Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer board Question
Does anyone have the dimensions of a good big DIY planer board?  Mine won’t pull out to the side very well so I’m wondering how to fix it. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Go check youtube
(04-08-2022, 04:36 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Does anyone have the dimensions of a good big DIY planer board?  Mine won’t pull out to the side very well so I’m wondering how to fix it. Thanks Jeff

I to had that problem ,  I made some they worked ok,  my biggest complaint was storing them, big bulky,  I'm running a mast on the bow and release clips that slide down to the board,  I finally bit the bullet and got a couple church tackle TX-44, they are bigger and so far can handle running cranks out to the side, still with it was easy to get the plastic piece  out the side off easy or if it would run with out that would be great, so far testing is it has to be there.

I don't like the board connected to the fishing line, pop it out of the release like you would on a downrigger, fight fish not planer board.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Dubob has a set of plans that he has posted several time about making your own boards but they are big and take up a lot of space in the boat. I much prefer the smallest Church brand planner board, they are easy to reel in, even when fighting a fish or they have the release feature that if set light enough, they will release and slide down to the fish. Here is a link to the one I like:
https://churchtackle.com/products/tx-12-...aner-board
I've got some DIY's that fold up so they are not as bulky.  Double board set up.  Get some pic in a minute.

I have been boat less for a few years so they have been gathering dust...literally.  But you can see the basic design.  
These pics are from 2 boards, The Port board is shown with out it's attachment eye bolt but the other board shows the bolt in place on 1 piece of thee starboard board.

One thing that is noticeable in the pic is the different holes in inside starboard board, so that the angle of pull can be adjusted.  The farther back from center you place the line attachment, the more angle away from the boat the planer has.  This is also affected by the distance from the planer the line attachment is. Mine is kind of long.(lever) [Image: 20220408-080504.jpg]

To store, unfasten one end of the center cross piece and the other 2 pivot and the 2 boards fold flat to each other.  This center cross piece should have multiple holes in it as well for adjustment of the length of the overall planner for wave conditions.  The photo (pinterest) I worked from had metal extensions on the front for even more pull, But I didn't find I needed them.
I think the angle is 60 degrees and the rake is 15.
Have you tried changing where you hook the tow line to the board, position will change the “bite” of the board
We use Amish outfitters planner boards off a Cisco planer system and they work amazing
Thanks everyone for your tips and help. I built my board from Bobs design, but I don’t have the correct location to hook onto it so it bites well. Might be I set it up for my toon and I’m trying to move it to a much bigger boat and maybe speed and height of pull make a difference. I have the little on line boards, but I don’t really like them, I want the big board with releases so when I get a fish it’s just fish you are fighting. I really like this type method and hope I can get it figured out. Thanks again everyone. Jeff
(04-09-2022, 05:03 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks everyone for your tips and help. I built my board from Bobs design, but I don’t have the correct location to hook onto it so it bites well. Might be I set it up for my toon and I’m trying to move it to a much bigger boat and maybe speed and height of pull make a difference. I have the little on line boards, but I don’t really like them, I want the big board with releases so when I get a fish it’s just fish you are fighting. I really like this type method and hope I can get it figured out. Thanks again everyone. Jeff
Jeff, I changed my board attachment system a couple years back to a small chain replacing the eye-bolt.  Now I can attach the line with better precision instantly to get the board out where it needs to be.  I am on the road this week, but will be back next week and can put up a picture of the new chain attachment.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks Bob that sounds like a great idea, I look forward to the pictures... later Jeff
Jeff,

Here is the mod I made to both my boards.

[Image: IMG-20220414-082929-1.jpg]     [Image: IMG-20220414-082932-1.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(04-14-2022, 03:37 PM)dubob Wrote: Jeff,

are those single or double boards, cant tell on the pics.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-14-2022, 04:23 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: are those single or double boards, cant tell on the pics.
They are double boards.  Here is what they looked like before putting the chain attachment on them.

[Image: Planner-Boards-002-400.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks Bob, I'll try something like that so I can get mine adjusted so it pulls out better. I used your idea with tin and foam floats on top... It worked well before, so I'm not sure what I tweaked that changed it... Only thing I did was go from a braid line to a paracord... Maybe the extra weight in the line is causing the issues, but hopefully the chain will give me a lot of new adjustment points to try... Thanks... Jeff
The chains are genius.  I will be doing that to mine for sure.  Thanks for the pictures.
In Idaho and Washington there is a supplier of boards called Jenny's Frisky Fly if I Recall correctly. I had a dealer that had a couple on display but did not carry them anymore so I was allowed to take measurements. They are build almost if not exactly like dubob's. I sure wish I had kept those boards when I moved.
Sorry, I am not sure I understand what the chain is for or how to use it.  Can someone explain?  I store mine in a case that I got from Cabelas....

[Image: planer-board.png]
(04-22-2022, 08:25 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Sorry, I am not sure I understand what the chain is for or how to use it.  Can someone explain?  I store mine in a case that I got from Cabelas....

That is only used for the home made side planer, see below, it controls the angle of the board and how it pulls away from the boat.

[Image: bobs-side-planer.jpg]
(04-22-2022, 09:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 08:25 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Sorry, I am not sure I understand what the chain is for or how to use it.  Can someone explain?  I store mine in a case that I got from Cabelas....

That is only used for the home made side planer, see below, it controls the angle of the board and how it pulls away from the boat.

[Image: bobs-side-planer.jpg]
Got it.  Thanks for explaining....
(04-14-2022, 03:37 PM)dubob Wrote: Jeff,

Hey Bob, did you use a marine paint?
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF