Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
planer board mast reel
I built a planer board mast this winter but I am at a loss as to what to use for the line reel.
I see some real expensive options for sale but figured some on here would have figured a good option for the line without that much expense.
(04-09-2022, 03:53 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I built a planer board mast this winter but I am at a loss as to what to use for the line reel.
I see some real expensive options for sale but figured some on here would have figured a good option for the line without that much expense.

I have been playing with an idea for a mast as well.

In my wife fishing collection I came across an old trolling rod, Kind of like the feel of a T post. With it was a reel filled with lead core. After removing the lead core I respooled some 30# mono, enough to get the planner out out where I thought it should be. Anyway the reel is large enough to retrieve the planner board with out too much problem. The rod is stiff enough to support the drag.

rj
The first time I was involved fishing with planer boards was on Lake Superior 20yrs ago on a private 28' fishing boat that was loaded which had 6 electric downriggers and independent masts for each side of the boat. We ran 4 lines on downriggers & 3ea lines on each planer board for just 3 of us. If I were to use planer boards I would run independent masts. From what I have been seeing is a single mast either mounted fwd of the windshield in an open bow or just aft of the helm area centered in the boat.
I would say check eBay for supplies/parts needed for a mast.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-10-2022, 10:19 PM)Mr. J Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 03:53 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I built a planer board mast this winter but I am at a loss as to what to use for the line reel.

In my wife fishing collection I came across an old trolling rod, Kind of like the feel of a T post. With it was a reel filled with lead core. After removing the lead core I respooled some 30# mono, enough to get the planner out out where I thought it should be. Anyway the reel is large enough to retrieve the planner board with out too much problem. The rod is stiff enough to support the drag.

rj
The mast I built this winter fits into the front pedestal seat base.  I made it 6' tall with 3 sections each 2' long so it stores easily.  I have thought of welding on a couple of hooks on each side about a foot apart to loop the line around.  Was hoping for a better option.
(04-11-2022, 12:45 AM)PACMEN Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 10:19 PM)Mr. J Wrote:

rj
The mast I built this winter fits into the front pedestal seat base.  I made it 6' tall with 3 sections each 2' long so it stores easily.  I have thought of welding on a couple of hooks on each side about a foot apart to loop the line around.  Was hoping for a better option.
That's what I did, made the mast to fit in the pedestal hole on the bow section. Just so happened that a piece of 2" PVC lightly sanded on the OD fit snug enough I feel confident it will hold up. Inside the PVC, are two plugs with a 1 1/8" hole in each, separated to receive the butt of the rod, the other fits near the reel seat for a solid fit.

rj
I built my planer board mast and reels several years ago.
I posted photos here on Bigfish Tackle but they are long gone by now.
I'll try and post them again.
[Image: DCP-0001.jpg]

[Image: DCP-0002.jpg]

[Image: DCP-0003.jpg]

[Image: DCP-0006.jpg]

[Image: DCP-0008.jpg]

I used one for several years until I changed boats last year. My mast had cable running to the planer boards. One of the things to be careful of is speed, I troll very slow for Kokanee with them and if a wave hits the cable it will take it down and pull the planer board towards the back of the boat which will end in cable in your motor if you don't see it fast and increase speed immediately. They are highly effective here and I've pretty much kept it to myself honestly. I'm just using offshore tackles in line planers now and it isn't nearly as fun as using the mast and big boats. I used a Big Jon mast and  Big Jon boats and they work much better than the handmade wood ones and can be seen by passing boats easier as they are blaze orange, Flaming Gorge is a train wreck of boat captains who quite literally can't grab their own rear end with a handful of fish hooks when it comes to not running over your boards or you if you're crazy enough to be out there after noon on a Saturday. I've heard people use braid but also heard braid will constrict when it dries out and can crack your reels, no idea if that's true or not.
I used kite reels from Amazon. The poles are flag poles from Railblaza.

[Image: IMG-0096.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0095.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0098.jpg]
Where did you find the mounting hardware  for the reels and  and top pully?

Thanks, rj
(04-13-2022, 01:09 AM)Mr. J Wrote: Where did you find the mounting hardware  for the reels and  and top pully?

Thanks, rj

1.5 inch 1/4-20 SS bolts holding the reel to the bar mounts. I used 3/8" to 1/4-20 threaded inserts I got at Ace hardware as nuts.  Links to the rest:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0791NB4FM?p...ct_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076J9PTPN?p...ct_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09C58RBRD?p...ct_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086S37BW5?p...ct_details

https://www.railblaza.com/uses/freshwater-fishing/
Good info! Thanks for your time and post.  rj
I currently am using a plastic line spool modified with a tension bolt, but had been planning on using the rattle reels for ice houses, they are only like $10 each, however I really like those kite reels and may change my plans... Thanks for posting on the topic... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!