Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle
Noticed on my way to work today that the warm temps and wind have cleared the ice from in front of the PWC ramp so that boats can be launched now. The Hailstone arm is still iced in and it looks like there is still some ice in the back of the Rock Cliff arm too.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks for the drive by report, hopefully someone gets out soon and post a report on how the catching is.
I launched this morning at 8:00. A sign at the top says to launch at your own risk. Launch was a little difficult as there is no wedge dock so you have to beach the boat to launch and retrieve. Also there are quite a few bread loaf sized rocks just under the water at the end of the ramp - makes for a bumpy launch. Not easy but can be done. I think I was the only boat on the water unless someone launched after I left.
Trolled until just after noon. Got some nice rainbows (all released). No kokanee caught today.
I watched your launch and wished I was with you. Saw you were alone. I know it's hard to launch by yourself.
Looked like a windy, rough day on the water.
Did you see any packs of wandering kokanees looking for anything and not cooperating with fisherman?
I need to wait for the dock to be installed, to hard for me when I'm alone.
Thanks for your efforts and report.
Actually I did have a friend with me, but he has MS and is not much help launching. He can't get in the boat down on the beach and he is not confident driving the boat so I am pretty much on my own. I got him in the boat at the top of the ramp, so you probably could not see him. I have launched so many times, I am pretty confident by myself, but it surely is easier with the dock.

It was windy and rough, but we found that the dam helped block some of the wind so we stayed down on the south end most of the day. I kept hoping to see packs of kokes, but never did. Might be better if I had fancier electronics, like 360 side. Haven't got there yet.
(03-29-2022, 03:11 AM)brookie Wrote: Actually I did have a friend with me, but he has MS and is not much help launching. He can't get in the boat down on the beach and he is not confident driving the boat so I am pretty much on my own. I got him in the boat at the top of the ramp, so you probably could not see him. I have launched so many times, I am pretty confident by myself, but it surely is easier with the dock.

It was windy and rough, but we found that the dam helped block some of the wind so we stayed down on the south end most of the day. I kept hoping to see packs of kokes, but never did. Might be better if I had fancier electronics, like 360 side. Haven't got there yet.

Thanks for the report, glad to read someone got up there to give it a try. Seems like last year the kokes were a little slow waking up for the season, so hopefully that will be the case again this year and there are still some left in there.
Went down today to look and a tow truck was pulling a guy and his boat out. Boat tires got stuck behind a couple of big rocks and he could not get out. 
F&G said docks won’t go in until water is a lot higher. North ramp still iced in.
As I reported, I launched on the PWC ramp yesterday. Well, I was probably very lucky I didn't damage the boat. I drove back up today - the water was pretty clear so I could see the hazards. The end of the ramp is still in the water but only about 3'. There are quite a few rocks, similar to the ones that line the ramp, under the water, on and past the end of the ramp. I have a 16' tracker and yesterday, it was bumpy but I was able to launch and retrieve without getting stuck. The problem is without the wedge dock, one has to beach on either side of the ramp. On the east under the water is an orange steel fence post sticking up. A boat might clear it, but if not it could cause some damage. I happened to go west, where there is a round piece of cement, formed in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket under the water. I happened to miss it yesterday, but could easily cause some damage. My assessment - I was thinking of going back tomorrow morning. I have reconsidered, I am not brave enough to launch at PWC until there is more water. I did tell the CO and he was going to see if the fence post could be removed or marked. They have never had the water this low so were unaware of the post.

Now the good news. On the main ramp, they have put the wedge dock in. The ice is still there but very thin and very rotten. The ice has receded from shore enough for that wedge dock. I suspect it will not be launchable tomorrow, but maybe by the weekend. Also they have fixed the camera on the main launch - it is quite a distance away, but you might be able to see online.
I bought a new canoe and am itching to get out in it.  Putting in at the PWC ramp sounds doable, right?
Single main, no kicker. Wink
You would be fine in a canoe.
On the way to work yesterday it looks like the wind has cleared the rest of the ice from the north end of the lake. Should be able to launch from the main ramp now.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
The main ramp has a chunk/sheet of ice still in that bay. Not sure if you can get around it or not - couldn't get around it yesterday. I launched yesterday from the PWC ramp. Had a guy with us in waders. He cleared some of the rocks on the end of the ramp. Launched and retrieved without incident. You do want to trim up your motor a little so not to hit the prop and watch the hazards on either side if you want to beach. Got my first koke of the year - about 14". Lost 2 more at the boat. They were real tentative. Water surface was 37.5* at launch and 39* when we left. Quite a few rainbows, all released.
(04-02-2022, 04:07 PM)brookie Wrote: The main ramp has a chunk/sheet of ice still in that bay. Not sure if you can get around it or not - couldn't get around it yesterday. I launched yesterday from the PWC ramp. Had a guy with us in waders. He cleared some of the rocks on the end of the ramp. Launched and retrieved without incident. You do want to trim up your motor a little so not to hit the prop and watch the hazards on either side if you want to beach. Got my first koke of the year - about 14". Lost 2 more at the boat. They were real tentative. Water surface was 37.5* at launch and 39* when we left. Quite a few rainbows, all released.

Thanks for the report, how deep were the kokes?
15 and 13’. Yeah realize I only had 3 kokes on all day. Started at 7:00 am and finished at 4:30 pm. Rainbows from 13 to 45' - though mostly on top.
I knew that was you. Your the only one more excited than me to get kokes.!
Maybe I'll see you Wednesday when I get there.
Thanks for your report!!
Nice job Brookie, looking at the Deer Valley web cam (time lapse) it looks like the ice went away today on the main and it’s open
That’s what I see as well.