Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Habits
I am sitting in front of the fireplace, waiting for our exchange student to finish getting ready for school so we can headout. And,, I am scratching mosquito bites.

That had me thinking about my habits. The mosquito bites, not my exchange student.

I am covered in them and they really swelled up bad this time - but I won't use  spray when I am catfishing. It was burned into my head that they are so sensitive and will shy from bait if they smell the spray. Same with getting gas. I won't fill up my truck until after I am done fishing. Silly habits - maybe but still habits.

Got me thinking more about what we do, good or bad, while pursuing our passion. Dad would lecture us about moving around in the boat, cause it would scare the fish ( it was a small metal boat). We belly crawled up to beaver ponds with our fly rods.  And we put up hay on the full moon so we could plan our horse packing trip "when the fish would bite" - i still prefer to not fish on a full moon, but I am more pragmatic about it now and fish whenever I can.

How about you? Do you always have kipper snack when you go deer hunting like my father in law - just because? Whats your odd habits and do you think mine are odd or valid.

My last thought, as I peel another inch of skin off scratching...I am taking a shotgun next time I go catfishing. Blood for blood- its only fair. Them skiters are gona earn it
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-31-2022, 01:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I am sitting in front of the fireplace, waiting for our exchange student to finish getting ready for school so we can headout. And,, I am scratching mosquito bites.

That had me thinking about my habits. The mosquito bites, not my exchange student.

I am covered in them and they really swelled up bad this time - but I won't use  spray when I am catfishing. It was burned into my head that they are so sensitive and will shy from bait if they smell the spray. Same with getting gas. I won't fill up my truck until after I am done fishing. Silly habits - maybe but still habits.

Got me thinking more about what we do, good or bad, while pursuing our passion. Dad would lecture us about moving around in the boat, cause it would scare the fish ( it was a small metal boat). We belly crawled up to beaver ponds with our fly rods.  And we put up hay on the full moon so we could plan our horse packing trip "when the fish would bite" - i still prefer to not fish on a full moon, but I am more pragmatic about it now and fish whenever I can.

How about you? Do you always have kipper snack when you go deer hunting like my father in law - just because? Whats your odd habits and do you think mine are odd or valid.

My last thought, as I peel another inch of skin off scratching...I am taking a shotgun next time I go catfishing. Blood for blood- its only fair. Them skiters are gona earn it

(03-31-2022, 02:58 PM)Mr. J Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 01:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I am sitting in front of the fireplace, waiting for our exchange student to finish getting ready for school so we can headout. And,, I am scratching mosquito bites.

What's the deal with bananas ?  I came close to not being accepted for a guided trip because I had a banana. Never bothered me on any other fishing trip and I always caught fish.

rj
I would not hesitate to spray mosquito repellent on me at any time. If I was too concerned I could either put on a pair of disposable rubber gloves to bait my hook or I could wash my hands with baking soda or Lava soap. I eat a banana on the way or on the boat (if I am sturgeon fishing) on every fishing trip. I can't think of a single superstition that I have related to fishing, other than I have noticed that sometimes the afternoon bite seems to be better than the morning bite with a full moon.
I do not know if mine is habit or superstition but I always put my set backs and downrigger depths at odd numbers. For instance one downrigger at 15' and the other at 19' or set backs one at 45' the other at 55'. So far everyone that fishes with me makes no complaints.
Ya mean like having to stop and buy an Apple fritter and chocolate milk every time i fish Hyrum? Oh that's probably just cause I drive past Ridley's.... BTW they have some of the best fritters in the valley... apple, cherry and blueberry or raspberry sometimes... Might have to buy a couple each if they have different kinds... As a kid we always had to spit on our worm before we cast out... maybe that's why they don't bite lately, I quit doing that... Anyway those are the ones I can think of.... Hunting we always had to have raspberry filled powder donuts on the morning of the first day... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-01-2022, 04:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Ya mean like having to stop and buy an Apple fritter and chocolate milk every time i fish Hyrum?  Oh that's probably just cause I drive past Ridley's.... BTW they have some of the best fritters in the valley... apple, cherry and blueberry or raspberry sometimes... Might have to buy a couple each if they have different kinds...  As a kid we always had to spit on our worm before we cast out... maybe that's why they don't bite lately, I quit doing that...  Anyway those are the ones I can think of.... Hunting we always had to have raspberry filled powder donuts on the morning of the first day... Later

Ditto on Ridley's donuts selection and taste !

Mine, if I am tubing no eating or drinking. Kicking back to shore for the call of nature sucks. If I am a shore bound not so much of a problem. 
Gabe
Since I threw this habit away,
[Image: download.png] 

I haven't had any.  Should I be concerned?  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I only fish on days ending in Y.