Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle
here is a screen shot of Jordanelle  Kokanee they are on top at Flaming gorge right now they are down deep 

[Image: snp0411220818.jpg]

[Image: snp0712214801.jpg]
Does the shot at jordanelle tell you how deep they are now? It seems they are in a tight group.
(04-14-2022, 05:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Does the shot at jordanelle tell you how deep they are now?  It seems they are in a tight group.

When using the 360, like the pics Robert posted, it does not show depth, just the distance from the boat and the direction from where the boat is located.
In the past few years since Kokes were planted in Jordanelle. I catch 90% of kokanee at Jordanelle all season from April to august at 10 feet and less even when surface temps are in the high 60’s. I’ve caught many, many kokes there usually limits pretty fast until Last year. It was tough at Jordanelle for me at any depth.
I still believe now with so many fish eaters of size , the koke numbers are lower than in the past several years. DWR planted lots of Splake , wipers, cutthroat and some musky. Interesting for as many splake they have planted don’t see it heat of many being caught. I’ve only caught 2, but usually don’t fish how and where you would expect to catch them. I think that make it harder for lots of koke fry to make it to catchable size. They are still there for sure but don’t seem to be in the numbers that were there 2018,2019,2020. Usually boat limits in as fast as an hour to just a few hours.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I completely agree with you mildog, lots of mouths to feed.
I looked at the kokanees stocking for Jordanelle the last years,
2019--206,850
2020--132,000
2021--1,200,400

Looks like 2020 was poor, more predators than food.
Yep and it usually the second year after the planting that you expect to see them in the harvest. Low numbers of Kokes put in 2020 lots of hungry wipers and check out the number of splake they put in the last few years . Don’t expect much for kokes, rainbows are bigger when planted so it should be decent for rainbows, but there are better lakes to chase bows in with less “power squadron “.
There are also other good koke options in and out of state but , it was sure nice to have a place so close.
I've been watching Anderson lake Idaho. Good kokanees but a long drive and out of state costs.
Kokanees are in some other utah resavors but not big numbers, or big sizes.
Strawberry is of course the exception, good number and good size and big numbers of people chasing them, but it still produces well.
I think there are a couple more that may surprise this year. Im going to try a few new and might make a trip or two up to idaho and other states.
Looks like it will cost more to travel though.
Good Luck!
How has the recruitment been at Jordonelle? I know they were hoping for good spawning in the river, does it happen? Or do you think the spike from a couple of hundred thousand to a million more than that is because the spawn isn't successful?
One of the themes in the program is to stock into res. that have some chance of natural reproduction. East Canyon, Rockport, Jordonelle, Strawberry, Flaming gorge, Causey all have inlets that could support spawning.
(04-18-2022, 02:18 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I completely agree with you mildog,  lots of mouths to feed.
I looked at the kokanees stocking for Jordanelle the last years,
2019--206,850
2020--132,000
2021--1,200,400

Looks like 2020 was poor, more predators than food.

They just posted 2022 kokanee planting for Jordanelle -  132,500. That's it..
Anybody know what the survival to maturity rate is on these koke plants? I was watching a Minnesota DNR walleye transplanting, and the fish biologist there on duty said they expect a 3 percent survival rate...Could we expect at least 10 percent? if so, that would mean about 13,250 mature kokes available for that year, plus whatever survived a year before and after...Still, that's not much for numbers, unless the percent survival is a lot higher...13,250 kokes would be gone in about 3 weeks at Strawberry...
Can any of you successfully kokanees fisherman/women. Tell me if your catching kokes, with a slow non-aggressive troll? Longer setback. Smaller presentation.
I'm not trying to steal your fish, just interested to know if the talk is accurate for spring technique.
Took my new, smaller canoe up today just to see how it would behave. I've been paddling my 16' Old Town Penobscot for 38 years, but bought a 12' Esquif Adirondack recently for duck hunting. No FF, downriggers, rod holders, trolling motor, no nothing. Flat lined a dodger/squid combo from the PWC ramp over to the south shore east of the dam. Had one short strike in ~3 hours, no fish. Good news, the new boat did just fine. Should work very well for ducks.

I'll be heading up in my fishing boat in maybe two weeks.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(04-22-2022, 03:15 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Can any of you successfully kokanees fisherman/women. Tell me if your catching kokes, with a slow non-aggressive troll? Longer setback. Smaller presentation. 
I'm not trying to steal your fish, just interested to know if the talk is accurate for spring technique.

Yes it can be very effective if the fish are in the top of the water column, the trouble is that (here’s where Robert’s electronics show the story) because your not seeing fish on the normal FF we assume they are high in the water column, where they actually may not be in that area.