Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Report
Cookie and I ran out Saturday for a quick check on the rainbow situation for bank tanglers at the Gorge. We checked 5 differnt bays, in between the pipeline and Buckboard, with my castable sonar. They just were not stacked up yet. Singles and doubles showed on the sonar but not the big spring pre-spawn gatherings we were looking for. We watched boats in the mouth of these bays picking up fish, so they may be starting to show up ( or they may have been catching kokes). 

Anyway, we caught a few. Jakes, Jointed Rainbow Rapala and white tube jig, but not fast action and no size.

Weather was fantastic and the wind stayed low till after 3.

Water temp was 42-45 (surface)

Another week or two and it should be game on for fast rainbow action from the shore as the big Boys and Girls wander in for thier spring frolic.  Boaters should find plenty of action while they laugh at us landlubbers.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I’m surprised they aren’t in yet but I haven’t seen the crowd at the Lucerne ramp on the web cam either. We’re people launching at Buckboard
(04-03-2022, 10:13 PM)2knots Wrote: I’m surprised  they aren’t in yet but I haven’t seen the crowd at the Lucerne ramp on the web cam either. We’re people launching at Buckboard

We did not drive down to the ramp at Buckboard, just to some coves a bit north of the ramp, so not sure, but they were launching at Anvil and Sheep Creek. Not to many boats in the Pipeline or Anvil and what was there was having fun - we spied with the binocs.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Ok thanks, I heard talk that BB was open but not by anybody that had been there.
Thanks for the report. Water temp has risen since last weekend. I’m in Cali for my sons baseball tournament but will be hitting the gorge as soon as I’m back.
Thanks for the report. Water temp has risen since last weekend. I’m in Cali for my sons baseball tournament but will be hitting the gorge as soon as I’m back.
Fun time of the year when those big bows are in there doing their thing, sorry you missed out on the big ones but at least the weather was nice.  Do you ever use the marshmallow and worm setup when fishing for them there?
My wind app shows very windy conditions all week with Friday being the better day. But being considered long range & as weather goes need to watch on a day-to-day basis. 

[Image: wind-chart.png]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-03-2022, 12:57 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Cookie and I ran out Saturday for a quick check on the rainbow situation for bank tanglers at the Gorge. We checked 5 differnt bays, in between the pipeline and Buckboard, with my castable sonar. They just were not stacked up yet. Singles and doubles showed on the sonar but not the big spring pre-spawn gatherings we were looking for. We watched boats in the mouth of these bays picking up fish, so they may be starting to show up ( or they may have been catching kokes). 

Anyway, we caught a few. Jakes, Jointed Rainbow Rapala and white tube jig, but not fast action and no size.

Weather was fantastic and the wind stayed low till after 3.

Water temp was 42-45 (surface)

Another week or two and it should be game on for fast rainbow action from the shore as the big Boys and Girls wander in for thier spring frolic.  Boaters should find plenty of action while they laugh at us landlubbers.
I fished the Gorge Friday and Saturday.  There were no rainbows around the Lucern marina and we also went up carter creek and found low numbers there as well.  The weather was great though and most boat fishermen we talked to were picking up a few lake trout and Kokes.  The Lake Trout were spread out over much of the lake in ones and two’s and the action was slow but most were able to catch a few.
(04-03-2022, 11:50 PM)2knots Wrote: Ok thanks, I heard talk that BB was open but not by anybody that had been there.

Buckboard is open, and as of yesterday it sounds like the last ramp, Firehole, was close as well.  This wind will surely take care of any remaining ice up there, so I'd expect the entire lake to be devoid of ice now.  We fished Buckboard on Friday.  Water temp was 37F, the courtesy dock was in, and jigging for small lake trout was really good along the main channel break in 35-70ft of water.

Hope it helps, Ryno
(04-04-2022, 01:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Fun time of the year when those big bows are in there doing their thing, sorry you missed out on the big ones but at least the weather was nice.  Do you ever use the marshmallow and worm setup when fishing for them there?

Ya know Curt I fished a mellow and a worm all the time with my dad. Not sure why I don't anymore, but I don't. I suppose when I fish a worm on my floating pugly bug, it is a similar presentation style. I also dont fish salmon eggs any more but as a teenager I tossed bottles of them into the Weber. Its a bit odd how we wander away from proven methods. Can't explain why
(04-05-2022, 07:07 PM)Ryno Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 11:50 PM)2knots Wrote: Ok thanks, I heard talk that BB was open but not by anybody that had been there.

Buckboard is open, and as of yesterday it sounds like the last ramp, Firehole, was close as well.  This wind will surely take care of any remaining ice up there, so I'd expect the entire lake to be devoid of ice now.  We fished Buckboard on Friday.  Water temp was 37F, the courtesy dock was in, and jigging for small lake trout was really good along the main channel break in 35-70ft of water.

Hope it helps, Ryno

Thanks Ryno
I’m headed up to FG on Friday with a friend. We are after the lakers. We’re in a whitewater fishing raft with electric trolling motor so we’ll need to fish near where we launch. I have never fished the Gorge but last year he caught some nice lakers. We are there for 2 days. If his plan doesn’t yield fish, I’d like a plan B. I have heard Sheep Creek and Lucerne ramp for the Rainbows? Cowboypirate says white tubes and jointed rainbow rapala. Anything else I should have or different place we should try? Thanks!
i like to launch the drifty and hang in the sheltered bays of antelope flats, jug hollow or spring creek if its rough
Sadly looks like Calder res experienced a total fish kill this winter
hopefully they can restock or figure out another trophy catch and release water in that hood
shame it was a great fishery
and there is a white water raft worthy river with a high concentration of troots per mile thats close by
no trollin motors or lakers though
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom