Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news for Veterans
This is NOT an April fools joke. H.B. 155 Veteran Access to State Parks bill passed.  This bill expands the State Parks Honor Pass Program giving free access to state parks to all Veterans with any percentage of disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Previously, the Honor Pass was only available to Veterans with a 50 percent disability rating or higher. The change will take effect on July 1, 2022. Veterans need only to provide a current Summary of Benefits letter issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs in order to obtain the pass at Utah State Park Regional Offices and most State Parks. Learn more on the Utah State Parks website.
Heart
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-01-2022, 08:05 PM)dubob Wrote: This is NOT an April fools joke.  H.B. 155 Veteran Access to State Parks bill passed.  This bill expands the State Parks Honor Pass Program giving free access to state parks to all Veterans with any percentage of disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Previously, the Honor Pass was only available to Veterans with a 50 percent disability rating or higher. The change will take effect on July 1, 2022. Veterans need only to provide a current Summary of Benefits letter issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs in order to obtain the pass at Utah State Park Regional Offices and most State Parks. Learn more on the Utah State Parks website.
Heart

Thanks for sharing. I've had a honors pass for a few years. Really helps. Those that have enough disability can get a 5 year license for bout 50 bucks also. Not sure what the disability rating for that is.
(04-02-2022, 12:38 AM)lee! Wrote: Thanks for sharing. I've had a honors pass for a few years. Really helps. Those that have enough disability can get a 5 year license for bout 50 bucks also. Not sure what the disability rating for that is.
If there is a state parks fee discount for non-veteran people with disabilities, it is well hidden.  I can find no fee structure that shows that class of people.  There are some free fishing licenses for certain disabled folks, but nothing stated about any percentages.  Hunting & combination license fees also only include veterans with disabilities.  If there are discounts for non-veteran folks with disabilities, I can't find them on either the DWR or Parks websites.  I support the concept of disabled folks getting a break on fees, but I can't find any evidence that this is the case in Utah.  Even this document that shows all states discount status shows Utah as a blank: Access Programs in State Parks.pdf (aucd.org).  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."