Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Friday
Took 2 buddies up to deer creek on Friday. Started about 10:00 on the west side from the damn buoys up past the boat ramp back and forth. Through everything at them and no one bite for over 3 hours. Very strange for us as we usually do very well in this area. Finally swallowed our pride and headed up to the other end of the lake. Stated fishing past the island and wham. Over 12 fish in the next 30 minutes. All we fat and healthy, but all between 14-16.5 inches. Beautiful day with good people. Off the lake by 2:30 and heading home. Mostly trolling at 1.3 and green was the color of choice today.
We fished Deer Creek last Thurs.
We fished from island north about mid lake.
Morning did best with downriggers 5' to 10' deep. Afternoon catching shallow slowed so I dropped my presentation to 20' and 30'. (double rig on downrigger) My bride stayed at 10'. I was getting twice as many as she was but I can't seem to get her to change with the conditions. She is either gonna make em bite where she wants em to or she doesn't want to catch em. Most likely she has caught enough that she is glad for the slow down.
Catching was a bit slower than last week. Fish about same size as yours.
Last week the catching was best on Apex.
Thurs. it was best on a squid or Smiley. Smiley was green. All were behind flashers.
I think I am headed south to Otter next time out. Can't seem to get much for size at Deer Creek now.

Two times I have moved into the Wallsburg arm because wind has picked up. Neither time have I even scored a hit. Wondering if folks here have had the same experience or ?.
If you want good sized rainbows go to starvation.
I fished Deer Creek from the shore Saturday morning.   Caught 1 brown and 1 rainbow about 2 pounds each.
(04-10-2022, 01:54 AM)PACMEN Wrote: We fished Deer Creek last Thurs.
We fished from island north about mid lake.
Morning did best with downriggers 5' to 10' deep.  Afternoon catching shallow slowed so I dropped my presentation to 20' and 30'.  (double rig on downrigger)  My bride stayed at 10'.  I was getting twice as many as she was but I can't seem to get her to change with the conditions.  She is either gonna make em bite where she wants em to or she doesn't want to catch em.  Most likely she has caught enough that she is glad for the slow down.
Catching was a bit slower than last week.  Fish about same size as yours.
Last week the catching was best on Apex.
Thurs. it was best on a squid or Smiley.  Smiley was green.  All were behind flashers.
I think I am headed south to Otter next time out.  Can't seem to get much for size at Deer Creek now.

Two times I have moved into the Wallsburg arm because wind has picked up.  Neither time have I even scored a hit.  Wondering if folks here have had the same experience or ?.
If you want bigger rainbows on Deer creek, try jigging near the break lines on rocky shores. I catch big rainbows and big browns by mistake while jigging slowly for walleye. The crazy trout will bite just like a walleye this time of year. You get all excited thinking you scored a walleye and just to be disappointed by a trout. Lol.
Gabe