Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy Willard 4/5
I drove into the north entrance on my way home from work this afternoon to check out the water levels and to also see if I could find a likely spot to soak some cut bait.  Hoping to find some cats for the table.  Wind was howling across the lake and pushing up against the east shore in waves. If I can, I really like fishing in areas where the wind is pushing up against the shore.  Walked out a ways around the bay I wanted to fish so my offerings would be upstream from the wind blown current.  Yep, the cats were there and it didn't take long and I had a double.  I proceeded to catch another 4 in the howling wind over the next 45 min.  Not fast fishing but fun for sure.  These aren't contest fish, but I love Willard cats on the table or smoker.  Standard cookie cutters up to 23" long. It was cold, but heck I go ice fishing, so I'm not complaining.

[Image: 20220405-172456.jpg]

[Image: 20220405-174314.jpg]

[Image: 20220405-181842.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pictures.

Way to put some meat on the table.

Now that's a bucket of ugly there. Big Grin
Saw the face book post, was just waiting for the details. Proves the point...the best time to go fishing is when you can
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice bucket of cats there! Congrats.
(04-06-2022, 01:58 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report and pictures.

Way to put some meat on the table.

Now that's a bucket of ugly there. Big Grin

They aren't going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure.  Thanks

(04-06-2022, 02:01 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Saw the face book post, was just waiting for the details. Proves the point...the best time to go fishing is when you can

I really debated whether to face the weather, but you are right, I go when I can.  So I did and was rewarded.

(04-06-2022, 02:17 AM)JArner Wrote: Nice bucket of cats there! Congrats.

Thanks Jim!
(04-06-2022, 01:23 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I drove into the north entrance on my way home from work this afternoon to check out the water levels and to also see if I could find a likely spot to soak some cut bait.  Hoping to find some cats for the table.  Wind was howling across the lake and pushing up against the east shore in waves. If I can, I really like fishing in areas where the wind is pushing up against the shore.  Walked out a ways around the bay I wanted to fish so my offerings would be upstream from the wind blown current.  Yep, the cats were there and it didn't take long and I had a double.  I proceeded to catch another 4 in the howling wind over the next 45 min.  Not fast fishing but fun for sure.  These aren't contest fish, but I love Willard cats on the table or smoker.  Standard cookie cutters up to 23" long. It was cold, but heck I go ice fishing, so I'm not complaining.

[Image: 20220405-172456.jpg]

[Image: 20220405-174314.jpg]

[Image: 20220405-181842.jpg]
Some of my best fishing trips have been in the most horrible conditions. I have had great days from the shore on Willard bay when the wind crashed the waves into the dikes, especially for wipers. Nice job
Gabe
Way to go Paul, that's proving me wrong again... I didn't go because of the wind... Nice job... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-06-2022, 01:23 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I drove into the north entrance on my way home from work this afternoon to check out the water levels and to also see if I could find a likely spot to soak some cut bait.  Hoping to find some cats for the table.  Wind was howling across the lake and pushing up against the east shore in waves. If I can, I really like fishing in areas where the wind is pushing up against the shore.  Walked out a ways around the bay I wanted to fish so my offerings would be upstream from the wind blown current.  Yep, the cats were there and it didn't take long and I had a double.  I proceeded to catch another 4 in the howling wind over the next 45 min.  Not fast fishing but fun for sure.  These aren't contest fish, but I love Willard cats on the table or smoker.  Standard cookie cutters up to 23" long. It was cold, but heck I go ice fishing, so I'm not complaining.

Great report and very nice haul for such a short amount of time. So you think the fish were close to shore? How far from shore were you casting out and what was your bait of choice. I would say, that was very fast action for this time of the year, especially fishing from shore. I think your idea of fishing on the shore where the wind is blowing to was a good one, you could have even picked up some eyes doing that, good plan.
(04-06-2022, 04:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Great report and very nice haul for such a short amount of time. So you think the fish were close to shore? How far from shore were you casting out and what was your bait of choice. I would say, that was very fast action for this time of the year, especially fishing from shore. I think your idea of fishing on the shore where the wind is blowing to was a good one, you could have even picked up some eyes doing that, good plan.

I think they were there because the wind was blowing into that area. I was casting out as far as I could throw and that was probably over 100 ft or more. It was still shallow where they were at, most popping up to the surface soon after hook-up.  Two came out of the water like a trout, whole bodies going airborne. I was using sucker pieces.  I really thought I had a chance at a wiper or two with those conditions, but nothing other than cats

(04-06-2022, 12:12 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Paul, that's proving me wrong again... I didn't go because of the wind... Nice job... Jeff

Go when you can.  The fish might not cooperate but sometimes they do!  Thanks
Paul, nice bunch for the table.  That weight shown, was that the total of what's in the bucket ? 

Looks like soon as I get my boat trailer bearings serviced, it's time to get on the water.  Of course I won't get the boat on Willard when the wind is that strong.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(04-06-2022, 06:15 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Paul, nice bunch for the table.  That weight shown, was that the total of what's in the bucket ? 

Looks like soon as I get my boat trailer bearings serviced, it's time to get on the water.  Of course I won't get the boat on Willard when the wind is that strong.

Forest, yes, that was the weight of all the fish in the bucket.  I wouldn't be out in my boat with wind like that either.