been looking into the issue since last Friday. A lot is still unknown as it is no easy task to identify the cause. He did say this, which sounds like good news:

"It looks like the event is over and appears to only be impacting white bass (at least only seeing white bass in any observable numbers)."
Thanks Chris!

I fished out of Provo on Saturday with Mooseman75. We had 2 tentative hits from possible cats the entire morning. We used cut WB, both fresh and thawed. Second skunk in a row for me. I also tired to catch whites for an early hour on Friday w/o a hit. Water temp was 53 - 56 degrees

Between the morning fishing trip on Saturday and afternoon boat ride/grandkids. I counted about 100 dead WB scattered randomly from the airport to the mouth of Powel Slough. I also saw 4 that were dying and swimming in tight circles on the lake surface. One of the cirlcle swimmers had large teeth marks on it, but I doubt all 100 were bite victims. I suspect the circler was bitten because it was swimming like a cripple.

I think the cats are gorged on dead WB right now.

I called and emailed the DWR for some understanding of whether this happens each spring, although I've never seen it before. I'll give and update when I get one.
(03-28-2022, 06:18 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: I fished out of Provo on Saturday with Mooseman75. We had 2 tentative hits from possible cats the entire morning. We used cut WB, both fresh and thawed. Second skunk in a row for me. I also tired to catch whites for an early hour on Friday w/o a hit. Water temp was 53 - 56 degrees

Between the morning fishing trip on Saturday and afternoon boat ride/grandkids. I counted about 100 dead WB scattered randomly from the airport to the mouth of Powel Slew. I also saw 4 that were dying and swimming in tight circles on the lake surface. One of the cirlcle swimmers had large teeth marks on it, but I doubt all 100 were bite victims. I suspect the circler was bitten because it was swimming like a cripple.

I called and emailed the DWR for some understanding of whether this happens each spring, although I've never seen it before. I'll give and update when I get one.

It is not every year, I to have noticed all the dead WB except for what the pelicans are eating, no doubt the eyes and cats are full, it has been a tough spring for all the eye guys I know,   that would sense why they done like me, at least thats my story,

Be curious on what the DNR have to say.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Sat at Lincon my son and I saw the same thing lots of Dead WB floating in the channel and on the lake.  I am going to use that as the reason we were skunked!  lol
(03-28-2022, 07:00 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Sat at Lincon my son and I saw the same thing lots of Dead WB floating in the channel and on the lake.  I am going to use that as the reason we were skunked!  lol

Yes, I saw his post about the injured WB and figured you were seeing the same thing I was. I think I may avoid the lake for a few weeks until the wave is over and most of the victims have been consumed and digested Smile
(03-28-2022, 06:18 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: I fished out of Provo on Saturday with Mooseman75. We had 2 tentative hits from possible cats the entire morning. We used cut WB, both fresh and thawed. Second skunk in a row for me. I also tired to catch whites for an early hour on Friday w/o a hit. Water temp was 53 - 56 degrees

Between the morning fishing trip on Saturday and afternoon boat ride/grandkids. I counted about 100 dead WB scattered randomly from the airport to the mouth of Powel Slough. I also saw 4 that were dying and swimming in tight circles on the lake surface. One of the cirlcle swimmers had large teeth marks on it, but I doubt all 100 were bite victims. I suspect the circler was bitten because it was swimming like a cripple.

Well! if you two didn't catch anything, I'm not going to feel so bad because I can't go. 

rj
(03-28-2022, 09:22 PM)Mr. J Wrote:

Well! if you two didn't catch anything, I'm not going to feel so bad because I can't go. 

rj

I did get 3 cats back on the 15th of March in water about 44 degrees, but it was desolate on Saturday. Better times are coming, I think.

I hope you can get out when it warms up and other things are more normal.
(03-28-2022, 10:06 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 09:22 PM)Mr. J Wrote:

rj

I did get 3 cats back on the 15th of March in water about 44 degrees, but it was desolate on Saturday. Better times are coming, I think.

I hope you can get out when it warms up and other things are more normal.

I sure hope so!
Hopefully it is just the white bass!
I got a PM from Pisco asking for my input.  I don't claim to know exactly what the problem is, but this is not the first time there has been a dieoff of white bass.  The last was several years ago after a prolonged ice cap over some shallow areas of the lake...like Mud Lake (Provo Bay).  That was due to oxygen depletion and winter kill...not only of white bass but even a bunch of bullheads. 

Since this latest dieoff is happening well after ice off...and even in areas of deeper water...I doubt that it is a "delayed winter kill".   It is most likely something similar to what happened to the perch in Starvation in 2013 and in Jordanelle a few years earlier.  The dieoff after iceout was witnessed by lots of early iceoff anglers and reported to DWR but to the best of my knowledge there was never a definitive cause established.  The general consensus was that it was some kind of species specific pathogen (virus or bacteria) that affected only the perch.  Maybe some kind of Covid crud. 

Pisco mentioned that he had taken a sample of a dying whitie and had shot some video of their death throes.  And that he wanted to get those to someone in DWR.  I suggested he contact Chris Crockett in the Springville office. I'm sure he will report back on whatever he finds from Chris.

I just cancelled personal plans to hit Utah Lake out of Lindon tomorrow.  Call me a wimp, but I have a strong aversion to fighting wind and waves while trying to enjoy my fishing.  I fish for enjoyment...not endurance.  Still, I hope to check out that portion of the lake as soon as possible to see if the dieoff is lakewide...or limited to small areas only.  From past experience I can attest that a major white bass dieoff in Utah Lake will upset the whole ecology.  White bass are the primary food source for all the predators...including other white bass.  And if the numbers of adult white bass dying means a poor spawning population there ain't gonna be enough groceries for all the meat eaters in the lake for several years to come.